1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Art of Cursing

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by RottedKarma, Aug 15, 2018.

1. RottedKarma

RottedKarma First Year

High Score:
    So, cursing. Swearing. When used in text as an adjective, when does it go from being unnecessary and awkward crude language to being actually effective emphasis? As an example,

As opposed to,

I mean, it's relatively obvious that the two are different in terms of effectiveness, I was just wondering how, or why that is.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Occasionally the emphasis on the curse word overpowers the sentence. It breaks immersion quite easily.

Sometimes it can be the perfect moment in a scene for a curse word and it will work really well but when you read it and find yourself thinking, "that worked well," it's still a bad thing.

I generally avoid swearing in my writing as much as possible because in the end whether or not it's well executed is irrelevant. It can still break immersion.

3. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I generally try to avoid it entirely unless it's part of a character's thoughts or dialogue. If you're writing in first person it's a lot easier to get away with, depending on who the POV is.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Cursing is situational and when it's like in my examples you quoted it breaks flow. Why was the word fucking necessary there? That's my point. It wasn't so it could be removed with littlest damage to the sentence.

5. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agree with Seratin and Wise, but I'll add that if you're writing humour, tongue-in-cheek or outright crack, swearing in the narration is generally easier to stomach as a reader.

6. RottedKarma

RottedKarma First Year

High Score:
    Huh, thanks for the feedback. One more question; how would you swear in order to not break flow? (In narration, not dialogue)

7. Zombie

Depends on the scenario.

I was thirsty and I didn't have anything to drink in the house. It was 12 am, the shops were probably closed. Despite my better judgement I went to the bodega around the corner. The lights were still on. Fuck yeah!

That conveys excitement, and is a part of the narrative, but there for emphasis. It's emphasising happiness at the shops still being open.

Versus:

I was fucking thirsty. I didn't have a fucking thing to drink in the house. Fuck, it's 12am, I bet all the fucking shops are closed. Despite my better judgement, I went to that fucking shitty bodega around the corner. The lights were still fucking on. Fuck yeah!

8. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ironically, I now want to read the second story more.

9. RottedKarma

RottedKarma First Year

High Score:
    So, use as emphasis instead of as an adjective. Or does saying 'Fuck yeah' could as an adjective?

Also, noticed how the topic of swearing centers mostly around saying 'fuck'. I'm assuming that shit, damn, crap, etc. are more flexible in being used well.

10. Zombie

Shit! I stubbed my toe.

Damn, I missed the game.

Shit! I fucking stubbed my shitty toe.

Fuck I missed the damn game.

I struck out. Crap.

Take a walk, motherfucker.

I mean, really just depends. Overuse is what I was showing more than anything. It works in most cases where its for emphasis. But isn't really necessary.

11. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Also, one should note that it makes a huge difference if you're writing in the first person vs. third person.