1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Ched, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

For anyone looking for a solid fantasy novel to read, I'd recommend this one if you haven't read it already. It is fairly new, so I am guessing that most have not come across it yet. Here are a few links for those interested.

Author's Homepage

Book Webpage with Summary

Excerpt

This is the first in a series of books, and this book specifically is the author's first novel. The second is scheduled for release on April 7th, 2009. The book was recommended to me by a friend who was rereading it in preparation for the next one.

I was going to write my own summary, but this one from amazon does a better job.

"Kvothe ("pronounced nearly the same as 'Quothe' "), the hero and villain of a thousand tales who's presumed dead, lives as the simple proprietor of the Waystone Inn under an assumed name. Prompted by a biographer called Chronicler who realizes his true identity, Kvothe starts to tell his life story. From his upbringing as an actor in his family's traveling troupe of magicians, jugglers and jesters, the Edema Ruh, to feral child on the streets of the vast port city of Tarbean, then his education at "the University," Kvothe is driven by twin imperatives—his desire to learn the higher magic of naming and his need to discover as much as possible about the Chandrian, the demons of legend who murdered his family."

If anyone else here has read this I'd be curious to know what you thought of it. Cheers.

2. Big D on a Diet

Big D on a Diet Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Not bad. A little limp-wristed with all the angst and "oh noes, I must have my music", but I tore through it fairly quickly.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I can't wait till the next one comes out.

I rather liked it, and I thought that the first book lacked substance. But, seeing how there is another in the line up, I can understand. I want to know more, and I like the method in which the story is told. It keeps me rather into it, instead of those pauses in the dialouge, or the story in most books where I want to skip, but I can't because otherwise I'm going to miss something important.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I thought it was pretty awesome. Of course, Kvothe is the picture they put beside the term Gary Stu in the dictionary, and the alst three chapters I hated most, but its an awesome read.

5. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

This was Rothfuss' debut novel, and it is disgustingly good. If he continues on this level for the planned Kingkiller Trilogy. We will be talking about it as one of the greatest trilogies ever, and Rothfuss as one of the greatest authors ever.

It wasn't my favorite debut novel, though. That one belongs to Scott Lynch who wrote The Lies of Locke Lamora in the Gentleman Bastard Series.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  6. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

Damn good book series, the only downside I can see is the parts not in the past.

7. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

QFT on both counts.

Any idea when the next one's being published ?

8. Philly Homer

Philly Homer What you call elephant cum I call mouthwash

According to Amazon it will be released on April 7 which is the same day that Turn Coat gets released.

9. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Thanks !
    Nice to know I'll be having a good day on April 7.

10. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    I wouldn't count on that, actually. Last I heard Rothfuss was still editing the draft of the second book. That doesn't leave much time for it to go to print, get distributed... blah blah blah.

I'm holding out for April 7, but Amazon has been a let down in the past.

11. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Very good start to a story. The one thing that makes me a little unsure is whether or not the whole thing will be in the past or if the final book will be in the present with the threat confronting the village they are in. Overall an excellent debut novel though.

12. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

It will at least partly be in the past, as he told dude that the story would take 3 days to tell

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yes, my impression was that there were going to be three books total, each one covering one day of Kvothe telling his story to the Chronicler. I enjoyed this style of story telling a great deal, though I could see it getting old if all authors used it.

That said, it does seem to be moving in the direction of having some action happening in the small town he is currently living in. Also the fellow staying in the inn with him, Bast, appears to gently pushing him in the direction of becoming his old self again. Makes me think that at least some of the last book will have to deal with the present, but it is hard to say.

I actually liked the music aspect of the story. It isn't so much that I enjoy reading about music, but I liked that the main character had something that he was already exceptionally good at and didn't need further training/schooling in. It helped that this talent was not related to fighting, magic, being able to kick ass, or having any version of a super power.

I will admit to finding the romance story line rather dull, but that was a small enough part of the novel that it didn't bother me.

14. Sol

Sol High Inquisitor

This is easily my favorite book at the moment. I've read it three times since I bought it a year and a half ago. I really hope it comes out the same day as Turn Coat, that way I only have to buy one copy of Turn Coat and can let my wife read it while I read some more effin' Kvothe.

I loved the music/theater aspect of it, actually. It was one of my favorite parts of the story. Yes, I'm eager for him to get on with the big stuff, but he's still a kid (and he killed his big lizard way more impressively than others, ahem).

His world and culture building is subtle and well done, and is especially notable with Bast and with his foreign friends at school. For a debut novel to be this good is amazing.

The magic (almost a science) is explained well, and if his ideas aren't on the bleeding edge of originality, they're at least executed superbly.

I even enjoyed the romance. Rothfuss has an exceptional way with words and I found myself taken aback at some of his descriptions.

And the opener has to go down as one of the best in fiction.

Yeah, I'm a fanboy. :/

15. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

I really liked this book. My mum actually bought it for me on a whim when she couldn't find the next Anita Blake book that I had asked her to buy for me. It's so much better then all the Anita Blake books put together. lol.

I really got into it and had to wrestle it off my dad when he started reading it.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next book.

16. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Anya; The above is an example of my stabbin anomly at my keyboard. There is 300 times the literary value of Anita Blake in that one blurb of randomness, than i the entire AB series.

THE BIBLEis better than Anita Blake. Lets next time compare it to something readable.

17. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

^ Agreeed.

GAH! Locke Lamora, how I love that book. God--so---awesome.

The Name of the Wind, though; it's like one of those books that, while you're reading the run of the mill fantasy novel, you wish someone would write. And then you pick it up, and it floors you with how--damn---interesting everything is. Like, you'd think going in depth into this magic system could be dry, but it's not!

And I actually really liked how everything has sort of a material value to it, because Kvothe spends so much of his time penniless, that when he manages to scrape together some coins so that he can accomplish his next goal, you're like 'GO little buddy, GO!'. That's what partly made the music stuff so awesome--it turned into a way that he could support himself, and do it really well.

Kinda reminds me of in the Wheel of Time, where Rand pays for his way with his flute playing for a while. That part of the book always stuck with me.

18. The Duke

The Duke Seventh Year

It was a bit slow at times but I really did enjoy the story and am deffinatly looking forward to the sequel. Recomended read!

19. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Thought I would mention that the new publication date for The Wise Man's Fear is March 1, 2011. Rothfuss added this to his blog on April 28th if you want to read it.

http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/

20. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

He's taking to long!

/whine