1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The Aberforth Alternative by Lord Jeram - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Photon, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Photon

Photon Order Member

Title: The Aberforth Alternative
    Author: Lord Jeram
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    Library Category: The Alternates
    Summary: "A chance occurrence causes Harry's life to change when he gains an unlikely confidant in Aberforth Dumbledore, the 'Other Dumbledore'. A series of scenes."
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/10498334/1/The-Aberforth-Alternative
    WbA link: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?p=739657#post739657

Short story with interesting AU and some nicely done ideas that frequently are mutilated by independent!monochrome!Harry stories. Also, Aberforth Dumbledore as a mentor.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Definitely gets my vote. But then I'm biased. Badass story.

3. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm pretty impressed with this story. The way that its told disjointedly only adds to the appeal of finishing it; regrettably, this could have been a much longer story, and I think you will hear some complaints that it was rushed. That said, it is easy to read, inventive, and honestly very fun, which I think is what you were going for. Harry and Cedric's interaction was pretty much what you'd expect from two boys, but Aberforth has always been an intriguing character for me, and you put a new spin on him that I really liked.

4.5/5, and I'll go ahead and rate it 5 stars.

4. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

Whaat? It doesn't make any sense to me. It just jumps around all the time and I don't understand what author wanted to say by that denouement. Call me ignorant, but I just don't get it. 2/5.

5. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

I definitely like the premise, and I can't remember ever having read another story with Aberforth as Harry's mentor. Which, to be honest, is a shame - the 'other' Dumbledore is pretty badass.

The length, however, bothered me. The only plot point that was somewhat expanded on, was the first task of the Triwizard tournament; and even there, Aberforth's involvement was rather short-lived.

I would have loved to see more interaction between him and Harry. Also, the following dialogue made me pause and jarred me out of the narrative.

It's not about what Aberforth says, but rather Harry's reaction to it. There is someone who doesn't care at all about his fame, which is something quite unusual, and instead of accepting it happily and keeping quiet, Harry 'bristled in annoyance'?

Why? I just can't imagine Harry would start to whine about the burden of being famous after someone tells him he doesn't care. Maybe that's just me though.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  6. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

I agree with Eilyfe's point; that was something that definitely pulled me out of the story for a moment.

I would give this a 5/5, because I really enjoyed the whole premise of it. While I would've liked to see more interactions with Aberforth and the 'Seeker's Club', I think it only be hinted at makes it work well as a one shot. Hopefully, Jeram decides to continue this.

7. Trulle

Trulle Second Year DLP Supporter

I especially liked Cedrics and Chos characterization - nice to see a pre-dead-boyfriend Cho!

With that minor glitch already talked about, I still vote

5/5

8. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Okay, perhaps I'll change it.

9. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Pretty much average from my perspective.

The premise seems to be about Aberforth being an alternative mentor to Harry, but I didn't see much of Aberforth at all. He was more like a character providing guest appearances than anything else.

Apart from that, the fic simply looks like a slightly less angsty canon-Harry story.
    Its not detailed enough to say that Aberforth actually made a difference, nor is it short/concentrated enough to say its a character piece.

I would say 3/5. Good read when I'm bored, but not for the library.