1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Havoc Side of the Force by Tsu Doh Nimh - T - HP/Star Wars

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Hw597, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

Title: The Havoc Side of the Force
    Author: Tsu Doh Nimh
    Rating: T
    Genre: Fantasy/ Mystery
    DLP Category: Alternative
    Chapters: 7
    Words: 31,217
    Updated: October 24, 2012
    Published: September 6, 2012

Summary: I have a singularly impressive talent for messing up the plans of very powerful people - both good and evil. Somehow, I'm always just in the right place at exactly the wrong time. What can I say? It's a gift.
    Link: The Havoc Side of the Force

Side Stories:

Title: The Unsuspecting side of the Force
    Rating: T
    Genre: Fantasy/ Mystery
    DLP Category: Alternative
    Chapters: 3
    Words: 11,450
    Updated: November 2, 2012
    Published: October 9, 2012
    Summary: A companion fic to "The Havoc side of the Force". Extra scenes and different perspectives from that story.
    Link: The Unsuspecting Side of the Force (Side Stories)
    Harry Potter/ Star Wars cross.

I feel like nowadays it is next to impossible to find new stories worth reading anywhere but here at DLP. This story has proven me wrong.
    It's still early days but the quality of the writing suggests that it could one day be a 5/5. At this point I will call it 4/5 until more of the actual plot is revealed. Writing is very solid. The characterization is strong, and Harry is suitably kick ass.
    In fact, after reading it I kind of suspected it was Jbern writing under a psuedonym (something about this reminds me of Bungle/ Lie).

Checked by Minion, February 4, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2013
  2. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

Wasn't this in the Almost Recommended thread? It seems familiar.

Edit: Jbern with a Tsu Doh Nimh, eh? I see what you did there...

Just now read the fic. 5/5 for Harry's Droid friend alone.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
  3. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Absolutely love what I've seen so far. 5/5 from me. Plot hasn't been revealed yet, but everything else has been great.

4. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

It's a bloody guilty pleasure. It is wildly different so as being amusing with decent writing, but Harry is one of those hurp a durp anti-heroes, murder and darkness is cool, and something else about acting awesome.

5. coleam

coleam Death Eater

Been following this since it showed up in the Almost Recommended thread, and I've enjoyed it, if for no other reason than it's a Star Wars crossover that doesn't suck.

4/5 for solid writing and HK-47. It really hasn't gone anywhere yet though - 6 chapters in and we only just figured out when in the SW universe it takes place.
    Pretty sure it's Phantom Menace, given the discussion of a Trade Federation invasion.

6. Infidel

Infidel Auror

Excellent. I was planning to put this up for review, but wanted to wait till the story progressed a bit.

I enjoy the characters. HK-47's and Harry's dialogues are real fun to read. The chapters ending comments are usually great, but the reaction of the force sensitives to his appearance and later his apparation has me concerned that he might have too great an advantage.

A solid 4/5 right now. Looking forward for more.

7. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

I rather like this story. One of the best SW crossovers, probably because there are almost no good ones to speak off.

It is a bit too focused on a dark Harry picture, and the added HK-47 does fit very well with the characterization but so far the characterization itself isn't anything miraculous.

Also, there's a companion(minion) piece to the story that's supposed to be focused on the other events at the same time, and I don't like the way certain things are written.
    Apparently, upon the arrival of Harry Potter, someone else came as well, and both of their presence sent a tremor down the force powerful enough to knock out a bunch of Jedi and even the local Sith lord/emperor-wannabee.
    And that handling of the 'signal' is something that I think was totally meaningless and doesn't really show any power on anyone's part, but is simply lousy writing, trying to get attention to things that shouldn't be as important.

So yeah, all in all it's somewhere ~3.5/5 and I think I'm going to wait a few updates to write a mark, but I am leaning towards 4, especially if ignoring the extra material.

8. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I don't know how he's going to get out of the corner he's written Harry into by not understanding the language.
    At some point he has to do a time-skip of at least a couple of weeks to have Harry learn Basic.

Also, I completely agree with SmileOfTheKill on the anti-hero issue.
    Harry is pretty much just an asshole and I haven't really seen anything that would make me want to stick with the character long-term.
    It's like I said in the Almost Recommended thread: it's something that would have been popular on DLP 5 years ago - darkish, badass, anti-hero Harry - but nowadays I need something more.

The only thing that holds it together until now has been the setting and the suspense of where the plot will go in that setting.

9. Kurufinwe

Kurufinwe Groundskeeper

10. Novera

Novera Seventh Year

I really like this one. First of all, its a Star Wars crossover that is readable. Secondly, the main characters are written in a way that is highly entertaining to read. The problem is that Harry is completely unrecognizable.

The story seems to follow canon until the end of book 7, but then Harry does a complete 180. Sure, the author might justify the change as Harry getting a little pay back, but on arrival in the Star Wars universe you would think that would tone down a bit. The complete lack of empathy that this Harry exhibits is so far from canon Harry that I would say that he is simply an OC that happened to share a name and experience with canon Harry.

The one turn of events that the author uses to explain the shift is pretty weak as well.

Before I wrote this, I was going to give this a 4/5, but I think that it is closer to a 3/5 because of the complete lack of anything recognizable in Harry.

That doesn't mean that I am not sticking with it, though. It is decently written and fun to read if only for the simple fact that this Harry and HK-47 are hilarious.

11. 13thadaption

13thadaption Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

It's pretty short to try and rate, and the plot hasn't so much as reared its head yet, but I'd probably give it a 4/5.

I was expecting barely readable when I read it was a HP/SW crossover, and I was pleasantly surprised. Harry's characterization is a bit out there, but no more so than half the other stuff I like on this site. I'm not even sure I'd call it dark!Harry, exactly. Sure he's ruthless, but he's not waxing poetic about the Dark Arts or anything. He talks the talk, but I expect his people saving thing will reappear in some capacity at some point. At the moment he doesn't even really have anyone he can empathize with to want to save.

Anyway it's new, it's interesting, and I could use something on my favorites list that actually updates. I am pleased.

12. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter DA Member

I like it. 4/5

13. Moeed

Moeed Third Year

4/5. If there is a deeper plot then what we have been shown so far then I'll give it 5.

14. Kyouzou

Kyouzou First Year

Plot issues aside, I'm really enjoying this so far, the dynamic between Harry and HK is particularly hilarious when mixed with the whole anti-hero shtick he has going on. Although I will admit, the lack of a hero complex is somewhat disappointing. 4/5

15. Marcus Livius Drusus

Marcus Livius Drusus Banned DLP Supporter

This is about as good as a Star Wars cross can be. The universes are just way too incompatible. Science fiction and fantasy are like water and oil: similar in many ways but they don't mix well, unless you've got an egg to help create an emulsion...and some vinegar for flavour, perhaps spread on toast and topped with bacon, lettuce and tomatoes. Excuse me, I must leave--I've just made a discovery of great importance.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  16. Nargles

Nargles Seventh Year

It might be a good idea to add this link to the OP. I get the feeling this fic is going to be incomplete without the extra scenes.

17. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Added. Which makes me want to go add a bbcode for ffn links. >_>

[noparse]FanFiction.Net[/noparse] would be awesome. >_>

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  18. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It would be awesome if it existed. So it now... it exists. Top post format section is relevant. Quote for ease of use:

Doublepost for attention.

19. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

A fun read, with anti- hero Harry romping through the starting phase of the war against the Confederacy on Coruscant. The addition of the "side stories" has opened up a glimpse of the possible plot too, and it looks promising enough.

4/5

20. Pirazy

Pirazy Groundskeeper

Harry Potter kicking ass and taking names with the greatest droid ever invented as a sidekick?

Yeah this might just be the best starwars crossover ever written.