1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

The Great/Big Football (Soccer) Thread: 17/18 Edition

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Oment, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery Prestige

High Score:
    Leave my Buvac the fuck alone thank you. You can, however, be Brendaned. It's going to be a long road for any manager though, particularly given some of the player turnover this off-season and just a genuine lack of stars. Granted, you've got the funds to bring back the house Arsene built, but it'll be an under-taking the likes of what Klopp has done to Liverpool over the last three years.

Speaking of my boys, how about another Champions' League final? And the oddest thing is that I actually like our chances in Kiev. I don't think our front three will be over-awed by the final although I do fear for our back line if we can't find a way to shut down Ronaldo. I'm virtually assured an open, dramatic game, whatever the outcome. We do need to pick up points against Chelsea this weekend before we can think about Madrid though.

2. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure why Rodgers would ever leave Celtic. Total walk in the park of a league, giving them a recurrent CL berth... why throw that away to go to the land of over-inflated expectations and toxic youtube channels, where you'll never be able to please anyone?

And yeah, what Averis said about Buvac. I'll choke a bitch.

3. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Xhaka is still kinda shit, to be honest. Sure, he plays a few good passes every so often, but that's about it. We need a far, far better midfielder if we're ever going to win anything. I'm hoping some of the players who have looked lost recently will be able to find a place in the structure with a new coach, and that a few additions will be made. There are a few good young talents that may step up, too, so there's still some stuff to look forward to. Step one is definitely to ship Welbeck off literally anywhere.

4. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Lol, a few good passes. Consistently making over 120 passes a game lately at over 90% accuracy, and those aren't towards our fullbacks and defenders by and large. In a team so horribly set up, you've no idea how important a quarterback-type player like him is - without him, we've no way of linking defence and attack. We'd defend, then lost the ball in midfield and be under attack again - you may remember this happening a lot, when Xhaka was in a run of poor form.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Wenger, in my opinion, ultimately became a bad manager insomuch that his presence as opposed to any other manager was having a negative affect on the team. They have no idea what to do when on or off the ball (the latter particularly egregious).

There are some players I'm still unsure about (whether with a better coach, their performances could markedly improve, or they're just not good enough), such as Mustafi, Kolasinac, Iwobi, Welbeck etc. Xhaka's qualities are obvious though, and his biggest weakness is his reading of the game defensively. I'm convinced some structure and a manager properly coaching him and his teammates would fix that over time.

I love him.

Possibly because he reminds me of a young Xabi Alonso, and I'm hoping he matures into that player.

5. Nosss

Nosss Seventh Year

I'm interested in whether Arsenal fans would take Rafa Benitez as manager? Not sure he'd want to leave Newcastle if he gets proper funding as he's the kind of man who seems to enjoy building teams in his image, loves living in the north of England, and he's absolutely loved up there, but he ticks a lot of the boxes you seem to be looking for.

Not sure I agree on the Xhaka/Alonso comparison (Alonso was better when he was younger than Xhaka is now) but if there's someone you want to mould a new Alonso you couldn't do better. He'd get the defence into working shape as well and you guys have an attack he could certainly use.

I know he has his critics, but I'd not want him at Arsenal as a Liverpool fan because it feels like he could be perfect for the job (at least football-wise... not sure he'd get along with either the fans or the board).

Not sure Buvac is manager material - he seems to actively avoid media at all costs - but it would be a blow if we lose him to a rival.

6. Gengar

High Score:
    It's not a perfect like-for-like comparison. Xhaka is a similar player, playing in a far inferior system. His ceiling is unclear, but yeah, the dream is he turns into something similar.

I'd prefer Rafa far more than ol' Shark Face or Ancelotti tbh. I think he's criminally undervalued, but my dream is Jardim, or a similar coach's coach. I don't know anything about Buvac tbh, which is why I'm not excited or displeased with the rumour specifically. I'm more excited that they're not just gonna go with the easy choice (like Ancelotti, who doesn't really fit with what we need right now).

7. Zeelthor

Maybe Ainsley Maitland Niles is atheltic enough to make up for Xhaka who looks very, very clumsy sometimes. Iwobi I've got hope for, Kolasinac, too. Mustafi just makes too many stupid decisions and Welbeck... Welbeck is unfortunately a kinda shitty player.

8. Gengar

High Score:
    I've thought Arsene has been doing nothing with our kids for years. Actually worse than nothing, he often plays them out of position and - likely, but I can't confirm - with little proper team drilling to acclimate them to said roles. That leads to them often being sent out to die on the pitch.

Would love a new guy to come in just to see what he makes of them. Mavropanos, Holding and AMN look like real players. Iwobi seems to completely lack end product, but he's a unit. Curious if someone can make a good central midfielder out of him.

9. Zeelthor

Iwobi looked super promising when he came through. Like a more physical Özil. I really hope he'll get a chance under a new coach.

10. elucidinian

elucidinian First Year

I don't know... inasmuch as I like seeing Arsenal struggle, they still are a big club with history and talent (Auba, Ozil and Laca to name a few). A job offer for them would be tempting to anyone, Buvac included. Furthermore, he witnessed firsthand the transformation Liverpool underwent under Klopp. Perhaps he's thinking he can tweak the script a bit and do it too...

11. Ganago

Ganago Squib

Aubameyang, Özil and Lacazette are far from talents - they're established players.

12. elucidinian

elucidinian First Year

By talent I meant talented players - sorry if it confused you. But recent news seems to indicate they're not looking at Buvac so I guess it's a moot point

13. Gengar

High Score:
    Allegri seems to be the fav now. I still want Jardim, but I sure as shit wouldn't sniff at Max...

