1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Girl From Whirlpool by SilverShine - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by Howdy, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Title: The Girl From Whirlpool
    Author: SilverShine
    Rating: T
    Genre: Romance
    DLP Category: General Fics
    Pairing: Minato/Kushina
    Chapters: 27
    Words: 257,302
    Updated: March 18, 2011
    Published: January 6, 2010
    Summary: When Naruto's father met his mother, his only impression was that a village out there must have been missing its idiot. Minato/Kushina.
    Link : FFN

This is, possibly, my favorite Naruto story ever. And it's not even Naruto-centric. This is the story of Minato and Kushina, and the history before the story begins. It's incredibly well-written, and is the only Naruto story I actually look forward to updates to. Granted, there are a few timeline issues that are either flat wrong or that I have issues with, but it's an amazing tale nonetheless.

Keep in mind, before you read, that this story was begun, and most of it written, before we knew anything about Kushina aside from her name and village, so it is an AU of sorts. The author does a good job of adapting to the canon changes though.

Give it a try.

Checked: June 10, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2012
  2. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I've been reading this one for some time, and while it may not be my favourite Naruto story, it comes pretty close. I like the characterization of both main characters, especially that
    the author doesn't have them together from the start, but explores them having relationships with other people too. Also, yeah, the author tries to keep adapting the story to canon as much as possible, from what I can see, in keeping with what we've recently found out.

3. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Totally agree with Howdy.
    Amazing read.
    The author has a few other fics that are all very good, though Sakura/kakashi centric, so if you like teacher-student stuff, check it out.

Review:
    Positive-
    1.Characters are very human. There are no mary-sues, people change dramatically and realistically(cases in point-Kushina, Minato himself)
    2.Writing-Very nice. Not extremely poetic, but the writing is polished, the grammar is good, and settings/people described very well.
    3.Humor-Something lacking in serious fics. This fic integrates funny things into the main plot(Minato's attitude towards being a prodigy, the first paragraph of the fic. the relationship between Sakumo and Minato...).
    4.The plotting.-I feel like nothing's rushed and everything has been timed well. climaxes happen intermittently, so you never get bored, there's lots of character interaction as well, and the whole fic just feels fun to read.
    5.The nods to canon are beautiful and feel very subtle. Things like Danzo being a general, and various other spoilers give a sense of history to the fic;it feels integrated into Naruto canon.
    Negative-
    -Can't really think of much besides a few small inconsistencies with canon that are extremely minor.

Awesome read.
    :)
    5/5

4. rogueboy

rogueboy Second Year

5/5 from me.

In a genre that seems to receive far less attention than it should, this story is a wonderful find. As grammatically sound, if not more so, than any story one may find on that site currently; great, dynamic characterizations; a mortal Namikaze Minato; a non!godmode Hiraishin... this entire story is extremely refreshing.

I feel like I know how this problem with Kushina will be sorted out, but I'll read it anyway. And fitting, too, that Howdy would present another story for which I'll impatiently await updates.

I've always been interested in pre-canon stories involving Minato and stories that explore Naruto's parents' story. This fic is an excellent example as to why. I actually read it twice since I found this recommendation. If anyone knows of any stories similar in subject and quality, I'd greatly appreciate a PM, as I've been fairly unlucky in uncovering any myself.

5. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

I'll admit that I mostly went into this based on your recommendation, still a relative skeptic though.(huh... seriously? 'skeptic' is with a 'k', but 'sceptically/skeptically' is with a 'c' or 'k'??)
    Well, color me pleasantly surprised though with the quality therein!

It's a bit rare for me to read a non-main character based story(although one can occasionally argue Naruto's "main character-ness" within his particular universe), this one was quite worthwhile indeed.

For what it seems to have set out to accomplish, I think I will give this one a five point score. The author admits that there are certain recently-revealed canon elements that would change the story too drastically to fully adapt them, but is still trying to keep as relatively accurate as can be done nonetheless.

6. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I remember reading the first chapter and not seeing it as that good. I read the rest of it on your recommendation, and am glad I did. It was great.

I didn't like Minato's characterization, but it was still a very well fleshed out and three dimensional characterization, which kind of counterbalances how little I liked it.

All of the characters are very human, and though his timeline's a little fuzzy, that can be attributed to him trying to keep up with canon. I personally don't think he should have continually adjusted his story to fit with new facts coming out, as that fucked it up in quite a few places.

Regardless, it's a solid 4/5.

7. sancrow

sancrow Guest

I tried to read the story in its entirety, but just couldn't get into it. There is no doubt that the writing is top-notch and characterization is far from one-dimensional, but there is something that stops it from pulling me in. It's not the non-Naruto POV or the romance genre either. My best guess is that the Minato portrayed here simply isn't someone that I can identify with, which a relatively immature reader like me needs to totally enjoy a story.

For what my opinion's worth, this is a 4/5 story for me.

8. goldenwolfeye

goldenwolfeye Seventh Year

This could be one of the best Naruto stories I've ever read. It is the best non-Naruto central story. The Characterization is top notch and the evolution of the relationship between Minato and Kushina is entirely believable.

5/5

9. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

This is awesome, and can light up bits of my heart in ways that only Richard Curtis normally has much success with. My fave currently being updated Naruto fic.

An easy 5/5.

10. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Read and really enjoyed it.

One thing Im sure I noticed before but never really paid much attention to until reading this fic. Jiraiya is a BIG guy. When Minato and Jiraiya train after Jiraiya comes back and Minato says that all his speed is useless against Jiraiya, that really drove the point home that Jiraiya is alot bigger than most shinobi.

11. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Amazing find; it is a real pity that there aren't more stories of this caliber out there. On top of not being Naruto-centric, it's set back before most of the typical main characters exist, which I have rarely ever seen done well.

Great find Howdy, full 5/5 for excellent characterization, dialogue, and plot twists. Part of me has grown so damn attached to these characters that I'm almost hoping that the author continues to go AU and not kill off Minato per canon.

12. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Just updated today.

Kushina copped out on the big reveal for the time being, but I suppose that other developments did happen. I'm still quite enjoying it though.

13. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Tour of duty on the Kumo border.

Am I the only one looking forward to a Minato vs. A showdown?

14. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

No, no you are not. A's probably going to get inspired by Minato, who will be messed with with B's raps. :awesome

15. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Just read it and I loved it. The characterization was great, as was the pacing. I liked how it showed Minato, to; as a human, rather than the idolized version I usually see.

5/5. Only one really flaw; it left me for a craving for more good fics about Minato and/or Kushina, and there aren't any as far as I can tell.

16. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Damn right, it just updated today. And what an update, this is one of my most favourite fics out there. The writing is amazing, the plot interesting. Everything about this is awesome.

I liked how this latest chapter ended, it was :awesome

17. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

I just noticed it updated. I knew what was coming since he handed her that Kunai, but it was still awesome.

18. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Saying this right now, if I ever get off my ass and write my story, I'm going to the author and asking permission to make her story the official background for Kushina and Minato in mine. Because seriously, she puts Kishi to shame. :awesome

19. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Excellent although i wouldnt complain if we could have had a real fight between A and Minato at this point.

20. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    5/5, easily. have followed this story from the very first chapter, since I liked the author even before she posted this story and it's currently my favorite Naruto story.

So much so, that this is canon for me. Fuck what Kishi wrote, this is their backstory.

I just wish that she doesn't keep it canon, so that they don't die and live their life out. I don't want this story to end.