1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Game Must Go On - M [Harry Potter/Highschool DxD + More]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by BestRatBoi, Feb 6, 2021.

1. BestRatBoi

BestRatBoi Muggle

Title: The Game Must Go On
    Author: Crossedge
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Drama
    Library Category: Almost Recommended
    Pairings: SI-Harry x Rias Gremory
    Summary: A guy gains the Gamer System and gets thrown into a multiverse of his own. Now he must balance becoming stronger, getting the girls and surviving this mess all the while entertaining his seniors. Harem, lemons in the future, Gamer MC.
    Link: https://m.fanfiction.net/s/13671214/1/

Saying it right out of the gate, this story is almost certainly a guilty pleasure fic. Whether it be the writing competence, the opening, or how the main character is handled, all of it leaves a lot to be desired. This fic does have one shining star in its cast for me amongst these mostly flat characters though, and that's the setting. The world this author made is something I'd love to see handled properly.

Obviously the setting and its many answers to the questions of the Potter fandom aren't canon compliant, since it likes to mix-n-match features from the crossover universe of DxD to answer those questions, but in a unique combo world like this, I can honestly say I like that everything is tied together, rather than the two sides of the crossover being kept completely seperate.

Warning, plenty of major bashing takes place in this fic, with James, Dumbledore, and Ron getting the worst of it.

For me this is 3/5 story, and that 3 almost comes purely from how the combination of settings sparks my own imagination. It's mostly 2.5 from the setting, and .5 from the wide cast of characters, one or two of them actually getting some development beyond their usual fanfiction tropes.

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Didn't get past the first chapter.

I think the biggest sin with these stories is that the authors have no restraint. The joy of litRPG and other such fics in general is the vicarious pleasure you get from the hero performing difficult tasks and being rewarded for them. You share that feeling of accomplishment, of discovery with the protagonist.

Often in trash (imo) stories like this the author can't help themselves. They throw OP skills and loot at them like they're candy. It's so pointless and unearned. Pointless because it's not even needed, Harry here has cool shadow powers, explore them. Unearned because he gets Fire God Slayer magic from the first miniboss he kills. I mena, really?

Less is more. These stories would be far better served by sticking with far fewer abilities and throwing the protagonist into trials where they have to use their ingenuity to solve the puzzles with the tools they have. If you think the fight scenes are too boring with the protagonist only having three abilities, make the enemies more interesting, not his tool kit.

Fire God Slayer magic was cringey and bad enough. I hard quite when he had the Power of Destruction too - which he found out from an 'inheritance' test from Gringotts.

Yeah, no.

It's frustrating because I love this trash genre, but my garbage tolerance can only take so much.