1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Final Straw by bellerophon30 - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Redeye, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

Title: Harry Potter And The Final Straw
    Author: bellerophon30
    Rating: T
    Category: Angst Drama
    Chapters: 35
    Words: 317,280
    Updated: June 25, 2005
    Published: December 4, 2004

Link: [link][mirror1][mirror2]
    Summary:

Complete. A 6th year story. Harry takes a look at his life and doesn't like what he sees, so he decides to declare his independance of Dumbledore and the Order of the Phoenix and fight the war on his own terms.

not to shabby.
    just came across it out of boredom started reading it it starts off with short chapters and writing isnt the greatest but gets better with time. the chapters eventually get pretty long and satisfying not to mention the stories finished. give it a whirl if you like it cool. if you dont oh well its just something to do while you wait for good fanfiction.

Checked by Minion, July 29, 2013
    Updated links 08/05/18 - Drome

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2018
  2. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

It starts out good, but I began to become bored with it towards the middle. Way too much time spent on the lame school dueling tournament, and the idea of Albus being felled by the likes of Wormtail and Percy makes me ill.

3. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

ROFL.

Now that is just... wrong! Wormtail and Percy! Hahahahahahahahaha!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

4. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I am about 2/3 of the way through it... It seems to me like the author has a rudimentary grasp of English history, or at least "The War of the Roses." Sadly, said author doesn't really seem to know what they are doing with it.

Which is why I am off to watch Black Adder... I fuckin love Black Adder :)

5. Miss Selarne

Miss Selarne Sixth Year

I thought it was ok. Not really the best story but a good read if you've nothing else to do. I thought the ending was a little off though.

6. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

git ti chapter... like 16 last year, but got so freaking bored i gave up... i have the attention span of a glass o' water (nice use of ' eh?)((i'm canadian, i'm allowed to use eh))

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I liked maybe the first 15 chapters or so, then it goes into the realm of suck, and gets boring as dirt.

Overall it's readable, and compared to what's currently making the rounds @ ff.net it's actually good. Medium quality story

8. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Then of course, there were a few minor issues that I disliked, such as the author painting Cho as the official Hogwarts whore, going to far as to have the students enter a betting pool as to who she'll pursue next after dumping Michael Corner. And of course, she does what every good little schoolgirl slut does...try to seduce a teacher. That whole idea really turned me off. And then there's the vaunted HARRY THROWING KNIVES. Seriously, if I see another story where Harry kills Voldemort with fucking knives, I'm going to go on a rampage. This one gets a small reprieve for being the first to use the idea.

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

not read the last few chapters... i liked it for a while... then i just sort of got bored and stopped reading

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

He kills Voldemort by using throwing knives? I would think that Voldemort would have thought of some protection from that.

11. Midknight

It does also seem like after the first several chapters the author changed his mind on exactly what he wanted done, then just started doing odd things just to see what he could fit in.

Voldemort packin heat for example... o_O... Sirius and Snape's wand being brothers... OOOo_Ooooo

Throwing knives.. .

One thing I would like to point out that I enjoyed alot: The twist of having a lawyer be the one to help Harry gain independance. I liked the Peter Tyson character alot.

I've only seen maybe this one and 2 others use a lawyer to help Harry out, usually he just *poof* knows all the laws. Having a borderline shady lawyer directing him is an excellent believable way to get what he wants done.

12. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Oh my god....

That is seriously SHIT!

13. Midknight

To be fair, the first half of the story or so I liked. It was standard writing, but it was good enough to read.

It seems like past the halfway point the author got tired of writing and just rushed in half assed to finish

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Overall good story.

Bad thing is the author's lack of respect for magic. That things with guns being superior but everyone uses magic for the kicks of it is totaly ridicilous. Not to mention that overall usage of magic is a bit dry. There's no new interesting spells, curses or anything magic-related. It seems like this could have as well been FanFiction of Police Academy or Mellrouse Place.

Good thing is Dumbledore bashing (including his death), other character deaths, not overly happy ending, generally realistic feeling and everything related to Snape.

Worth reading.

15. SmacksKiller

SmacksKiller First Year

What always makes me laugh is when wizards manage to stop a bullet with a spell. If the spell was already there then no prob' but when somebody manages to say a whole spell before the bullets, which tend to go faster than sound ! :shock:

*first post*

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

True. Unless it was a wordless spell, which in that case thought does move faster than sound.

And welcome to DLP! Be sure to introduce yourself.

17. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Of course the wizard would have to be aware that they were shot at and know what to expect from a gun. A pureblood who is in the crosshairs of a sniper probably won't live long. Inscribe the rune, Thurisaz, on the bullet tip and that Pureblood would be in serious trouble.

18. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Yeah...but a muggle wouldn't last against a sniper either. I was talking about when someone lifts a gun in front of you and shoots, then a wizard could probably block it with a wordless spell. Of course they couldn't stand against a sniper, they would have to know that they were being shot at to do anything against it.

19. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

Yeah, and they would have to understand what a gun does. In PoA a gun was described as 'a kind of metal wand that they use to kill each other' if they had to explain that, then most wizards and witches don't know what it is. And even that is a shitty explanation because it does not explain how it does it. For all they know a muggle has to hit them with the gun, after all some spells like the Disillusionment Charm requires physical contact in order to work. So even if the gun is pointed right at them a pureblood may not know that they need to defend themself or how. Although I am sure they will learn after a couple of them gets killed that way.

20. Burt

Burt Fourth Year

A bullet moves faster than the speed of sound. Before you hear a 'bang', you have a bullet in your chest.

Maybe I'm strange in this, but I have the distinct inability to make my thoughts travel backwards in time. I have tried, and failed. Perhaps you can try for yourself, though?

This awful disability of mine makes it quite impossible to so much as think portego between the time that I hear a 'bang,' and the time that I'm bleeding. Because the 'bang' happens only after I'm bleeding, you dolts.

And don't get me started on those time-consuming wand wavings.