1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Want some serious feedback about your writing? Enter the Q3 2019 Story Competition!

Topic(s): EITHER
    - What the Professors get up to in the summers.
    - Ritual Magic!

Word count: 17.5k max (no minimum)
    Deadline: September 9th
    Check out the Competition Page
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Q3 2019 Story Competition has 17 DAYS LEFT! (September 9th)

Check out the Competition Page and get writing folks!
    Dismiss Notice

The Great/Big Football (Soccer) Thread: 19/20 Edition - Red Kit Redemption

Discussion in 'Real Life Discussion' started by Johnnyseattle, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Headmaster DLP Supporter

100 Points or nothing, Ladies and Gentlemen.

Some stuff to wonder about, the day after the CL final:

-- Can United and Arsenal draw the names they need to take them back into the top 4?

-- Can United figure out how to jettison all the dead weight - and I'm talking about Woodward, really.

-- Will City rack up another 95+ point season after spending the paltry sum of only €250M

-- Any of the promoted clubs stay up?

-- Will Wolves, Everton, or someone else crack the traditional top 6?

Enjoy the season, and keep it civil lads.

2. Jarizok

Jarizok Professor

Will Ajax finally win the CL?

3. TMD

TMD Professor DLP Supporter

According to Ornstein (most reliable source for Arsenal), we have only £40m to spend this summer. The best we can hope for is to shift some of the dead weight like Mustafi and Ozil with his ridiculous wages to raise some funds. We're desperately in need of improvements at the back. Leno has looked to be a good buy, and Sokratis was arguably our best defender despite his age. Koscielny has chronic ankle issues and is getting on in years, Mustafi is garbage, Monreal is ageing, Bellerin is regularly injured, and Kolasinac isn't a great defender - he offers more as an attacking wing back. If that was our only need, i'd say sell some players and go for a VVD-esque signing, someone who can be the rock of a title challenging defence - but sadly it's not. Iwobi is our only real winger, and i'm not convinced by him despite definite improvement - we need a creative attacking winger that can link up with fullbacks and be the transition between wide play and Laca/Auba. Much like what Mahrez did for Leicester with Vardy, and what Son does with Kane. Denis Suarez was supposed to be that for us, but that was a complete waste of time. Some suggest we need another CM as well. Personally I think it's less of a priority.

Kroenke's self sustaining model simply doesn't work unless you either have a youth academy pumping out talents that sell to other big clubs for £40m+ like Monaco, Porto or Ajax, or you spend all your money gambling on young unproven talents who you then sell for massive profit later, like Guendouzi. The issue with that is, our academy doesn't produce players like De Ligt and De Jong regularly if at all, and Sven Mislintat aka one of the best scouts in the world left us in January only a year or so after joining from Dortmund because of internal club politics. So essentially we're fucked. I'd rather be in this position at least than Utd who spend hundreds of millions and are also still shit, but I can't see that lasting much longer. As soon as they get their thumb out and overhaul their squad they'll be back to challenging. At least Chelsea might have a transfer ban, so there's some good news.

4. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Yeah... I think we could add a decent chunk to that 40 million if we manage to offload a lot of dead weight. Mustafi has good games in him every so often and I think that at a lower level team, he'd do fine. Özil needs to go. Micki, too. They're just being paid too much. Honestly, I wouldn't mind us trying to promote a few academy players and see how that goes.

The main priority has to be solidifying our defense. We have two very good strikers. If the defense is solid, we can always play counter-attacking football with Aubemayang as the tip of the spear. Definitely agree with you on the need for a Mahrez sort of a player, TMD.

5. Jarizok

Jarizok Professor

Some pundits here have been saying that Arsenal would be the perfect club for Ziyech to go to. Do you guys reckon he'd do well in the Mahrez role? 40 Mil should be plenty to get him from us and I reckon he finds Arsenal an alright move right now if not his dream club.

6. srikant61

srikant61 Fifth Year

Well.... I certainly didn't expect us to actually try for Nicolas Pepe, much less be in a position where we are the favorites to sign him.

7. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Sixth Year

Nketiah and nelson look really promising.

I love how Bale has single handedly reversed everyone's opinion about Zidane.

Newcastle replace Benitez with Bruce in what is probably the worst trade deal of all time.

The womens world cup was also really interesting! The standards still aren't quite as high as the men's side but what a massive improvement over the last world cup that was.

