1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Dark Tower

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Lacoon, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Lacoon

Lacoon First Year

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/2...ephen-king-idris-elba-and-matthew-mcconaughey
    [​IMG]
    According to the article Nikolaj Arcel is set to start filming the movie in the coming weeks and an expected release date of January 13, 2017.

The movie won't start with the first book, but rather at a later point in the Series. Exactly how many books the movie will cover is still unknown.
    The Intro, however, will be the same: "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed."

2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To quote Agent Mulder, "I want to believe."

But the bits that keep floating to the surface have not been greatly tantalizing, and I doubt that what we're going to end up with will be a faithful adaptation in the way that Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy was but instead angle more toward Dragonball Evolution, ugh.

You know what? Fuck it. We're getting a Dark Tower adaptation after all of this time. And these tweets, if genuine, have just sold me on the matter of sitting through the film at least once.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  3. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh cool, I've only read the first book but I've been meaning to...

God fucking damn it.

4. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

To be honest, I can't think of a character who's race would matter less than Roland. Apart from one alternate dimension racist black woman in the second book I don't think race and racism is ever mentioned in the context of mid world.

Idris Elba is a good choice, you only have to watch beasts of no nation to know he'd make a good gunslinger. Not so sure about Matthew mcconaughey as the man in black, I just can't see it.

5. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not about the actor's performance (and this goes as much for Elba as it does James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman), but the trend. Recasting white characters is a lazy way to get minorities into media and discourages creativity, on top of being a racial slight.

Hopefully the movie will at least be good, unlike, say, Fant4stic.

6. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Professor

McConaughey definitely has the acting chops to pull this off. Though to be honest he's more in line with what I had pictured for Roland.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

My initial concern is that they'll age up Jake too much instead of finding a decent 12 year old actor. I always feel strongly that dynamics change too much when recasting children as teenagers.

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Who cares? If you can get Idris Elba to be your lead without breaking realism, you get Idris Elba to be your lead.

9. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pop in blue contacts and you're set.

10. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I've been following news of this religiously - and some script points that popped up a few months back, dismissed at the time, are looking to be more likely. This is good and bad, and I'll explain why.

Note: This could all change, but so far what has been confirmed has mirrored what was released by someone who read the script a few months ago. Possible spoilers, mild book spoilers, so I'll spoiler it:

• The movie is mainly from Jake's perspective, and starts not with Book One but partway through the cycle. Also Jake has been aged up to about 15.
    • Eddie and Susannah have been written out entirely, at least of this first movie.
    • No mention of Oy
    • Apparently, and this is why I'm still giving this adaptation the benefit of the doubt, when we're first introduced to Roland he's carrying a certain horn on his belt. Those that have read the books will understand the significance of this - the film may be the next cycle for Roland, and thus changes from the books can be accepted.
    • Perhaps instead of 19, the number of significance this time around will be 20.

So, yeah. It's rumours, but with some weight behind them given all the details that have already emerged. As it stands, I'm tentatively hopeful, even if it's not the story as Sai King put to paper.

11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Clever! I'm with Joe in that if all that is true I could give it the benefit of the doubt. It's not ideal, but... yeah, potentially awesome regardless.

12. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Surely the kid from Room would be good for the role of Jake? I think a TV series more in line with GoT would be better given the number of novels and scope of the universe.

13. NTD

NTD High Inquisitor

Well this is the best news I've heard all week. Learning from my mistakes in Harry Potter though I'm definitely not going to read the books again in my hype.

Plus if what Joe said turns out to be true they'll get an even bigger pass on minutiae checking. Hoping for blue eyes at least though.

14. Varios

Varios Third Year

I don't get why people are crying about the race aspect, they're claiming it will fundamentally alter Detta's character. I don't feel that the race aspect was the most important about Detta, it's just the vitriol and hatred that is vital which can be explored through avenues other than race.

15. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

Honestly? I hated Detta with all my guts. If they skipped that whole arc and gave me Susannah from the get go I wouldn't even be mad.

16. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Could you clarify/link a story

Oh and Aviary you need to chill about the Elba casting, he's a phenomenal actor and I think he could do the role great justice so nothing else matters.

Unlike you, he won't forget the face of his father.

17. Varios

Varios Third Year

It wasn't really a specific article, it was mainly reading the reactions of all the brogressives on Reddit.

18. dilbert24

dilbert24 Squib

High Score:
    I have started but never finished the Dark Tower series. With the recent announcement, I am much more motivated to finish reading before the movie releases.

19. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    About where did you leave off? The series has some wild ideas in play as things progress.