1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

The Great/Big Football (Soccer) Thread: 17/18 Edition

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Oment, Jul 5, 2017.

1. 99redbloons

99redbloons Third Year DLP Supporter DLP Bronze Supporter

High Score:
  2. Hymsicality

Hymsicality Third Year

I'm not saying its not true, but the sources reporting on it are questionable at best.

pinknews, daily beast, gay star news

It's more than a little odd that they got the inside scoop to a story that has huge political and social traction.

Also there's no way that peru deserve to 11th in the fifa rankings.

3. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe a cheeky tenner on Suarez for golden boot. Winners usually get 5-8,get might just get that vs SA...

Even cheekier Suarez golden boot + Uruguay to win it... Might just do that.

4. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    So, in case you hadn‘t noticed already, the German defense is really forking bad.

What did they do in the last week or so? Can‘t have been too much training, because, if anything, this is worse than against Austria and Saudi Arabia.

5. Invictus

Invictus Totally Sirius

This had to be the most infuriating match I've seen in a long time. How can you miss so many goals Brazil? HOW?

6. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    That fucking referee pissed me off so much

The Swiss got away with playing so damn dirty that game....

7. Invictus

Invictus Totally Sirius

The Swiss strategy was basically fouling. Not event he lockbolt. UGH. Then of course there was the Swiss goal, while it might've not been a foul, I'm still undecided. But Jesus did suffer a very fucking obvious penalty.

8. Xepheria

Xepheria The Benefactor

High Score:
    Behrami could have stabbed someone and I still don't think the ref would have sent him off :mad:

Swiss goal was a foul I think. Pushed the Brazilian player as the ball was inbound, so he couldn't contest.

Also idek how Brazil didn't get a penalty near the end. Swiss dude had two arms wrapped around him and was pulling...???

9. Zel

Zel Professor

High Score:
    It gets worse considering the availability of the VAR. It was far from a good first match but goddamn, Brazil deserved the victory.

10. telecaster11

telecaster11 First Year

Neymar certainly reacted as if he had been stabbed every time he was near a defender.
    The Swiss played dirty, but Neymar’s reaction every time he was fouled (and some of the times he wasn’t) was ridiculous. You’d think he had broken a leg... ffs he makes getting his shirt tugged look more painful than breaking a bone.
    Also, how about Mexico with a brilliant game-great tactics, great execution. Why tf was Draxler starting over Reus for Germany though?

11. Gengar

High Score:
    You've arguably the best central defence in the tournament. You just have garbage full backs and your midfielders (mainly Khedira) left them completely exposed.

You know you're in trouble when Özil had to TRACK BACK (LOL) to cover for Kimmich who's inexplicably playing cf all game and trying scissor kicks...

12. Invictus

Invictus Totally Sirius

Taking in account the referee ignored everyone that didn't throw themselves and started rolling around (see Jesus and Miranda), it's hard not to at least symphatize.

Neymar was fouled 10 times. More.times as player was fouled in a world cup since 1998.

13. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    The best central defense in name only – and even then, that claim is questionable. As good as he was in 2017, Hummels has played awful football for months, and Boateng just came back from yet another injury. It‘s certainly not only their fault, but they have undoubtedly played a big part in the frighteningly bad performances and results as of late.

14. Gengar

High Score:
    Name any defensive pair you think are better. Remove any shielding they have from cm or fb (if even applicable) and pit them against a counter attacking side.

Then tell me they'll do better.

Defending is a team effort. You can't play seven /eight attackers and expect the few left to hold up. There's definitely arrogance creeping into the German side when players aren't even bothering to win back balls they're carelessly giving away.

Maybe it becomes less of an issue if Reus replaces Muller. More effort, less cheap give-aways etc.

The team is set up horrifically, almost negligently imo.

The only other cb partnership that comes close is Godin and Gimenez, who are also fantastic. Take away Bentacur and the solid defensive structure around them though and you can have the exact same criticisms about them - they're no speedsters.

It just rubs me the wrong way when I see center halves getting slammed constantly when they're put in such dire situations - trust me, I speak from experience as an Arsenal fan...

15. telecaster11

telecaster11 First Year

Does anyone remember when Szczęsny's dad called Mertesacker a rhinocerous in an interview with Polish news? That was the funniest thing ever.
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...sny-father-arsenal-per-mertesacker-rhinoceros

16. Mestre

Mestre DA Member

Portugal played like shit against Morroco. If we play every game like this the cup will be ours.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    Ronaldo playing 5d chess

18. Invictus

Invictus Totally Sirius

Croatia did BAD things to Argentina. Terrible things. Buttstuff.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    I just want Ronaldo to post the troll face meme pic on in IG and I can die a happy man

20. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    Kuipers should get a standing ovation after this match. Neymar, on the other hand, should be booed off the pitch. Good player, terrible actor.