1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

The Great/Big Football (Soccer) Thread: 17/18 Edition

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Oment, Jul 5, 2017.

1. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm gonna start punching anyone who shit talks VAR in the throat from now on. I'd argue it still has teething problems, and some of the really grey rules of the game need clarifying/simplifying, but it's been a rousing success for me so far.

2. Invictus

Invictus Totally Sirius

Fuck Brazil, sure we crushed them with pressure, but we played like shit. To me Neymar should be in the fucking bench after this match. Ridiculous. Coutinho once again is a monster, and Douglas Costa and Firmino played well. Our defensive middlefield is playing like shit and Marcelo didn't play nearly as well as last time, even if he played well. Willian and Jesus fucking suck and should not set foot in this field again.

I keked at the penalty being thrown out. entirely well deserved and fuck anyone that says it was a foul. Fuck Neymar

3. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Unspeakable DLP Supporter

It's amazing how many people on r/soccer were so convinced that Jesus was so much better an option up top than Firmino, and look how much better you all look with him on the pitch.

Neymar is the perfect embodiment of a PSG player.

4. 99redbloons

99redbloons Third Year DLP Supporter DLP Bronze Supporter

High Score:
    I'm admittedly biased as fuck as a Liverpool supporter but I have no idea how Firmino doesn't start for you guys. Also couldn't agree more with you about VAR @Gengar.

As a side note if any of you guys could change/add one rule what would you do?

Personally I'd change the game to two 30 minute halves and stop the clock every time the ball goes out of play. This would immediately stop time wasting which is the thing that annoys me the most in football at the moment and you wouldn't even lose any game time because apparently the ball is only in play for about 60 minutes anyway.

5. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    As a Manchester United fan (though a less enthusiastic one ever since Mou took over – I can’t stand the man), I agree with all of this. Firmino is great and I’m still a bit peeved he doesn’t wear the “other” red jersey during the season.

As for my rule change – include time penalties for tactical fouls. A much better deterrent and penalty, imo, than a yellow card.

I would have to say that I would like to see a 60 minute clock such as you described, however, I don’t think that would be very feasible concerning the rather rigid nature of European live broadcasting schedules. I get the impression that most of the programmes like to finish on time. That being said, with the continued fragmentation of matchdays, this might become more feasible when every game needs an extra live broadcast anyways and there is no need for conferences anymore.

6. Invictus

Invictus Totally Sirius

Both of the Swiss players that scored are of Albanian origin, and both of them were booed by the Serbian audience all the time before the game for no fucking reason. So what hand gesture do they show to the audience? Open palms outwards, thumbs crossed - wings and double head of the Albanian heraldic eagle.

Glorious, but expected from Serbia playing a team whose main stars are allaof Albanian origin.

TMD
  7. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

We are Stoking it up big time and I'm not even mad.

8. Invictus

Invictus Totally Sirius

Sweden played like utter shit in the second half. Like, I have no words. As much as I wanted Germany to lose, Sweden does not deserve to go to the last sixteen playing like this.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    Expect a lot more of this 'aww, how adorable is Iceland' garbage when there's 48 teams.

Muller and Kros were so bad this game too. As amazing as that FK was (and he had to shoot, esp with boateng off and Sweden having the # advantage), it only cancels out his error for the first.

If Sweden had Mexico's forwards though, they'd be out now. They broke so many times in the first half. Good thing they benched that no good Ozil.

Honestly, how the fuck is Muller still not dropped?!

10. Rah

Rah Unspeakable

I can't wait for Lukaku to win the golden boot.

I bleed black yellow and red? Idk not the best with flags.

11. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    I had debated putting a tenner on Panama, just for the fun of it.

I‘m extraordinarily glad I didn‘t.

12. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I would chime in here and say that booing doesn't quite cover it... they were chanting songs about killing all Albanians, and wearing shirts with the image of Ratko Mladic on them, and some were even wearing Chetnik uniforms. I have a neighbor a few doors down that's an Albanian dude, and he was fucking LIT about it. And now it's a rumor that Shaq and Xhaka may get suspended two matches over this too, for a hand gesture. Total crap, the scum fans deserve it.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    If they do get suspended it'll be for a precedent issue, not because they have a problem with it. FIFA want all political statements out of the game to avoid that tricky whataboutery that'll follow.

It's stupid, but I can't begrudge trying to be consistent. They'll probably suspend any suspension until after the tourney though.

14. Ganago

Ganago Squib

D'Ôh, why did I put England as my winner? My friends are laughing at me already, although I can't tell for sure whether they're sarcastic or not. They've displayed pretty things, but I'm curious as to whether they're gonna beat Belgium (or not); that's gonna be the real test.

15. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    Great couple of matches tonight. They definitely made up for Gijon II from this afternoon.

I would have loved for Iceland to make the next round, but Croatia is my dark horse after the group stage. Impressive stuff from hem so far. (Watch them lose in the next round now.)

16. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Croatia has a pretty manageable opponent in Denmark due to winning their group. *Knocks on wood*

The refereeing for penalties has been super inconsistent this tournament. Take for example, the penalty that Nigeria got was pretty soft, albeit something you could call, but then again Tunisia was allowed to play rugby on Harry Kane... On the other hand, the Rojo handball in the box should have been a penalty with how such situations have been called up to this point. I mean, Iran got a penalty against Portugal, and there the ball was played to the hand by Iranian player, meanwhile here Rojo himself played it into his own hand. If the first one, where Cedric had very little or no agency was penalty, then surely this should have been also.

17. diesIovis

diesIovis Fifth Year

No, the Iran penalty was a travesty and never should have been awarded, so this one was correct. Though it won't matter much with the way Argentina is playing. France is going to slaughter them.

18. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Agreed on that part. But refs should be able to keep a more consistent line considering they are using VAR.

19. Gengar

High Score:
    The wording of the hand ball rule has been a shit show for years. At this point I'd be fine with any contact being a foul, deliberate or no, despite how unfair it could feel (especially when you'll get the cunts of the world deliberately aiming for hands).

I'd take unfair over infuriating inconsistencies every day, I think.

20. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

We are clearly the best team in the world now. Pure science, that.