1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The cannon super power.

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by PWIZDUO, Sep 21, 2012.

Not open for further replies.
  1. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

Right so I'm looking for stories with lots of LOVE :nyan:............:facepalm

No, actually I was always bugged that after CoS cannon Harry never really took advantage of his abilities a Parseltongue. It seams like a great gift, canonically something that a very few wizards can do but that harry can. Why didn't harry get a snake as a pet instead of hedwig? Why didn't harry ever return to the chamber of secrets or investigate other parsletongue protected places of slytherin? Why didn't harry.......x......y.....z.....?

Are there any stories out there in which Harry (or other parsletongue OC or otherwise) really exploits his gift? I am not looking for stories where harry magically becomes god of the world because he is a parseltongue and there for can cast infinitely powerful god spells. I'm more thinking along the lines of Jbern's fic where Bill and the other guys were conjuring monkeys and watching the effects on them, when harry said, I can do you one better and talk to my curious georges.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I think your Caps Lock key is broken. Might want to look into getting that fixed ASAP.

The only story that immediately comes to mind is A Year Like None Other & the sequels. They're full of angst and a Harry who acts younger than he really is, but he does make use of Parseltongue. It's probably a 3/5 story?

There are others as well. I'm sure someone else will point them out.

But seriously, Caps Lock.

3. Relic

Relic High Inquisitor

Where have you been OP? Parseltongue magic/snake pet is one of the tiredest clichés in the fandom. You could probably spend 10 minutes on FFN and find a fic that fits your criteria (plot wise). I can almost guarantee it will be terrible, though.

4. Immet

Immet Seventh Year

The only cannon super power I remember is Rocking the Boat where the Weasley twins use the cannons on Harry's galleon to take out part of Hogwarts. Or at least thats the only one I recall where it is actually relevant to the plot rather than shoved in near the beginning to show how awesome muggles are and how stupid purebloods are.

Oh, canon super power... Yeah, as Relic says there are so fucking many I lose track.

5. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

Right I know that. Which is why I'm hoping someone could recommend one that isn't shit. Doesn't have snake magic as a redonkulous god mode and isn't a Harry Sue.

6. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The so-called "R-Series" by Regulus has Harry with a pet snake he talks to. Iffy quality though, especially with the later installments.

Beyond that, all that comes to mind are the kind of fics you want to avoid where Parseltongue is made out to be more than it is.

7. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

Hmm... I think this is a great idea.

[​IMG]

I for one would love to see what a Harry with a cannon on his chest can do.

On topic, I think there was one called 'Runecrafter' or something like that that wasn't to shit. I'll see if I can find it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  8. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

9. Infidel

Infidel Auror

:facepalm
    Sigh.

Harry was a Parselmouth who spoke Parseltongue.

10. Chilli

Chilli Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Wasn't there a story where Harry uses a snake + parseltongue to heal people? I'm sure I saw it here, but definitely not in the library.

11. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Iirc Miranda Flairgolds stories has Parseltongue as a mainly healing ability. And whilst he has a snake I can't recall him using it for healing...

Why did I even post >,<

12. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6413108/1/To-Shape-and-Change

It might have crawled into the Almost Recommendable, but its not very good.

13. SilverOtter

SilverOtter Seventh Year

Sadly this is true, and most of them have him going to Draco/Snape for help and it turns into a slashy game of hide the basilisk in Harrys ass.

I have yet to see a decent fanfic with parseltongue that didn't involve slash.

14. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

"Oh God, Harry - yes! Yes, yes yes!"

Spurred on by Tonks' cries, Harry continued to hiss "Bah-Bah Blacksheep" between her legs.

There, a non-slash fan-fic involving Parseltongue. Though not decent.

15. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    There is a decent enough story about Runespoors where Harry is mentored by Snape. Search ffnet for runespoor. I remember it being okay and it wasnt slash.

EDIT: Harry Potter and the Runespoor Shield

it doesn't seem to be that good in retrospect...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  16. Infidel

Infidel Auror

Or you could try Harry Potter and the Sword of Gryffindor. Where Parseltongue is used for the same purpose, only, frequently.

17. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ask wordhammer about parseltongue... pretty sure Spiral path has it used for sex and maybe something else?

18. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Holly had found a few uses for that gift

• Able to speak to dragons as well (though they were insulted by its use, considering it a vulgar version of their language)
    • Controlled the Slytherin dorm access after talking with Slytherin's portrait in the common room (she was re-Sorted into Slytherin by then)
    • Could transform her tongue to be 10" long and fully prehensile- she used it to choke Minister Fudge at one point
    • Also... this (thanks to HoS for the real-world reference)

19. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The cannon super power is not allowed. In fact, all muggle weapons are not allowed. Otherwise, the story would be very different.

Dealing with why wizards cannot use weapons that have existed before the Statute of Secrecy (barrels of gunpowder in ambush, pot-de-fer, culverin, arquebus, etc.) and even at the time of the founding of Hogwarts (javelins, arrows, crossbows, ballistas and trebuchets) is left as an exercise for the reader.

20. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Oh - Hagrid uses a crossbow and the Centaurs are using bows. So it's more a matter of usability. Reloading is the problem - you don't need to reload your wand.

Back on topic:

There is an awesomely bad indie!Harry where he steals a battleship of her Majesty's fleet and remodels its turrets into magical supercannons.

EDIT:
    I found it: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2567429/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Power-of-Revenge

Aunt Marge visits Privet Drive and she and Harry clash. Harry gets angry, steals Hogwarts, uses it to form a new island and an independent state, and then steals a battleship or two, and stuffs them with magical supercannons.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
Not open for further replies.