1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Deceptive Waltz by TheTilly

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by prtclehysics, Mar 13, 2017.

1. prtclehysics

prtclehysics Third Year

Title: The Deceptive Waltz & The Unbroken Threads
    Author: thetilly
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure/AU
    Pairing: Canon
    Summary: Tom Marvolo Riddle is pulled from his universe into Harry Potter's when Harry destroys the diary with a Basilisk fang. Once there, he is reunited with his old mentor Albus Dumbledore and lives in solitude until Dumbledore comes to him with an unusual request: to take over a course at Hogwarts, and look out for Harry Potter, of course. Fifth Year AU
    The Unbroken Threads is part II of this series and I can't really summarize it without spoiling the ending for the first part.
    Links(s): https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3710078/1/The-Deceptive-Waltz
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12264981/1/The-Unbroken-Threads

Review:
    This may be the only fic I've ever read where Dumbledore mentors Tom Riddle and Riddle is for the most part, unchanged save his opinion towards Dumbledore. The author's done a good job with changing AU Tom Riddle just enough to make him believable. Harry is Cannon!Harry with just a few events changed as he discovers who Riddle is, and how he feels about him. This is one of the rare Tom/Harry stories without a hint of !slash and without overwhelming amounts of angst. The pacing is good, and there's enough plot to keep you reading. I would rate it
    4/5.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  2. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

This is one of those stories that brought a smile on my face by the time I finished it a few weeks ago. I'd say more but I'm typing this from my phone. Admittedly though I will say it works better once you've read the sequel, which is mostly certainly more of a part 2 than a sequel and introduces stuff that improves and explains certain things from part 1. Definitely a 4.5/5 to me, which I've rounded off to 5/5.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As soon as Harry figure/learn the big news, he is sworn to secrecy only to run and bubble it to his good two mates, without any consequences.
    The same mates who put him under radio silence the entire summer, not to mention 5th year Dumbledore was fearing Voldemort was making regular visits to Harry mind.

4. Puzzled

Puzzled High Inquisitor

I'm extremely curious about this aspect. I feel like I'm justified in expecting fireworks at least.

5. prtclehysics

prtclehysics Third Year

Sorry, I only have dragons.