I'm assuming we'll find out next week. I've a feeling they want to get everything settled, especially in a World Cup year and the first year where the xfer window is closing before the start of the season.

14. Hymsicality

Hymsicality Third Year

From what I've heard, the front runner is Arteta, dude's been writing his own coaching outline and everything.

...god I hope its not Arteta.

15. telecaster11

telecaster11 First Year

My feelings exactly. Arteta has no experience as a manager. If we have to get a former player, they should go with Viera.
    Jardim would be good but I think Eddie Howe should be a part of the conversation- young manager who plays attacking football and has experience in the Premier league.

16. Gengar

High Score:
    Exp in the premier league is overrated - though i certainly understand the trepidation with Arteta given no experience at all.

Jardim is my dream because he turns kids into world beaters - something Howe just doesn't do - and he's won the league in ligue un. With Monaco. Pipping psg.

It doesn't matter because Arteta looks done. I'd despair if it weren't for the fact that Pep, Poch and Arsene are calling him a genius coach. Given all he has to worry about is the actual coaching (as opposed to AW who did everything), I'm leaning more towards excited than worried. His biggest challenge will be conveying his ideas to the players.

I should point out, Arteta's job at City was a lot of one on one training with the midfielders. My excitement comes from how amazing Fernandinho was, given that...

17. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    The DFB Cup final is over, and fucking hell, Bayern was terrible tonight. And, of all teams, against Frankfurt and Jupp Heynckes’ chosen successor, Niko Kovac. So here’s the reckoning.

There were lots of things wrong with this team tonight, and there are lots of things wrong in general. I’m not going to get into the ridiculousness that is Felix Zwayer’s decision-making process and the VAR, that can of worms would be worthy of a post itself. Suffice to say, he forked up and denied Bayern an extremely obvious penalty that could’ve led to extra time. After consulting the slow mo. The same one the whole nation saw and concluded, almost as one, was worthy of a penalty.

Now, for a brief overview of Bayern’s problem areas as deduced by me and a small group of highly (read: much more) knowledgeable friends with whom I spent a good chunk of the last two seasons texting and talking about the team.

Up front, things have to change for the better, or at least less wasteful. Lewandowski hasn’t been the menace he once was in a long time – not in big games, at least. He was very lucky his attempt that led to his goal was deflected. Other than that (and a free kick that hit the crossbar), he was once again pitiful, with little connection to the other players. If anyone is crazy enough to put up €120m plus for him, then good riddance and (hopefully) hello, Dybala! Different type of player but definitely one that could do great things with a great supporting cast.

Mats Hummels and Süle were shockingly slow and offered terrible position play multiple times, which led to two goals. Hummels was god awful last week as well, he urgently needs to get his act together, and not just for the World Cup. With Boateng continually on the verge of or returning from injury (and him even flirting with a transfer), at least one new central defender is urgently needed.

The midfielders looked lost, there was nothing that resembled a game plan beyond “Let’s circulate the ball and see what happens.” They were often, uncharacteristically, outplayed by their Frankfurt counterparts. Kovac has to give them direction and clear tactical approaches. I have a lot of hope for Goretzka in this area. Similarly to Schweinsteiger a decade ago, he might transition into a central midfield director’s role.

Next up, I am thoroughly over Franck Ribéry. I love the guy, despite his many flaws, and I loved to watch him play, but he was completely ineffective today. One genius moment reminiscent of the good old days every three games in simply not enough. We’re getting Serge Gnabry back (who enjoyed a very good campaign in Hoffenheim under the tutelage of Julian Nagelsmann) and Kingsley Coman is once again healthy and was one of the better players on the pitch after he was subbed in, as well as arguably the strongest winger this season, so I am hopeful in that regard. The problem is thus: Under no circumstances can Ribéry be anywhere near the no. 1 option next year, and Robben is getting on in years as well. I am torn between going into next year with these four players plus Müller or bringing in at least one more option for the wings (preferably the left one).

Five years ago, Ribéry and Alaba were the world’s best duo on the left side of the pitch, today, Ribéry is old and slow and Alaba is thoroughly average. I wish Bernat wasn’t leaving (which appears to be the most likely option at this point). I hope Kovac manages to set Alaba right or gets an upgrade for him.

And that’s about it. My wishlist for this summer is thus:

1 LB
    1-2 CB(s)
    1 LW/RW
    1 ST (if Lewandowski leaves)

I hope that tonight’s embarrassment serves as a catalyst for a new era of continued success. Niko Kovac has proven that he can outcoach Bayern, now it’s time for him to prove that he can coach Bayern.

18. Gengar

High Score:
    Bayern never splash cash and I don't even remember the last time there was that much added to the squad...

19. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    One can hope. The closest they came to something as radical as my proposition would be 2007, after missing out on the CL quali.

Anyways, that would be my ideal scenario. I don‘t expect something even remotely like that to happen this summer, if only because then Hoeneß and Rummenigge would be forced to recognize that maybe, just maybe they didn‘t get everything right beyond the obvious Ancelotti & Tuchel mishaps. One problem is that a big part of the fanbase still sees everything Hoeneß does as right by default, which it definitely isn‘t (or not anymore), and no one inside the club who is close to the team is willing to stand up to him. Salihamidzic certainly won’t. As long as that culture pervades, I fear that legitimate shots at international glory might be a thing of the past, coupled with a gradual loss of ground in the Bundesliga, a possible precursor of which we already got to see over the last couple of weeks.

20. TMD

TMD Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

So it's Unai Emery - either Arteta was a smokescreen from the club, or they genuinely considered him #1 until the negative reactions from the fans and switched last minute. Either way, I don't completely hate this - although he wouldn't have been top of the list by any means. Still, at least he's experienced, and multiple EL winner.