1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

The 15/16 Great Big Football/Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Tesla, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Tesla

Tesla Auror

Someone complained that The Great Big EPL Thread was too big to load on mobile. Also, the title was a bit of a misnomer since conversation wasn't just restricted to the EPL. So, here's a new thread. Ignore the old one. The grass is greener here.

2. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Posting so it shows up on 'participated' etc.

Actually, see that BS with Mourinho and Eva Carneiro?

3. Meerkats

Meerkats High Inquisitor

I seriously hope it's all rumour. And even if true it must have been a bigger issue than what we've seen regarding Hazard etc.

4. Gengar

High Score:
    From what I've gathered, a Chelsea player was 'injured' and she ran on to treat him. Mourinho had a hissy fit a s soon as she did then after the game he said something about her 'not understanding the game'.

She's still the head first team doctor, but is no longer to travel with the matchday squad.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I've understandably been on Mugabe media lockdown since the weekend, lol...

5. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

She's not only not allowed to travel with the matchday squad, she's been banned from the bench, training sessions, and the team hotel.

Apparently Hazard also was the one who requested she and the other physios come on in the first place.

https://twitter.com/JacquiOatley/status/630332550775500801

6. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

There's the genius side to Mourinho, and then there's this dark, ugly side that I hate. Eva was just doing her job, and I think he's just looking for someone to blame for the draw. It's the siege, point-fingers mentality he always adopts when things go wrong. I hope it's only rumor that Eva's banned from practice sessions and the bench, but seems pretty legit. Sigh. We don't need this sort of fractious atmosphere right at the start of the season with the title defense on the line.

7. Gengar

High Score:
    Honestly? Given Terry played every minute of every game last season, the dinosaur that he is, I hope Gazidis throws all the money at her.

She can play centre forward, as far as I'm concerned, if she can keep Alexis, Özil and Kos fit...

8. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I really need to stay away from all newspapers and forums whenever Arsenal lose because every single time the retards come flooding out of the woodworks. It's kind of amazing and it's the same bullshit every single time.

9. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Villa sign Adama Traore, he would be perfect for the toon :(

Meanwhile we've been linked with Vestegaard and Willems alongside Guerreiro and Austin.

Torino haven't signed anyone since releasing Darmian so assume we might be going into the season as is, which with no European Football and some canny additions has me hoping for a Top 6 finish.

10. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Stoke will be very entertaining side this season. Expecting great things from them.

11. DerHesse

DerHesse High Inquisitor

I honestly don't like the way things have been going at Bayern since Guardiola was confirmed. That he learned german in just a year deserves credit, but now it feels like he did it only for the press conferences ("Player X ist super super super"). His whole coaching staff and his confidants on the pitch are spanish or speak spanish, there are even rumours, that most german speaking players don't even understand what he wants and now couple this with his furious gesticulation.

And the way Rumenigge and Sammer ("he's the maestro of our orchestra") keep on gushing about him makes me sick. Just think about the whole Dr. Müller-Wohlfahrt fiasco, in light of the recent Carneiro-stuff at Chelsea, only that Guardiola seems to be doing these things behind somebody's back.

I honestly want Ancelotti to come, use this fantastic squad and calm things down.

12. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Hasn't he won consecutive league titles? Can you really ask for much more?

13. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery Prestige

High Score:
    Agree with this statement. In the absence of their captain, Shawcross, they still made life very difficult for us, and the one obvious problem they had was a lack of creativity from the center attacking midfield position. Shaquiri is someone I've rated highly for a few years now and I think that's one hell of a coup for them. I think Stoke will be fighting for the top 7 right there with Southampton and Crystal Palace (Cabaye was a great signing for them).

On another note, I heard during the match that Glen Johnson had been quoting as saying that, for all LFC's spending, we are no better than last year. I get your frustration with being let go, but holy shit, are you blind? No way we haven't got an improved squad.

As for Mourinho, how much of this is reporting spinning it out of control?

14. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

To be fair, winning the league is pretty much the expectation at Bayern, and anything else is seen as a major failure. Considering the team that he inherited, and the money spent afterwards, Bayern should probably expect better in the Champions League from the team.

And the Chelsea medical staff drama is probably just classic Mourinho diversion tactic, he's been doing it all his career, and the press is eating it up again. Eva will be back at the bench, if not this weekend, the next at last.

And Don, agreed on Southampton getting a great deal on Cabaye. And Southampton are just a class side as well. This season will surely be very entertaining, I'd wager that we'll have the most competitive season in ages.

