1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Death Worlders or Jverse

Discussion in 'Original Fiction Discussion' started by Mmdodol, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Mmdodol

Mmdodol Squib

I stumbled on this story a couple of months ago and it's been great. I think this place can maybe help the universe grow as there are plenty of active writers around.

The premise is that humans make contact with aliens, and I won't say more and let you find out for yourselves. It is generally filled with moments of awesome, which the one thing that hooks me to a story.

This link is the chronological collection of the stories so far.

https://m.reddit.com/r/HFY/wiki/ref/universes/jenkinsverse/timeline_reading_order

This is the wiki page if you think you need an intro before you dive in.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HFY/wiki/ref/universes/jenkinsverse

I apologise in advance if the story is well known here, the search for death worlders and Jverse didn't show anything concrete.

2. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This is firmly in the Humanity, Fuck Yeah! genre. HFY makes mankind look like the baddest bad asses in the galaxy by nerfing all of the other species. Earth is extremely hostile and high gravity by typical galactic alien standards. An impact that would rock a human on their feet would make most aliens fall down.

To properly convey to the reader how bad ass humans are, the story is told from the perspective of the aliens who're gushing over our awesomeness, or terrified, or bewildered, etc.

The human wanking gets boring quite quickly. The author doesn't know the difference between sentient and sapient. The ham fisted attempt at mocking religion is out of place, soapboxy, and remarkably petty.

The plot and characterisations are neglected. They all play second fiddle to showing how awesome humans are (or conversely, how pathetic the author had to make every other alien species to make us look good).

I read two chapters and skimmed through the third. I can't see any reason for me to continue on. I would have read the hell out of this when I was twenty.

3. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Just, FYI, you don't put up a story for discussion/review and then not say anything about it beyond the barest of information. So it's about aliens. Why would I want to read it?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I think jverse is a collaborative project with multiple authors writing stories in the shared universe.

The original story that started it all was awful, but perhaps some of the stories inspired by it were decent. I'm not going to dig through them all though.

Maybe the OP Mmdodol can tell us where the good stories are, or why the original is better than I thought.

5. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

I have to admit that Humanity fuck yeah is a real guilty pleasure of mine, but I found Salvage to be pretty good. Objectively though, even that only rates a 3 star here if anything.