1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

The Great/Big Football (Soccer) Thread: 18/19 Edition: Maybe THIS is our year.

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Johnnyseattle, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

Welcome to 18/19, ladies and gentlemen.

2. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    City are stupid poopyheads

3. 99redbloons

99redbloons Third Year DLP Supporter DLP Bronze Supporter

High Score:
    Carrying on from where the last thread leftoff, I think/hope that Liverpool can at least push City close for the title and I also think that Arsenal we end up at 6th.

As for the rest who the fuck knows? Spurs didn't make any signings, but they got there best players to sign new contracts. United and Mo relationship looks to be falling apart, but it could all be smoke and mirrors and Chelsea still have a good squad and made some very good signings.

All that said I'm going to predict Liverpool/City/United/Spurs/Chelsea/Arsenal as the top six because I think that to discount United is stupid and Spurs have a great squad. (Liverpool to win because wants the point if you don't dream a bit)

4. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Listen lads, I get that you're all excited but let's take a moment to think about all the players this season getting done by this man.

Matteo-Guendouzi-Arsenal-723103.jpg

5. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    I remember, some years ago, likening Mourinho‘s appointment at United to a drastic measure that might bring short-term success, but would sacrifice their mid-to long-term prospects. Mourinho‘s career up until that point had pointed towards an inability or unwillingness to work effectively beyond a three-year threshold and it would appear that things have taken a similar turn at United. His treatment of Martial was abhorrent, and he is at odds with leading players and the higher-ups over the club‘s lack of signings.

The style of football currently practiced at United is not exactly enticing as well, and while it might be conductive to some surprise successes (read: draws) against the offensive might of City or Liverpool, I am firmly convinced that they will hemorrhage points against smaller teams due to a combination of the manager‘s preferred style of play and the players‘ sudden inconsistencies, something Mourinho has not yet been able to solve to any degree close to to satisfaction. Their late meltdown against Leicester already gave an indication of what might be to come. Paul Scholes had it quite right, I‘m afraid, when he said that United was, and I‘m paraphrasing here, a bit of a surprise bag from week to week.

This might be tainted by some personal dislike, but frankly, I don‘t want to see Mourinho at United next season at the latest. That leaves the question of who to replace him with, though. Zidane? A pipe dream more than anything else, IMO. Pochettino? If he isn’t fired at Tottenham, he might become expensive. Conte? Burned. And United won‘t want to be seen as warming up Chelsea‘s leftovers again.

It‘s a tricky situation, to say the least. What‘s Giggsy up to these days, anyways?

6. Hymsicality

Hymsicality Third Year

Bleh Guendozi was at least partially responsible for both goals and was lucky not to be responsible for a third.
    Torreira on the other hand...

We might be finally getting a sequel to Koscielny floors bitches.

7. Johnnyseattle

Well, I guess we know what Hermione decided to do post-Hogwarts.
    --- Post automerged ---
    I think the bigger damning point with him has been the multiple people that have just flat-out refused to even talk to United about transferring there this window - Paul Pogba's showing in the WC would seem to have been the nail in the coffin for this Mou cycle, as there is now no doubt what the lad is capable of when used properly, and I'm assuming many people that never watch Serie A are just now figuring this out. Yet the Mourinhopocalypse just keeps plopping him in, poking him with a stick, and saying "do something."

I await the year 3 meltdown with barely-suppressed glee, and I'm also very curious to see who will be next. Has Rio done his badges? G-Nev maybe? :)

8. momo

momo Slug Club Member

High Score:
    @Johnnyseattle I don't really follow soccer but by our year, do you mean America? Cause like, I'll support us in any sport but I can't think of a world in which a team that didn't even make the world cup wins it all.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    Guendouzi is at the age where he'll basically get away with murder because the potential and quality is so clear.

It's not like he had a stinker, there were just a few lapses in concentration. Understandable for a nineteen year old in his first game after ligue du...

But yeah, Torreira makes me horny. See how unbothered he was by KdB/Sane etc? I already love him.

As much as I like him, starting to think Xhaka has to worry about his place in the squad if he doesn't pick up quick, he has WC leeway atm but that won't last.

10. Johnnyseattle

Haha, no. I'm a Liverpool supporter, and we haven't been top of the Premier League for 28 years. It's kind of a joke amongst the supporters of other clubs, and some Liverpool supporters as well - "Maybe This is Liverpool's year!"

At this point, self-deprecation is the safest bet. :D

11. 99redbloons

High Score:
    And as an example of this I hadn't even properly read the thead title when I made my predictions above and just proved it basically right.

12. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Chelsea will win this year. Then we implode next year. Rinse and repeat.

13. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

If anyone disses Guendouzi I will stab them. :D I mean, yeah, the kid fucked up a few times, but he still looked better than pretty much all the other midfielders the rest of the time. I'd say give him a few more games and see what happens. Preferably, those games aren't next to Xhaka.

14. Gengar

High Score:
    I was really negative on Rambo and Mkhi after the game, but subsequent analysis showed an actual, if rusty, pressing system that didn't work against arguably the best team in Europe atm.

Look it up if you cbf, it's super interesting, and might have actually got a result if our attack was clicking.

15. Hymsicality

Hymsicality Third Year

Oh no, I was very impressed by Guendouzi, his tackling and distribution was mostly on point and he never let his head drop even after his mistakes. The thing is it’s pretty obvious he’s very raw and the only reason he was the best in midfield on the day (not including subs) was because everyone else was so bad.

Xhaka has remained unable to press or be pressed.
    Mikhi did put in a defensive shift but he was completely invisible in the final third.
    Rambo ran and and ran and ran but did nothing, which is easily forgivable, since with how far up he was playing and the runs he was making looked like he was playing as a false nine at times, not a usual position for him.
    Ozil has a shocker where it looked like he was on a complete different wavelength to everyone else.

I actually didn’t mind the Defense too much but sorkratis seems to lack that bit of speed that would have allowed him to get the deflections for the goals but Mustafi and licht were solid. I loved the that first thing licht did when he came on was just to floor Mahrez. Bellerin has a decent game but didn’t have very much going forward.

Cech had an... interesting game. His passing out from the back has gotten a lot of criticism (rightly so) but I don’t think we can ask much more of him, he is one of the few good goalies active today that had to go through the goalkeeping revolution of the early 2010’s when goalies went from shotstoppers to the 11th outfield player, and he’s also 36. Asking him to suddenly change his entire playing style is a bit much. Was good when called upon to save shots though.

Auba didn’t get much service, but the service he did get he did fuck all with, not a very impressive game.

Interested to see torreira v Kante next week.

16. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

This season's just about build-up at any rate. Barring complete insanity, there's no way we're challenging for the title. Best just to focus on next season and, hopefully, getting into top four. I'll really excited by our prospects, at least. It's a shame AMN's out for a while.

17. Hymsicality

Hymsicality Third Year

Getting back into the champions league might be doable though. We’ll see if mourinho can actually manage long term, whether Tottenham can get ny buying no players and how much Chelsea can rebound.

18. 99redbloons

High Score:
    Spare a thought for Robert Kenedy who had a nightmare game where he should have been sent off in the first half, didn't complete a pass until the 58th minute and with the score at 0-0 missed a penalty in the 9th minute.

19. Nevermind

Nevermind Seventh Year

High Score:
    The Chelsea – Arsenal game is something else. Some nice, clean finishes & a belter from Mkhitaryan. Just waiting for a grumpy Jeremy Clarkson tweet right now…

20. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

Good to get the win. Even better to win against Arsenal.

Hopefully Hazard gets his full match fitness back soon, my fantasy team doesn't like him starting on the bench.