1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Deception Series: Year 1: Discovery by Zenatha

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by prtclehysics, Oct 25, 2014.

1. prtclehysics

prtclehysics Third Year

Title: The Deception Series Year 1: Discovery
    Author: Zenatha
    Rating: T
    Category: General / Dark Arts
    Genre: Adventure/Fantasy
    Chapters: 14
    Words: 58,861
    Updated: May 16
    Published: Aug 25, 2013
    Pairings: none yet

Magic. It was fantastical, complex, and the only part of his heritage that he could be certain of. An AU to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, where Neville Longbottom is the Boy-Who-Lived and Harry Potter was thought to have died Halloween 1981. No Slash. Later parts of the series to be rated M.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9627828/1/The-Deception-Series-Year-1-Discovery

I did search for a review on this fic here and I couldn't find it so I thought I'd post it. I believe its a very rich layered AU for a first year rewrite and worthy of consideration. The only drawbacks are that it hasn't been updated since May and Harry has an OC name which I forgive because the author actually explained the reasons for giving him an OC name. It's also a Harry in Ravenclaw which is not something you see very often.

Edit by Minion, Dec. 23, 2014

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2014
  2. Baradine

Baradine Seventh Year

What?
    /10char

EDIT:

Read through it. Like Halt says, the technical writing is good and there is an interesting premise, but it is honestly just filled with boring idiocy. I, personally, am tired of reading about some guy named Cole (who will soon be named something like Actrolus or something equally idiotic).

I also am coming to dislike Harry's characterization. He just seems to be pissed off all the time, and I really dislike his attitude. I believe I called him an 'edgelord' in my review. There seems to also be, as Halt said, trying to make Harry more important through Titles and Names. I told the author as such during my review.

Good parts... well Harry and his stooges are kind of like the Marauders, that was a little refreshing. Harry is talented, but not a super prodigy. Decent writing. Interesting premise. That's about it, really.

2/5, for me.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

How to start...

Author: Zenathea. Sounds familiar. A quick look at her(?) bio shows she also wrote "Give it Your Best Shot", a dimension travelling story posted in Almost Recommended. That one started off decent until she threw in Baronies/Lordships what have you to make Harry look more important. Two stories before this, both uncompleted and not recently updated despite decent word count. Let's begin.

Chapter 1:
    Technical writing is good, but uninteresting. Mostly skimmed through it. Hogwarts letter blah and Diagon Alley trip that is short. Overall, standard introduction to magical society. You can tell at this point that it is an AU, but not by how much. Not gripping is the best way I can describe it. Will continue for sake of review.

Chapter 3:
    Story grip has not improved. Short of a few changes here and there in friendship choices and staff positions, story reads as a canon rehash. Nothing we haven't seen a million times before. Ravenclaw!Harry was expected. Chapter 2 gave it away (aside from OP I mean).

Chapter 9:
    Some grammar mistakes are showing (your/you're) Most of the plot at this point (if you can call it that) is the search for Cole (Harry's) dad. Props for some decent worldbuilding thrown in and a competent (as far as we can see) staff.

Chapter 14:
    Story ends, and I click the big, red X more relieved than disappointed. Bad sign.

Overall:
    While the story is technically well-written, it is simply uninteresting. The community's seen this type of story before and Zenathea doesn't offer anything particularly new to the genre aside from a few nifty (really minor) side ideas (Blood Threading and what not). As is typical of the author's style, the pace is slow (a disadvantage IMHO, given the type of story) and there is a huge focus on political!Harry. It again falls into the trap of trying to make him more important via a shortcut (titles and names).

For basically being a Canon rehash, it doesn't stand out. Things need to pick up and start happening - things we actually care about. I don't particularly want to read another 50k words just about his heritage and Ministry politics and impressing stuck-up purebloods in *sigh* parties and Ministry balls. It could be good, but it needs to innovate a lot more. My hopes for the story are not high as it stands. Better off in Almost Recommended.

Final Score: 2.5/5, rounded down to 2 for the time being.

4. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

Started off slowly but picked up by the end. I feel like this has potential as the start of a good series. As a stand alone fic I would rate it a 2 but since the author clearly intends it to be the start of a larger story, I'll gice it a 3/5 for now

5. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

People who aren't able to tell the difference between Your and You're need to be put to death.

6. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

No, they really don't. Maybe try an actual review, Zeelthor?

7. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I remember you bitching at me about my usage of those words years ago Oz. I think it was actually my motivation to learn the difference between the two :p

8. JoJo23

JoJo23 Unspeakable

Its very canon. Thats not such a big issue in smaller fics, but as a 14 chapter "part 1" Its pretty dodgy and uninteresting. I've slogged through a million canon rehashes that were supposedly going to diverge in later years, and never did. Also Harry's name is Cole, thats awful.

However, reading the final chapter on its own is a good story set up. Interesting premise.