15. Tesla

Tesla Auror

I think for Bayern fans, the problem isn't necessarily their results in the Champions League. They lost both times to the eventual champion. The first time - well, no one's ever retained the CL. The second time - injuries plus Neymar/Suarez/Messi.

The issue is probably more the manner of defeats. In neither semi final were they competitive. That's very dissapointing. Also I hear complaints about the Spanish influence on the team, but that seems mostly unfounded. They don't have that many Spanish players, and it's only natural that he has a Spanish staff since he himself is Spanish/Catalan.

Different topic: Mourinho is an amazing manager. We knew this. Mourinho is an asshole. We knew this. Nothing new has happened. People like to write off all of his assholery as tactical dickishness, but sometimes you can see that he really can't control himself.

Also, the PL sides outside of the top 4 are really strong this year. Will be lots of tough games with Liverpool, Spurs, Southampton, Swansea, Stoke, Crystal Palace and Everton all sitting outside the CL spots. Could cost English sides in Europe.

16. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Yeah, clearly Clyne wasn't an upgrade from the last burned-out relic we had at RB. I was so, SO happy to see Johnson get repeatedly picked off, dispossessed, and miss a chip-shot and not have to bitch about it afterwards for once.

I was really quite pleased to see Gomez play so well too, despite a few stark reminders that he's still 18. Overall, I think he and Clyne will really shore us up provided everyone can stay healthy.

17. sollol

sollol Second Year

One thing that has to be said in Pep's defense is that he wanted and seemed to be able to actually get Neymar, but the Bayern management (Sammer, Rummenigge, Hoeneß) vetoed the idea and bought him Götze. Bayern lost against Barcelona because Barca had Messi, Neymar and Suarez, while Bayern were without Robben (who I think is equal to Suarez and Neymar) and Ribbery. As a consequence, they were a bit toothless going forward and the less said about Götze the better. Imagine Neymar playing for Bayern that game, I believe it would have been a very different game.

With much of the other criticicm I agree. I believe it should not be overlooked that Hoeneß was absent for most of the time of Pep's reign, and I think that he would not have stood for some of the things Pep did. Hoeneß has always been the smartest and most powerful person at Bayern, and neither Sammer or Rummenigge can compare to him, especially Sammer.

I am convinced that the Bundesliga - that starts this Friday btw - will be a lot closer this season. I hope that Bayern will have a much harder time this year, Dortmund will be formidable again with their new manager Tuchel, so will Leverkusen and Gladbach.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  18. Gengar

High Score:
    Any Spanish football fans who watch more than the YouTube clips I've watched, how's Krychowiak?

Arsenal supposedly scouting him. He looks big and strong, and the clips are nice, but how's his general play? Positional discipline? Touch?

I know nothing about him :-/

I ask because Jack and Rosicky seemingly out long term may actually force Wenger's hand.

19. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Pep also really opposed selling Kroos, so he definitely hasn't always had things go his way.

Although I certainly don't want to defend Götze (and I take some pleasure in seeing him stranded on Bayern's bench), it has to be said that he hasn't been utilised in a way that capitalises on his strengths. He's been out of position and asked to do things that he never did at Dortmund. Maybe that will help him grow into a superior player in the long run, but for now it's reducing the impact he can have on the field. The same applies to Lewandowski to a lesser extent. Lewandowski was a monster in front of goals while at Dortmund. Now.... much less so. That comes down to how he's being employed.

Klopp's Dortmund and Heynckes' Bayern were the best counter-attacking squads in the world, superior even to Mourinho's Real Madrid. Dortmund especially excelled in this, and Götze was the ideal playmaker for those tactics. Bayern's mistake was in buying the best counter-attacking midfielder at the same time they brought in the world's pre-eminent possession-oriented manager. Götze just isn't suited for what Pep wants from the team. If Götze was still at BVB playing in Klopp's Gegenpressing system, people wouldn't be comparing him unfavourably to Neymar right now.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  20. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Seventh Year

I'm not sure how much people care about the Super Cup in Spain, but Barca just got fucking destroyed 4-0 in the first leg by Bilbao and it was amazing. They're still the best team in the world right now but it's pretty crazy that they've conceded four goals two games in a row.

I'm sure they'll be a lot of talk about their dodgy defence now - and people will point out it obviously wasn't their best starting eleven - but Bilbao played fantastically the entire match, just constant pressing and desire to get every ball, the athleticism was exhausting just to watch. If you didn't watch the game I'd recommend trying to find a place to download it.

The first goal was just so satisfying to watch