1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Daily Show with Trevor Noah

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Zennith, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So, obviously Trevor Noah's taken over for Jon Stewart. I'm really curious to hear how others think he's doing - Out of the four episodes that have aired so far, I tend to think last night's show (Thursday, 10/1) was his best yet, and he seems pretty cool and confident for the most part, though not flawless. His assessment of Trump was pretty fantastic, that was definitely the highlight of the show so far in my view.

This article sums it up pretty nicely.

2. KGB

KGB Headmaster

I can't help it but compare this to Colbert's new gig and the quality of the guests is noticeably lower.

Really not a big fan of 1/3 of the show being taken up by some no name band playing a cover of a Tylor Swift song. Not his fault though, even Stewart had to interrupt his final week to have Amy Shummer on plugging her god awful movie.

3. Bob1984

Bob1984 Squib

High Score:
    I think is humor is similar in style to Stewart though not as effective. It could be that he's just nervous and hasn't settled into the position yet. We will have to wait and see.

What he does seem to lake though is Stewart's knowledge and understanding of politics. Stewart was almost a politician hosting a comedy show whereas Noah is a comedian satirizing politics.

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's early days, and he'll need time to sink into the job, but yeah, pretty much this.

He's relatively quick-witted and has the deadpan delivery down pat. Knowledge and insight into the political machine will come with time, so in a decade of exposure, he may end up being as funny or funnier than Stewart.

I sorta doubt the audience will have the patience to watch him evolve though.

5. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

I think that to expect him to be immediately as good at a live show as the guy who did the job for over a decade is unfair. He is not going to be as good as John Stewart, not yet anyway. I just hope he is given that chance to settle into the job.

6. salts

salts Third Year

Sound.

I've only ever watched his first show, and there were times in the interview when he kept talking over Kevin Hart. But I still like the Daily Show well enough, which is more than I could say for the Nightly Show; IMO, Last Week Tonight remains the best out there.

Also, not sure if it's his assessment of Trump and more that of the show's. Obviously, Jon had a lot of leeway when he was in charge, I'm unsure if Noah is afforded the same.

7. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    I wouldn't say that. I'm sure he's involved in the writing room in a major way. He'd have to be. But is he making the creative executive decisions that Stewart got to make? No, probably not. Not yet.

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It was good enough for now. It wasn't brilliant or anything but Noah is probably going to get better once he finds his stride there.

And if he doesn't, we still have Last Week Tonight.

9. paadi

paadi Muggle

High Score:
    It really annoys me that people are giving up on him so quickly. He's done only 4 episodes and people are already saying he shouldn't have gotten the job. I agree that his interviews are pretty weak (the one with Chris Christie was way too softball) , but so were Jon's in the beginning.

Also, Roy Wood Jr is hilarious.

10. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

QFT. I love me that nigger.

Seriously though, Trevor did a good job in his first week, especially if you consider what kind of shoes he has to fill. That's no easy job, and he held up quite well under all that expectation heaped on him. Give the man a chance. By the way, I also loved the few stand-up skits of him I saw on youtube.

11. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    The backlash probably would have been softer if the Daily Show had gone off the air for more than a few months. Jon's performance is still a little too fresh in everyone's mind I think.

12. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

Taking over the Daily Show from Jon was never going to be an easy job, regardless of how long it had been off air for. I like the beginnings of this new era for the Daily Show.

13. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

People forget that it takes a while to figure out a rhythm and mature a personality. Trevor has his own distinct style, which I've enjoyed independently, but these are big shoes. It's a different vehicle.

Normally I'd give it six months to a year to settle; I think he'll figure it out sooner though.

14. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    As I mentioned above, I've personally enjoyed his work so far. And whether or not it's him or the writers (or, more likely, a mix of both), it's still his name we see on the tin, just like it was Stewart's. So if we're going to hold him accountable for bits that don't go as well, we have to give him equal credit for those that do.

15. Sorrows

I had a thought, maybe he can't be as hard nosed as Jon this early on. People wanted to get onto Jon Stewart's Daily Show, it was worth the exposure even if you got hard questions or got made fun of. Perhaps Trevor has to work up to that if he wants decent bookings.

16. paadi

paadi Muggle

High Score:
    So you think he's holding back? I hope that's the case, though I believe he just doesn't know how to interview. He's a stand-up comedian so he's probably never interviewed anyone before.

Last night's episode was pretty solid, and I was happy to see Jessica Williams back.

Anyone else really annoyd by Trevor laughing at his own jokes?

17. Sorrows

I'm just saying he may be being advised to not go quite as hard as Jon did untill he is more firmly entrenched. Or he's just not that practiced at interviews yet. Either way.

18. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Have you seen his hosting of Comedy Central Africa's Steve Hofmeyer Roast? Noah knows how to give and take on-spot, he can be absolutely brutal. He just needs to adjust to the new interview/show format, figure out an acceptably nuanced manner of political commentary/actors, and yes, ease into a known quantity so he can sustain decent bookings.

From what I've seen of his past work, I've high expectations for him. He knows how to polish his style up when he needs to.