1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Lovegood Way by Komillia - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Averis, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: The Lovegood Way
    Author: Komillia
    Rating: T
    DLP Category: Romance/General
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3937003/1/The_Lovegood_Way
    Summary: They are best friends first. Mother and daughter second. At least that's the Lovegood way. [HarryLuna, postDH]

For whatever reason, this story captured my attention and seems like it has potential to be a good postDH story. Of course, the biggest possible downfall is the fact that it's written from the point of view of Luna's daughter (which context clues cause us to assume is also Harry's illegitimate spawn) and Luna herself, rather than from the point of view of Harry Potter. There's only one chapter thus far, but it was published today and it's 10,000+ words.

So far it follows Deathly Hallows' storyline, but the fact that it's Harry's daughter means it must be somewhat AU. The story is pretty well written, so I decided that despite it's obvious anti-DLP stigmas, a few of you Luna fanboys might enjoy it. Plus it seems like there is underlying hatred between Ginny and Luna, so maybe we'll see her get mauled by a snorcack (figuratively speaking of course) or Harry will flip shit when he finds out his semen has manifested in a fifteen year old Hogwarts student.

We can only hope.

2. LogrusMage

LogrusMage Supreme Mugwump

Sigh... I'll give it a shot I guess. Be back with a review shortly.

EDIT: The writing is good enough, I suppose. And the concept is... not terrible. But the characters don't agree with me. I suppose an old Luna would be slightly less crazy, but the authors very few attempts at Luna-Craziness fail miserably. As well, her name choice is simply atrocious. I have no idea how to pronounce half of her OC's names. Or is that Rowling's choices? Victoire and Lacus, anyone wanna tell me how to pronounce them?

As well, the whole thing with Lacus and the forgettable OC boy is plain old awful. It's disgustingly fluffy. I can't picture Luna's daughter being star struck by "the cutest boy in class".

I'll give it a 2.5/5. 2 points are for the decent writing; her grammar and spelling is fine from what I saw. The half is for making the "context clues" indicating Lacus is Harry's daughter subtle. IE: Lacus doesn't have black, messy hair and green eyes, so the only indication that Harry actually fathered her is Luna's reaction to meeting Harry. However, Harry didn't exactly act like he was meeting a secret lover, you'd think he'd be a bit more flustered, especially in front of his wife.

So yeah, I'm rounding the 2.5/5 up to a three, because it has potential to get better and be trash bin worthy.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  3. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

Victoire is canon (Fleur and Bill's daughter), Lacus or whatever the fuck she's named isn't.

4. Raijin

Raijin Slug Club Member

Lacus....think someone watched to much Gundam Seed.

5. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Or wrote too much. :p

Even Gilmore Girls is fine, but Gundam Seed should stay far, far from Harry Potter.

6. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Not anything special really. It felt like I was reading a filler chapter. Kindda boring actually.

2.5/5

7. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The person who wrote this should of had their heart ripped out, temple of doom style.

8. Mors

Mors Denarii Host DLP Supporter

...wut? The story isn't very good, I agree, but the writing isn't that bad. Besides this is just the beginning, and I suppose the story will get better when all the Family/Romance stuff actually starts. Luna wasn't like what I imagined her to be as an adult though. Still, H/L ftfw. 2.75/5, that is, a little better than average. Especially since no grammar mistakes caught my eye.