1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want some serious feedback about your writing? Enter the Q3 2019 Story Competition!

Topic(s): EITHER
    - What the Professors get up to in the summers.
    - Ritual Magic!

Word count: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: September 9th
    Check out the Competition Page
    Dismiss Notice

The Great/Big Football (Soccer) Thread: 18/19 Edition: Maybe THIS is our year.

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Johnnyseattle, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

What even the fuck was that fourth goal. I'd call it shocking defending, if there was any defending to be seen.

I'll be honest, I hadn't tuned in because I thought the thing was done and dusted, before I heard my downstairs neighbours go bonkers.

2. buzzer

buzzer Fifth Year DLP Supporter DLP Bronze Supporter

High Score:
    Fucking hell. Incredible. I can't believe what I've just seen.

3. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Headmaster DLP Supporter

Trent Alexander-Arnold is only 20. Holy shit, to pull that off in the CL semis.

4. Peteks

Peteks Order Member

That fourth goal is at the same time some utter brilliance from Alexander-Arnold, but my god is that worst piece of set piece defense I've ever seen. Laughably pathetic, and in CL semis no less.

I don't really like Liverpool, but god do I love it when Barcelona get humiliated. Their active fanbase has the highest concentration of total wankers out of any club.

5. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I will never forget RVP's red card against Barcelona. Fuck them, their cheating and their bought refs.

6. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Sixth Year

Yup their entire subreddit was so self congratulatory before the game, about how they would show liverpool their place and whatever at anfield. A pretty satisfying win, now lets see if spurs have it in them to do the same tonight.

7. Nosss

Nosss Seventh Year

Truly unbelievable result and utterly deserved.

The way Suarez and Coutinho shrunk before the atmosphere they left behind was beautiful but last night was really all about the players we have now.

Origi has been an absolute hero at this times season and the entire midfield showed a passion that is so so exciting for the future. Mane continued to be the best winger in the world and somehow van Dijk wasn't even the best centre half on the pitch (Matip take a bow). I think it is fair to say we have the best fullback combination in the world, and they breathe the club. And what a difference a keeper can make! Apparently, in the Camp Nou Allison refused to come up for a corner at the end. He knew this was possible - he'd beaten Barca in a similar way last year and been blown away by Liverpool too.

These players are so likeable and a joy to watch. It is a privelage to watch them week in week out. Hopefully we can cap this remarkable season with a trophy, but even if we don't this will be a team that goes down in Liverpool folklore.

8. Johnnyseattle

This, to me, is the best part of this whole thing. There have been a lot of changes since he got his leg broken by that Everton cunt, and he was out so long I think people forgot how good a form he was getting into when it happened. I love seeing guys that just perform well enough that you have no choice but to put them on the team sheet, and he's really put it all out there the last few weeks.

9. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Well, @Zeelthor, you might be happy with the current scoreline.

10. Jarizok

Jarizok Professor

I’m going to say it’s not looking great for Spurs to advance.

Ajax for CL Champ 2019!!!

11. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

And all of a sudden, it's tied up.

Schöne getting subbed immediately after the 2-2 has to hurt.

12. Zeelthor

Damn it, Oment. You jinxed it! :p

13. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Spurs through, Ajax defence crumbled at the last possible second.

14. Zeelthor

God damn it all.

15. Johnnyseattle

Aged like a dead skunk.

16. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Sixth Year

That was fucking glorious. Jesus christ. This spurs side who looked so worn out and had scored only one goal in the past five games just outplayed ajax in amsterdam and scored the winner in the 96' minute. I'm lost for words. They looked done at half time, absolutely done.

But man when Ajax made that defensive sub and started wasting time I was like the third goal was absolutely inevitable.

17. Jarizok

Jarizok Professor

Rip. The dream is dead, never to return.

18. buzzer

buzzer Fifth Year DLP Supporter DLP Bronze Supporter

High Score:
    The best champions league semi finals round of all time?

19. Nevermind

Nevermind High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I think I still prefer Bayern‘s and (at least in the first leg) Dortmund‘s complete and utter annihilation of Barça & Real in 2013.

But definitely one of the best, even though I like neither of the results.

20. Nevermind

Nevermind High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Bumping this thread to talk a bit about tonight‘s German cup final and next week‘s Champions League final.

First of all, I want to point out that courtesy of tonight’s cup triumph, Bayern have won their first double since 2016 (on the final splendid spring night of the glorious days of Pep), and I am very pleased with both the result (3:0 against RB Leipzig) and the way the team played, which was a rarity for me this year. The defense mostly neutralised Leipzig‘s dangerous offensive machine (Kimmich and Neuer in particular were outstanding), and the offense created lots of scoring opportunities. Lewandowski scored the 1:0 via a beautifully controlled header while moving away from the goal, and Coman delivered another world-class goal deep into the second half, completely faking out his defender with the first touch and then hammering the ball into the net. Lewa‘s second goal off an incredible Kimmich long ball (probably not 100% planned, but I‘ll take it) was the icing on the cake.

Of course, tonight also marked the end of an era. Robbéry are gone, and so is the ever-reliable backup wingback Rafinha. From an emotional standpoint, I‘ll miss them all tremendously, as they all did incredible things for the club. However, with the next generation firmly in place, now is the time to move on. The only one out of the trio whose contract I might have extended was Robben, but his injury history this season probably put paid to that. Jerôme Boateng is also set to leave the club, but given his incredible lack of proper attitude over the past couple of weeks and especially tonight I can‘t say I‘m too sorry to see the back of him. His former partner in crime Mats Hummels, meanwhile, continues to surprise me with his good defensive play and occasional offensive excursion. I had pretty much given up on him in November, but he has enjoyed a very good run of form over the last couple of months and was one of the more outspoken members of the team when it came to recognising their shortcomings this season. I hope he can keep it up.

All in all, it was a rocky start to Niko Kovač‘s tenure, but it was ultimately a successful one. The fans rallied behind him, and I hope that with one more season of experience under his belt and an exciting new crop of players to work with he can impart onto the team a smoother and better offensive identity next season.

And lastly, Coco Tolisso is finally back from his ACL tear. I absolutely love the guy and God, I hope he stays healthy for a long time.

———————

Moving on to the second and final topic of this post, who do we fancy for the Champions League final? I might actually watch this year, after I skipped Liverpool’s first attempt at ultimate glory in favour of the equally ill-fated Solo: A Star Wars Story because the wounds following Bayern’s semifinal exit against Real were just too raw.

I‘m all for Tottenham for a couple of reasons.

1) The inevitble media shirtstorm should Klopp manage to lose yet another final, and his third UCL one at that.

2) I‘m a ManUnited fan and as much as Liverpool would deserve a title after their outstanding Premier League campaign, I can‘t say I fancy the prospect of them throwing the UCL cup into Madrid‘s night sky too much.

3) Similar to Klopp, Pochettino has done some stellar work with his team. However, over the last couple of years that came about with the help of considerably fewer resources and, frankly, talent than Liverpool and if I can‘t have Ajax winning it all this season, I would like to see at least one other successful underdog story.

4) And finally, the LOLs of Tottenham winning the Champions League before Arsenal. Double LOLs in the case of an Arsenal defeat agaisnt Chelsea.

All of that being said, now that I‘ve publicly proclaimed my allegiance, temporary as it may be, Liverpool will probably blow poor Tottenham out of the water.

EDITed for a minor grammatical error.