1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Darkness II

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Red Aviary, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I didn't see a thread for it yet, so I thought I'd make one.

I just got done playing the demo on Steam. Pretty fun. A lot of the issues I had with the last game seem to have been fixed -- it looks like you get to start with better powers than you did before, where you had to wait until mid-game to get the useful ones, and the gunplay feels much better. Though that might have been because I played the first game on the 360 and used a mouse and keyboard for the demo.

The new cel-shaded graphics work for the game. It's not annoying to look at, as it is in some games, and it provides a very comic book-y feel.

The story looks intriguing, but there isn't enough in the game for me to judge it just yet.

It'll probably be a while before I actually buy the game. Money's tight at the moment. It'll be released in February.

2. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pre-ordered it the moment I saw it on Steam, I'm a massive fan of the Darkness comics and I loved the first game as well so it was a complete given.

3. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Yeah the first Darkness was unreal. Admittedly the story is what made it for me, the combat was pretty average. The Darkness II seems to have totally fixed this for me though - quad wielding in the steam demo was great fun.

That said still feel like a controller is better for it than keyboard. I guess it's just that the way they've mapped grabby and slashy on pc bugs me a little.

4. Tareth

Tareth Squib

Apparently there is really bad FOV problems with the game. Apparently it is to small.

Total Biscuit did a small intro to the game in today's Mailbox, and he's doing a WTF about it soon.

5. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Took a look at the trailer there and tbh, the graphics look like 2005. :/

6. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Yeah the screenshots don`t make it look as good as it is, in motion the game looks pretty sick. Or maybe they just paid special attention to the executions. I also recall reading somewhere that they were using a combination of hand-drawn and rendered environments or something like that - which could account for the 2005 feel.

Still not sure about getting this until a price drop. I heard the main campaign clocked in at maybe 6 hours and the co-op at 4 hours. As I'm not likely to do co-op it just doesn't seem worth the money.

7. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I sadly bought Darkness I for the 360 and the whole gameplay mechanics sucked. The only title I truly regretted buying even for a low cost price.

8. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

In fairness they've made the combat a lot more fun, and much more intuitive. The way quad-wielding is mapped on the controller is really simple and actually makes you feel like an engine of destruction. Provided you're out of the light of course. Give the demo a try, it might surprise you.

9. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

Picked the game up today since my reading week started, best decision ever. My old gripes about the combat from the first game are gone, quad combat is intense. Gun mechanics are fluid though there seems to be a lot more auto locking on the console than there was on the computer. The demon arms add a level of variance that was definitely lacking in the last game, being able to simultaneously grab a fan blade and hurl it at one guy while my blade arm cuts another guy in half all while still moving and shooting is incredibly satisfying. Just picked up a power that lets me turn a dead enemy's heart into a black hole and then throw it across the room.... pretty explosion.

Story is great so far, no complaints there, especially the moments where the darkness starts to fuck with Jackie. Only gripe is that other than Jenny, Jimmy the grape, and aunt Sarah I cant work up any care about the other characters.