1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

The Great Big EPL Thread

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by enembee, Aug 10, 2011.

1. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    [​IMG]

Some guy posted in the Improvement Thread that he wanted one, so I thought I'd indulge him.

There's like 3 days until the new season starts (providing these retards on our streets don't burn the stadiums down) and pretty much none of the big teams have made anything like the purchases everyone was touting. Modric is still at Tottenham, Sneijder is still in some Itallian backwater (though MU are offering £33 million for him, so that might change) and it looks like we're going to get another year of Tevez, Fabregas and Nasri's constant fucking bitching.

On the other hand I'm liking the shaping up of Liverpool's team. There's not enough big English names in teams like this any more. The Carroll, Gerrard, Downing, Adam, Carragher, Johnson, Henderson combination is something I'd like to see more of— English players in English teams, playing together. I mean it's a pity that all except two are the wrong side of 25, but at least it's a sign of intent.

Perhaps one day we'll be able to field an international team that isn't terrible.

Likewise I'm liking Arsenal picking up old Oxlade-Chamberlain. I've got to confess I'm a bit of a Wilshere fan boy but more footballers should play by his example and having talent like OC (what a name) with talent like Wilshere to look up to is a good thing.

Lastly, lets all come together in the hope that Swansea don't get completely dominated this season and drop straight back out (they will). Partly because I like seeing Swansea do something Cardiff can't but also because let's face it, Wales hasn't got much else going for it at the minute.

EDIT: Sorry I completely forgot to make a joke about Wojciech Szczesny— There's been outbreak of illness in the Arsenal changing rooms. Apparently Szczesny isn't worried because he can't catch anything.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Fuck Downing.

/bitter Villa fan

3. enembee

High Score:
    Nevermind, at least you've still got Agbonlahor, Bent and Heskey.

[​IMG]

Oh Heskey.

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sunderland for the Premiership!

That is all.

5. AAli

I, for one, welcome our new N'Zogbia overlord tbf

Also: Adam = Scottish :awesome

6. enembee

High Score:
    Maybe he can score ten goals this season and be your top scorer :p

And Carragher is shit at football. Eh, with Liverpool everything is relative. Close enough though.

EDIT: All joking aside, I'd really like to see how N'Zogbia, Ireland and Agbonlahor make up for the loss of Downing and Young who IIRC made and scored 10~ goals a piece last season. Big shoes to fill.

7. AAli

N'Zogbia and Albrighton have big shoes to fill. Villa are really going to miss Young and Downing.

I've already written off Ireland, I just can't like the guy. Talented he may be but he just comes across as a jackass who can't be bothered to put in any effort. We saw that in the few games he got last season, in his brief time at Newcastle on loan and then in this preseason. He'll make a decent pass or 3 in a game and then do fuck all for the other 88 minutes.

Much rather see Barry Bannan get a run in the team instead, really talented little Scottish guy with an eye for a pass and hammer of a shot on him. Whilst I think Villa have a decent/good first 11, there's very little depth and I think that might be the difference between and top half and lower half finish for us.

Don't even want to think about what happens if Bent gets injured. Agbonlahor has never been prolific and Heskey?! McLeish is going to have a hard time from the fans, especially if the first few results are shit.

8. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

How about starting up a DLP fantasy league?

And I predict liverpool still not making the top 4 this season.

9. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

From the news reports I've seen, the main issue with Sneijder's transfer to United is the wage bill, with United reluctant to pay Sneijder the £200,000 a week wages he wants as a result of the higher taxes in England in comparison to Italy. United is willing to pay Sneijder that money but only if Inter lower their fee considerably, to below the £30 million mark, which is unlikely to happen. However, there is some speculation that Sneijder might be willing to back down on his wage demands in order to help the transfer through as well as speculation that Nike might be willing to step in to help United fill the wage gap between what they're willing to pay and what Sneijder wants. There's still some time before the window closes however, so it'll be interesting to see if the blockbuster move will happen.

Regarding Samir Nasri, reports have been saying that a £25 million move by City for Nasri is all but done, as Arsene Wenger has apparently ok'd the move should City meet the valuation with personal terms close to completion as well, offering over double his current wages. Although nothing is concrete, considering the fact that Nasri will be able to move on a free next year, it'd be surprising if Arsenal don't sell him before the window closes. Interestingly enough, both Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas have been included in Arsenal's CL fixtures against Udinese. Should either of their transfers not finish prior to those games, those two would be cup tied for the CL for their respective buyers, which may kill the deal(s).