8. Smore

Smore Second Year DLP Supporter

I'm definitely looking forward to the existential crisis of being a Man Utd fan for another year.

9. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Sixth Year

Man U might get Dybala, which is nice?

Chelsea look surprisingly good without hazard.

Man City and Liverpool look strong.

Tottenham's rebuilding project looks over before it's begun.

Arsenal look to have a deadly front line and like zero defense to speak of which was a hugely entertaining system for Klopp's first season. Not sure my heart could survive it tho.

10. TMD

Pepe is done, Ceballos done, Tierney apparently done, Saliba done and will be with us next year. Mustafi maybe getting sold for more than £10 and a packet of crisps. Ridiculous window from the new management despite apparently only having a 40m budget. We're doing a liverpool 2011/12 with no defence and a world class attack. It's our fucking year boys. Also bets on who gets sacked first, OGS or Lampard?

11. Nevermind

Nevermind Auror

High Score:
    My (entirely fictional) money out of the two is on both surviving the season, as I think Lampard has great potential as a coach. As for ManUtd, As long as OGS can broadly steer us towards the Top 4, he‘ll be safe. Because let‘s be honest, anything better than 4th would require a massive run of form from a squad that, to put it charitably,still has quite a bit of room for improvement left. And anything worse than 4th would hardly be a surprise, especially with the recent Bailly injury putting a damper on an otherwise decent preseason. Chelsea will probably square off with Tottenham for 3rd.

In reality, I predict a reasonably safe run towards 5th or 6th, duelling with Arsenal over the questionable honour of just missing out on the Champions League spots.

Could Solskjaer, Carras & Co. truly be the guys to lead us back to the glory land? I have no idea. But then again, who could?

On Dybala, I still like Lukaku, somehow – I think he got quite a bit of undeserved stick last season – but Dybala would probably be an upgrade. Wouldn‘t mind that swap at all.

12. Johnnyseattle

That was 13/14 if you're referencing the Suarez/Sturridge flurry (we finished 8th in 11/12, ouch), but that was my exact thought. Going to be a lot of 4-3 matches either way.

13. TMD

fuck me it was that recently? Makes liverpool's transformation under Klopp all the more impressive.

14. Johnnyseattle

It really has been. It's easy to forget that at one point, less than a decade ago, we were actually in a relegation spot for a bit with Roy Hodgson as our manager, and were in absolute shambles financially before John Henry/FSG bought us in 2010. 13/14 was a flash of brilliance that was possible because of Luis Suarez, but that was a fluke. Klopp changed the culture of the club to where it should be. Will it endure more than a few years? Fuck me, who knows. But I can die happy now having seen last season, so he gets a lifetime pass from me.

15. Hymnsicality

Hymnsicality Sixth Year

The last time Arsenal bought a pacy African winger from Lille it was...Gervinho. Hopefully this one goes better than that trainwreck.

Lampard just feels like a disaster waiting to happen. No transfer budget. Lost their marquee player. Mediocre coaching career. Disinterested owner. So of course he's going to succeed somehow.

Somehow OGS is worse though. Shoddy tactics that got found out towards the end of last season with no convincing plan b of note, can he completely reinvent himself into a tactical genius in 1 transfer window? It's doubtful.

16. buzzer

buzzer Fifth Year DLP Supporter DLP Bronze Supporter

High Score:
    Are we going to do the DLP fantasy football league this year?

17. Jarizok

Jarizok Professor

I’ve only changed my draft 14 times so far, so I’m feeling pretty good about it. I’ll crush all y’all!

18. buzzer

buzzer Fifth Year DLP Supporter DLP Bronze Supporter

High Score:
    As the reigning champ in both leagues bring it on.

19. srikant61

srikant61 Fifth Year

So.... Martinelli, Ceballos, Saliba , Tierney, Pepe and David Luiz.... What a transfer window for Arsenal! Shame that Iwobi had to leave.

20. Nevermind

Nevermind Auror

High Score:
    4:0 against Chelsea… OLE’S AT THE WHEEL, BENCHES. THIS IS OUR YEAR.

Sorry. I had a celebratory gin tonic or two.

In other news, City are looking like their usual imperious selves. I usually couldn’t care less at this point of the season, but given my newfound dislike of Pep, I am, for once, rather annoyed.