1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

The Great/Big Football (Soccer) Thread: 17/18 Edition

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Oment, Jul 5, 2017.

1. h2o

h2o Professor

No no, that's what Sweden is doing :)

Such an even, close and careful game against Switzerland. We both played like the neutrals we are, could've gone either way really :p

Hoping to meet England now in the QF and knocking em' out, would laugh my ass off if that happened!

2. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's honestly the second best achievement England could have had at this WC. Huge to get that monkey off their back. Kane is a killer on pens, but I'd be worried how much they struggle to score in open play.

Also, I can't be the only one shocked Dier was before Vardy in pens...

3. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

England to lose on penalties to Sweden next round. Put your fucking money on it lads.

4. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

Vardy pulled a groin muscle apparently, so that's why.

What I didn't get was how Henderson was before either of them.

5. Gengar

High Score:
    It's coming home?

6. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

As long as you live in Belgium, absolutely.

7. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

I've had money on England-Belgium final for a full year now, so things are currently looking pretty peachy. Two more correct results and that's a jackpot.

8. Ganago

Ganago Squib

How juicy's the peach?

9. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Pretty juicy. Not massive, but biggest win I've ever gotten easily if it happens now. Should have put in a bigger wager in hindsight :D

10. Rah

Rah Unspeakable

Ronaldo to Juventus!

I wonder who Real is going to shell out for now? Would PSG give up Neymar?

11. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

As long as they keep their filthy hands off of my boy Hazard.

EDIT: Well, Mbappe had one electrifying pass behind him into the box after the goal, but otherwise that second half was pretty garbage, with France being rather happy to sit low and defend. Shame, there goes my sweet jackpot...

It will all be forgotten if the Lads win though and my second bet comes through.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  12. Gengar

High Score:
    It's weird Real tried to bury the news on the day of the Torreira transfer. :sherlock:

I'd be shocked if they went for Neymar or Hazard tbh. Mbappe is the clear superstar de jour. They might even drop a boatload of cash on Levy's head if Kane scores the winner in the WC final - pretty sure Benzama is leaving too IIRC.

And the game? Meh. Very Atleti like performance. Lukaku did his occasional Lukaku and De Bruyne disappeared like he was teasing to do in the last couple of games.

13. Rah

Rah Unspeakable

De Bruyne had one outstanding pass, wish he had done the corners.

Mbappe wasted so much time at the end with that shit, the refs should've let the game go on to 97/98. But I'm biased so whatever.

14. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/dgynbq

This was some of the most disrespectful and blatant time wasting I've ever seen. I really hope that he chokes in the final, be it against Croatia or England. Should have got another yellow for simulation in this game anyway.

15. telecaster11

telecaster11 First Year

I anticipated Croatia playing well in this tournament but I didn't expect this- they've played really beautiful football at times and Modric has been magnificent. France should beat them but they have had a great world cup.
    As for England...they had a great tournament exceeding everyone's expectations. They have a really strong team and I expect them to go further and maybe even win it next time. That being said, Kane completely disappeared. Maybe he can claim Trippier's goal.

Poor England-54 years of hurt...

16. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    Two of my favourite teams made it to the final.

I don‘t particularly care who wins it, which is a new thing for me. I‘ve always had a preferred choice up until now.

I‘d say the French deserve it by virtue of the, having missed out on the European Cup two years ago, but Croatia has played some outstanding football this tournament. Not always the most aesthetically pleasing, but outstanding nonetheless.

May the best team win.

17. diesIovis

diesIovis Fifth Year

In my case it's the two teams I wanted the least in the finals. Might as well skip it all together. Croatia is just plain boring to watch and only time they did anything was against Argentina and that was more them having a mental breakdown than anything else. France I just flat out don't like since the Zidane era.

18. h2o

h2o Professor

I'm just so pleased that Croatia won, after England beat Sweden the smugness and superiority-complex truly set in with all the "its coming home" bs. England beat a Sweden that played their worst game of the tournament, they narrowly beat Colombia on pens and lost to Belgium in the group stage. They have NOT impressed, they created few chances in each game except vs Panama... so yeah. Glad that they lost that match and now I hope Belgium beat them for the bronze too.

As for the final, really hoping for a good game and I'm slightly rooting for France but... Damn if Modric doesn't deserve to score a winning goal and bring the trophy home with him ^^

19. Gengar

High Score:
    Honestly, the anti-English pearl clutching is just a wee bit pathetic, specifically from the Croatian players.

Get over it. It's a fucking meme.

20. Nosss

Nosss Seventh Year

I thought it was a meme that turned into a little bit of arrogance to be honest. Certainly amongst my English-supporting mates. Started to turn after the Columbia game and was in full effect after Sweden one. They certainly didn't see anyway Croatia would beat them so I was stoked with the result.

More power to the Croatians from drawing motivation from it. If that's what they needed to do to give them the edge through yet another 120 minutes then I'm all for them doing it. They were warriors out there.

One thing to note is that Lovren is feeling himself at the minute... From memory he has a tendency to fail spectacularly after comments like those he's put out into the world this week. Hoping history doesn't repeat itself.