Edit: The first leg of Arsenal v. Udinese is on August 16th at the Emirates, for reference, with the 2nd leg in Italy on August 24th. Samir Nasri is suspended for the first leg so his transfer has until August 24th to be completed before he is cup-tied for CL.

10. AAli

Man Utd
    Man City
    Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Tottenham

*waits for May 2012 to check thread/prediction*

11. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

What is this insanity? I used to respect you enembee but after this latest stunt I am filled with disgust and despair.

The guy is so powerful so intense so black that I remember in a match against Brazil, one of their players ran straight into Heskey at full speed and he was the one who was bowled over.

His power was so much that the referee had to award a free kick to Brazil in order to compensate for it.

#HeskeyEnglandLegend

12. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

I'm surprised at the lack of Fernando Torres jokes as well, enembee.

13. enembee

High Score:
    Too easy. Just way too easy.

14. Speakers

Speakers Backtraced

End season prediction:

Arsenal (heh)
    Man City
    Man United
    Chelsea
    Liverpool
    Tottenham

Arsenal winning the league is more me hoping at this point but I'm pretty sure of City finishing above United.

15. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Man United
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Arsenal
    Liverpool
    Tottenham

(Though I have a very strange desire to predict that Tottenham will implode and Everton will finish above them)

16. Lucifah

Lucifah First Year

Chelsea
    Man Utd.
    Arsenal
    Man City
    Liverpool
    Tottenham

I'll be rooting for Fulham and especially Moussa Dembele. Let's hope he can stay fit.

17. JimmyCranberry

JimmyCranberry High Inquisitor

Big but realistic Arsenal fan here... so I'll have to go with:
    Man U
    Chelsea
    City
    Arsenal / Liverpool
    Tottenham / Liverpool

City I'm still not convinced with. I think they need another year or two of playing together as a steady team before all their individuals can mould into an effective, title-challenging team. Mancini seems to know what he's doing, so maybe they'll get themselves sorted this year, but maybe not.

Tottenham I've been surprised with this summer. I fully expected them to be making a lot more improvements to their team than they have. Perhaps they lack the necessary finances, but I really thought they would want to make the final improvements they needed to really push into the top four and the CL. If anything, I'd say they're in a worse position now than 12 months ago.

As for Liverpool... fuck knows. Unpredictable, especially considering the number of British players on their team. In my experience, that's onyl a bad thing for the overall ability of the team, since we're all a bunch of overpriced underachievers, but let's wait and see, eh?

Arsenal, dear, sweet Arsenal never cease to amuse me. Time to cash in on Nasri, and Fabregas should be let go. He doesn't want to stay, and he's not going to put much effort in at all. Get the £35m for him, plus £25m for Nasri, and use it to find some replacements. OC was a good signing for the future - Walcott 2.0, perhaps - but more are eneded. Defense needs shoring up, I'm not at all confident in butter-fingers Szczesny, and Alex Song - though good - does not have the class needed to be a title-winning holding midfielder. We need a better Makelele-esque player, then we're rolling. Gervinho looks good, and I look forward to seeing what he, RVP and... whoever plays with them, be it Walcott, Chamakh, Arshavin or whoever, mould with Wilshire and Ramsey. I think the English (and Welsh!) Arsenal lads could be the only ones who aren't overrated. Just look at Carroll... what a mess he is.

Also, Heskey is a donkey, and always has been since that unnecessary foul in Euro '04. Gotta love England, we're great at bottling it.

Chelsea and Man Utd go without saying, as they have done for so long now. If Utd get Sneijder, then may God help us all. And Chelsea have now got Drogba Mk II, which is downright terrifying for defenses across the league.

In other news, I'd be up for a fantasy league. Never really tried one before, would be interested to see what it's like.

18. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Arsenal (I can dream)
    Man Utd
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Tottenham
    Liverpool

Has someone already created a DLP fantasy league?

19. Al'Akir

Al'Akir Third Year

Man Utd
    Chelsea
    Man City
    Tottenham
    Arsenal
    Everton ^^

Nah, just kidding about Everton. As of MU I'm really interesting what will Ferguson do now. Cleverley played fantastically over a summer and with it I can't imagine MU overpaying for Sneijder.

Seconded to both.

20. AAli