1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

The Great/Big Football (Soccer) Thread: 18/19 Edition: Maybe THIS is our year.

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Johnnyseattle, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Gengar

Gengar Polymagus Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    lol... imagine an Arsenal v Spurs super cup...

2. Hymsicality

Hymsicality Fourth Year

Spurs v Ajax is going to be a weird weird game without Kane OR son. Alli false nine? Llorente hoof ball? Ajax probably to win in the first leg but god knows who goes through.

On a different note, napoli were just shockingly bad. At their own stadium against arsenal away from home 6 shots on target across 2 games. Just awful. Has Ancelotti lost his magical touch? Do they just give no shits about the Europa league?

3. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    I can tell you with some degree of certainty that Ancelotti lost his magical touch some time before 2016. The continued detereotation of Guardiola’s beautiful, but fragile Bayern Munich started with him. Basically, it got a lot less beautiful and stayed just as fragile. Although he wasn’t aided by an aging squad.

These days, Ancelotti is still a good coach on the national level, but I feel like he is much more prone to being outwitted by his opponents on the international stage than he used to be in his glory days. Napoli currently being 17 points behind Juve and six ahead of Inter in a very average Serie A sounds about right for them.

Regarding the CL semifinals, both matchups should be a blast. I’m hoping for Ajax vs Barcelona in the final, personally. It would be the duel of the clubs van Gaal helped build.

4. Hymsicality

Hymsicality Fourth Year

From what I recall there was a huge backlash from the senior Bayern players who found fault with Ancelottis laizze-faire style managing especially when it just came directly after peps micromanaging intense style and wasn’t producing immediate results. So i was willing to give Ancelotti a bye there. I mean his career has been insane and one season at Napoli is difficult to judge him on especially since sarri was such an integral part of Napoli’s identity and he took the primary playmaker in Jorginho with him.

What I found pretty inexcusable in their performance is that Napoli seemed just so bad on a player level. Insigne looked like a shit van persie with playing off the shoulder of the last defender but being incapable of ever being onside. Their wide players seemed completely incapable of crossing and no one was capable of finishing. It was just odd. Fair play to arsenal but there’s no way Napoli should be this bad at their own stadium.

For the final id personally want Liverpool v Ajax. Like holy shit if that Wouldn’t be an entertaining match. Barca is pretty much whether Messi is on or not. If he is it’s the second leg vs Man U if he isn’t it’s the first leg which was meh to the extreme. For Europa league an all English final would be interesting. Can sarri save his job with a Europa league win when di matteo lost his even after a champions league win? Will arsenal actually have a semi successful season immediately after Wenger left? Who knows

5. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    The first season wasn’t even that bad. Sure, the quality of play declined somewhat, but that was to be expected after Pep and results were still decent overall. It was the second season and a string of both extremely poor performances and results that made his firing inevitable. I’m a bit hazy on the details, but I think at that point he might’ve been on a warning from either Rummenigge or Salihamidzic regarding the fact that most players were very unhappy. So after the 0:3 away at PSG… there was nowhere to go, unfortunately.

It was a shame, really, as his character was quite well-liked by the fans and he’s still friends with Rummenigge.

As for the status quo, Kovac has done a reasonable job with a squad that is in the final stages of that weird in-between state of declining stars and bright-eyed youngsters. Given the lack of reasonable alternatives, I’m all for giving him another year. Pavard and Hernandez should be upgrades over Rafinha and (hopefully) Boateng, and I hope that players like Alphonso Davies, Jeong Woo-yeong and Lukas Mai can make the next step in the summer. The addition of Hudson-Odoi seems unlikely at the moment, at least for next year, so another update would be appreciated, but on the whole I am more than happy to go into the next decade with Coman and Gnabry as our wingers. I just hope they can stay healthy.

6. Hymsicality

Hymsicality Fourth Year

Since I’m in Munich for a year, I should probably read up more on Bayern’s current situation, so cheers for the insight. I’ve only watched their champions league games this season so it’s difficult to form a judgement on that alone but they don’t feel like world beaters anymore the way that man city, Barca or even Ajax do. But yeh I’m pretty psyched to see the transition to young players they’re in the middle of.

On a different note what an absolute shithouse of a game that is from man city and spurs lol. So many cynical fouls, diving and time wasting as a neutral It was glorious to see.

7. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Death Eater DLP Supporter

Sterling thought he was Diego Costa for a bit there. Great kid off the pitch, total cunt on it today.

8. Hymsicality

Hymsicality Fourth Year

There’s something about costas man on the edge, pantomime villain aesthetic that’s quite satisfying even for an arsenal fan like me to watch. Whereas there’s something a bit incongruous with sterlings dancing around the edge of the box with raptor hands one moment and then shitcunting the next. It’s like he’s Joffrey to Diego’s bronn.

9. 99redbloons

99redbloons Third Year DLP Supporter DLP Bronze Supporter

High Score:
    It's the hope that kills you.

Even now I still think we could snatch a result in the next leg and go through to the final.

10. Hymsicality

Hymsicality Fourth Year

ehhhh...if messi was out of form maybe. But holy shit this messi though. I don't think liverpool are capable of shutting down this barca when they need to score 3, even at anfield. I'd say liverpool to win the second leg but barca to go through.

If only salah hadnt fucked that golden opportunity.

11. Jarizok

Jarizok Professor

3-1 would have been so much more palatable as well. It’s like Klopp said, they played well. If they get beat 3-0 playing well, the fuck are they supposed to do in the return?

This game also crushed what tiny hope I had at Ajax taking it all. There’s just no way this Barca aren’t winning it.

12. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    Sure, Dortmund, if you don’t want the title, we’ll gladly take it off your hands…

We need two draws from two challenging opponents – Leipzig and Frankfurt. Even Kovac’s Bayern Munich simply cannot fork this up (despite recent evidence to the contrary).

13. 99redbloons

High Score:
    It's alright guys there's always next year.

(But seriously just fucking end me)

14. Hymsicality

Hymsicality Fourth Year

Which team are you referring to lol, there's been so many bollocking it up lately

15. 99redbloons

High Score:
    Liverpool

16. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

No shame in losing like this. It sure must suck, but you've done an unbelievable season... Then there's Arsenal who are clearly attempting to Out-Sp*rs Tottenham.

17. 99redbloons

High Score:
    There's no shame, I'm proud for how the season has gone. Just gutted that it'll end like this.

18. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

What the fuck Liverpool.

19. Nevermind

Nevermind Professor

High Score:
    Unbelievable from Liverpool, but it’s worth remembering that Barcelona have been really effing terrible today.

20. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Holy shit, Oment. I just saw your comment and start in time to see the fourth. DONT FUCK THIS UP LIVERPOOL!