1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The Faun's Labyrinth by Estella May - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Zeitgeist, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Title: The Faun's Labyrinth
    Author: Estella May
    Rating: T
    Genre: Family/Fantasy
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: None, I think, unless you interpret the Albus/Gellert friendship as something else.
    Words: 10,222
    Published: March 31, 2008

Summary: "Ariana Dumbledore, in the summer of 1899."
    Link: The Faun's Labyrinth

Since this was from '08, I first did a search on the Library forums and the current Almost Recommended. I couldn't find it there, so I assumed that nobody has introduced this one-shot yet.

The concept, as the author says, is influenced by Pan's Labyrinth. I haven't seen the film, but this fic didn't rely on it too heavily that I couldn't understand what was going on.

Ariana is written beautifully. Her sanity is a little unhinged, but you can still see an innocent, fourteen year-old girl; I can understand why Aberforth doted over her.

Kendra and Ariana's death were done well. I may be biased, since the Dumbledore tragedy is one of my favourite back-stories, but I was genuinely touched by the subject matter. Especially Ariana's perspective on the drama unfolding around her.

At approximately 10,000 words, this is a rather long one-shot, but I maintain that it is worth it. A little confusing at times (probably due to the Pan's Labyrinth references), but satisfying.

4-5/5

Checked by Minion, August 19, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
  2. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Interesting if not a little fluffy and overly sentimental. The writing is pretty decent over all, but the first couple of paragraphs read like the narration of a perfume advert.

Fundamentally though it was just pretty boring. I don't think Dumbledore's back story is at all interesting and hearing it from the stilted perspective of a fourteen year old head case made it even less so.

Eh. 4/5 because it was well written and I'm sure other people are far more likely to find the story matter interesting.

3. ficfan

ficfan First Year

I had watched Pan's Labyrinth some years ago, and while my brain isn't able to fully memorize it well, I still can remember the overall plot, storyline, and characters. And, reading this fic felt like some nostalgia for me.

Surprisingly this fic contain MORE than just a little influence from the Pan's Labyrinth itself. And I have to say that the author pull it well, in a very interesting way without forgetting the fact that the story is indeed a HP story, not PL story.

So now, for the story rating...

Writing is decent. Really decent and well written. Nice descriptions, and wonderfully blur the line between HP and PL with still HP as the main focus.'O' for 'Outstanding'

Storyline is good. Not blasting, mind-blowing, and not even close to the dread-horror-angst that Pan's Labyrinth has, but it's still good. 'A' for 'Acceptable'

Characters. Well, clearly the author wanted to make Ariana's characters similar to Ofelia. Not fully success, but still a decent effort. Albus and Aberfoth characters... are a little disappointing. Not too bright. But Gellert characters is surprising. I like the interaction between him and Ariana near the end of story, and somehow that was the one that make this fic still a HP fic, not a crossover. So, 'E' for 'Exceed Expectations'.

Score: (5+3+4)/3 = 4

Add 0.5 for my personal liking toward Pan's Labyrinth and how this story successfully refresh the memories of it in my brain. So I give it 4.5/5

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Excellently written, very compelling. Ariana particularly is really well written, the author captures her insanity perfectly. Really worth reading!