1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain)
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

The Media [Derail] Thread

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Solfege, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Amekonnen

Amekonnen Fourth Year

High Score:
  2. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm not particularly a fan of that, but that's more because Amazon, Google, et al control entirely too much as-is and giving them another market isn't something I want.

That said, I have the feeling Amazon isn't going to be biting, as they're already being investigated for antitrust. I can't see them trying to expand into more markets until that's over and done with.

3. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

I'll dump this here, mostly on account of the inherently political status of this news, yet not quite adjacent enough for the Trumperium to be the place...

Reddit quarantined r/the_donald.

The reason was up on the subreddit, has been deleted, but thankfully, r/OutOfTheLoop was on the ball.

[​IMG]

I am... Surprised on multiple counts. Mostly that Reddit took action - it always felt a bit like t_d was too big to fail, in some way. (If not in actual traffic numbers, then surely in loudness.) Second place goes to them apparently disabling the report button in their CSS or something? Someone in the OutOfTheLoop thread argued that this was actually one of the reasons why Reddit didn't do much, too, which feels like it kind of straddles Hanlon's Razor on the wrong side, but eh.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  4. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Order Member DLP Supporter

One of the more amusing things I got out of this subreddit drama saga was that the_dolan tried to migrate to Voat but were too thin skinned to stay around the actual nazis.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    Nothing to be surprised by imo. Reasons given by the admins (that mods weren't moderating) and pissed of T_D subs (they banned us because of 2020 and on the eve of the first Dem primary debate) may both have a grain of truth to them, but Reddit takes action like this when a subreddit gets enough media attention that it becomes a PR problem. Happened before with a bunch of subs banned in the last few years that had operated just fine for some years before that. r/ChapoTrapHouse is basically a mirror of T_D but no has raised a stink about it yet, so admins can chill.

T_D's custom CSS was obnoxious as fuck though.

6. Microwave

Microwave Groundskeeper

Not even the most obnoxious part of r/t_d.

Speaking of obnoxious CSS.

7. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    So that's where Vlad has been hiding out.

8. theimmortalhp

theimmortalhp Second Year

Man tries to pretend he didn't make all of it

9. ScottPress

High Score:
    1,826+3348
  10. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Headmaster DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

11. ScottPress

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    @Johnnyseattle

Completely serious. Antifa sucks. And it's not the first time one of those thugs gave someone a head injury and then scurried away like a dirty coward.

12. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

13. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

antifa is a gang of far-left totalitarians, typically of a Marxist bent. I'm not sure it's fair to classify them as fascist, as fascism is explicitly about the state being absolute and all exist to serve the state, while the antifa dream is one wherein the state ceases to exist, in favor of everyone being subsumed into a hive mind with no independent thought or opinion, but that's mostly a semantic difference at the end of the day.

That said, the Babylon Bee is totally "The Onion, but for the Right", and is 100% a parody news site. That article made me chuckle though, as it's pretty much entirely correct regardless.

14. ScottPress

High Score:
    1,826+3348
  15. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

This doesn't seem like the right thread. What is the relation to the role of the media (print, social, or otherwise) and/or journalism itself? Seems to me this is for another (poster/propaganda) thread.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  16. ScottPress

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    @Oment

Antifa beat up a journalist in Portland. This is was what HuffPo had to say about it: https://web.archive.org/save/https:...-antifa-proud-boys_n_5d1a1275e4b07f6ca5811e0c

Twitter was full of hilarious shit, regressives saying Andy Ngo went there to "antagonize" and "threaten" masked thugs, and people replying "he shouldn't have been wearing this short skirt, he was asking for it" to show their hypocrisy.

There's the media connection.

17. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Then might I suggest leading with it instead of linking a known parody site on the matter? I understand if you won't use the HuffPo - though I am calling probable BS on you reading that article prior to your posting in this thread yesterday based on that same understanding - but there were myriad examples out there for you to actually use.

Provide primary sources to what you're wanting to discuss. Don't hide behind a Schrödinger-esque facade.

18. Johnnyseattle

It's amazing how much hand-wringing and pearl-clutching there is by the closet racists/fascists/cunts every time one of their hate groups goes out to provoke someone into attacking them, and lo and behold, they get attacked. Never mind they're bringing brass knuckles, bear mace, stun batons, and the aforementioned bike locks with them for their peaceful protests. Oh, and that in some places they're stationing snipers beforehand, which the police are strangely aware of yet don't do anything about. Color me disappointed yet strangely unsympathetic.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's stupid that people get baited into things by a bunch of complete mongs like the supremacist groups involved here, and I wish it wouldn't happen at all, but this is the stupid adult version of one kid relentlessly bullying another kid until they fight back, and then the bully goes crying to their teacher saying "he hit me!!"

What, and put down the dog whistle?

DR
  19. ScottPress

High Score:
    1,826+3348
    @Johnnyseattle

In what world is beating up a journalist ok? He brought a camera, not brass knuckles. If you want to justify Antifa, they could at least target their armed chosen enemy instead of a guy with a camera.

20. Johnnyseattle

Quoted for repeat visibility.

In the vast majority of the country, Antifa isn't an organised group, or something with a leader or hierarchy to speak of. To 99% of the country, it's a label, and not much more. I doubt they (or a lot of people that use the term as their bogeyman for everything) even know what the original purpose of it was. In Seattle, there are definitely a lot of people that barely even know what the term is short for, but know that they can get away with a lot just by claiming it as the reason for them being idiots (on both sides of the riot), and Portland is just the shit version of Seattle, so I can't imagine it's any different there. I highly doubt the vast majority of people out there in black, with masks on, have any care at all for politics at all. They just want to throw down - Portland is one of the few places that actually does have a very visible group of idiots calling themselves by the name (Rose City Antifa), and it's probably little coincidence that the right-wing idiot brigade keeps holding "rallies" there, because they know they can get a response and the corresponding news bite about how they're so unjustly pushed back upon.

Yes, it's shit that a journalist can't do their job without fear of getting their head bashed in, no matter what their views might or might not be. Yes, it's shit that some punks are too in love with violence to be able to distinguish between white nationalists and a Vietnamese guy with a camera.

It's also shit that all this stuff keeps happening, and the one thing people never bring up is how the this all starts every time, with a bunch of racist/fascist/anarchist twats having no purpose but to go out and start shit, and then whining about free speech when they get tuned up. And then, when someone brings it up, the predictable happens, and someone says some dumb shit like "If you want to justify Antifa..."