1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The 'Dangerverse' by Whydoyouneedtoknow - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Ched, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Title: Living with Danger & The Three Sequels
    Author: whydoyouneedtoknow
    Rating: T or PG-13
    Genre: General / AU
    DLP Category: AU
    Pairings: SB/OC and RL/OC, later stories have H/G DM/LL H/R and NL/OC

Status: Three Complete Stories & Fourth (Final?) in Progress

Summary: Lone wolf. Dream-seer. Bright child. Scarred child. Singer. Prisoner. Dancer child. Dragon child. Eight semi-ordinary people. One extraordinary family, and how they became one. Pre-Hogwarts story.

Link: Living with Danger, Living without Danger, Dealing with Danger, & Facing Danger

~=~=~=~=~=~~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

Yeah, yeah, I know. You're all going WTF is this getting recommended for in mah DLPz?

I'll be honest, I don't think it will make it into the library either. Until now I had always assumed that it had been tried, found wanting, and tossed out like yesterday's trash. But I checked the thread that lists all of those stories and these just aren't there. I also tossed it up in 'Almost recommended' a day or two ago and got some thoughts similar to mine.

It might not belong in the library, but personally I think it could find a spot in the Recycling Bin. Personally I rate it at a solid 3/5.

So for some background for those of you who haven't already wandered into it...

The gist of it is that Lupin takes Harry from the Dursley's when he's quite young still, then helps rescue Sirius. They, along with various other characters picked up along the way, live 'under the radar' until Harry is old enough to attend Hogwarts (at which point the second book starts).

With the second book the focus shifts from Lupin and Sirius more towards Harry and his friends because they are old enough to take on the protagonist role.

Spoilers:
    Hermione has an older sister who hooks up with Lupin, so Hermione grows up as Harry's sister. Sirius also hooks up with an OC. Narcissa decides that Lucius is a jackass and gives Draco to Sirius, adding another brother to the mix for the kids. They decide to form a "pack" which sounds ridiculous but almost works because of the age of the children. Definitely seems weird later though. Pack? Pride? Srsly?

Everything else flows from that. From the second book on Neville, Luna, Ron, and Ginny take on relatively major roles as well.

So what's the problem with it? Well, several things, but the biggest problem I have with it is that there is just so much crap in the stories that does not need to be there.

For instance, the author writes a good Harry once he gets old enough to actually play the protagonist. He's a natural leader, has weaknesses as well as strengths, is powerful for his age, and he's fun.

But instead of working with those qualities she also has him with powers of fire gifted by Godric Gryffindor, a magic necklace that does all kinds of weird shit, astral projection abilities, a secret hide-out inside Hogwarts, and on personal terms with most of the children of the original Founders (even if via dream-world).

WTF? That's the gist of it -- the stories (especially the later ones, the first one focused a bit too much on lovey-dovey family stuff) could just as easily be written without a lot of the extraneous OP/weird plot devices that get added.

I think if you took all of that extra weird stuff out, and there is a LOT of it, you'd find that the characters and plots could stand on their own and end up with some good stories. Because this author's characters don't need all that to shine. Putting it there just irks me and strikes me as sloppy.

Summary: It gets a 3/5 from me, at least until I re-read it, because despite the issues I have with it I did enjoy it and continue to keep up with it.

I just can't get into it like I wish I could with all the weird random stuff always popping up.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. Anme

Anme Professor

When I started reading it quite some time ago, I liked it enough to read a lot of it. Didn't finish but got pretty far. Certainly not library worthy but enjoyable enough. 3/5.

3. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Naw, this doesn't deserve to be on DLP imo.

Don't want it in the library, nor the recycle bin.

4. Archangel

Archangel First Year

Was a while ago I read it, but 3/5 from me.

I'd stretch for a 3.5 or 4 for the start of Living with Danger, but by later in the series I just got exhausted by all the additions and really started to lose track of what was going on with some of the characters (my attempts to follow some of the AUs and one-shots didn't really help there). Started to feel like a 2.5 by that point, then I gave up.

5. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

My post from the Almost recommended thread:

So yeah. 3/5

6. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

2/5 here, I remember being fucking bored with all this random shit before I even knew about DLP and what quality fanfiction was. I wouldn't put it in the Recycle Bin.

Although, this may very well be the only fanfic 'verse that has its own fanfics (that I know of). Some time-travel shit, but weird OCs and secret chambers and weird powers are exactly the same.

7. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I remember trying this once, but it was just too fluffy. Perhaps if I persevered I couldve gotten some enjoyment, but just... bleh. 2/5.

8. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I used to follow these stories(they were some of the earliest stories I read in the HP fandom), but now I can't seem to get past some faults that Cheddar pointed out, particularly the "falling in love in early teens" stuff.
    2/5, solely for the good writing and characters.

9. Ched

I went and re-read some of this today. Everything I said earlier still stands.

If I was recommending this on another site that catered more towards this kind of story I might see myself going up to a 4/5 as I do find it somewhat engaging.

Keeping my original rating for now though because, well, yeah. It's all already been said.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  10. Mutt

Mutt High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I vaguely remember this. I got to the part where Sirius and Random-OC-Chick had the kid who was a year or two younger than the rest. Gave up out of sheer boredom.

It really doesn't even belong in the recycling bin. If not for the nostalgia attached to it, it would most likely be more widely disregarded.

2/5, as the grammar wasn't terrible, IIRC.

11. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

If even you dont rate it high enough to be in the Library, not much point in recommending this. At least make sure the fics you try and get in library are good enough to get a 4 or 5 from you.

As for the fic, I remember reading it a long time ago.
    Was pretty boring, and I never could finish it.
    2/5

12. Ched

I'm pretty sure we can recommend fics that we think are good enough for the 'Bin but not the Library.

13. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    6/5

Hands down the greatest read fanfiction has ever produced.

14. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

If you don't think it belongs to the library, then why are you recommending it? I always thought the recyclin bin was for those rejected stories that just might turn around, not for the "almost there" type of them.

15. cold burn

cold burn Third Year

Well I remember this one and it was just boring. Not even terrible enough that it at least managed to be interesting if not enjoyable. I'd rate this a 2/5.

That said; I thought the recycling bin was for stories we thought sucked or where of a genre so far removed from what we enjoy that to us they sucked.

16. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

That's more what the Almost Recommended thread is for. The Recycle Bin is for stories that, although they were submitted for the Library, didn't quite pass the test.

However, now it's in here, might as well rate it.

17. Ched

Ah, alright. My bad in that case. I was going off of this thread (last sentence of Taure's post) from a while back (just spent a solid 10 minutes looking for that to link), but I couldn't remember who had said we could toss things we rated at 3/5 in "For Review." I had thought it was a mod that had said it but turns out I was wrong. Long time ago for me to have half remembered that and acted on it anyway. Ah well, it's done now.

Besides, I guess other stories that are only halfway done might still redeem themselves and move out of the 'Bin. This one is close enough to done that it's unlikely to make a come-back in most peoples opinions. Point taken.

I think these stories deserve at least a 3/5 because I find them to be better than a lot of the other stuff we have rated at 3/5 in the 'Bin -- but that's me and that's me rating by comparison to other stories. That's also why we have a rating system in the first place, so you can all veto it. ;)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  18. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I can't count the number of times I've tried to read this and failed. I detest everything about it. Every single character attracts my ire, and the ensemble "family" faux cheeriness and feeble attempts at making us feel like the characters have history together just makes me want to vom. I don't think I've ever got past chapter 3.

1/5.

19. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

I can't fucking believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Taure here. The sickly sweet 'all-in-the-family' atmosphere and total lack of restraint when it comes to plot and character abilities makes me want to hurl.

Get this shit off my DLP. 1/5

20. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

No, Dawkins, just no.

1/5