1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The Quiet Place by Ruskbyte - K

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by The Santi, Aug 17, 2009.

1. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Title: The Quiet Place
    Author: Ruskbyte
    Rating: K
    Genre: Humor
    DLP Category: Humor/ The Alternatives
    Pairing: Harry/Luna
    Chapters: 1
    Words: 18,364
    Published: June 4, 2004 (ff.net)

Summary: Five hundred years after the defeat of Lord Voldemort a new generation of Death Eaters is on the rise. Will the Muggles they attack be able to survive the encounter? For that matter, will the Death Eaters?

Link (ff.net): http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1893607/1/The-Quiet-Place
    Link (FFA): http://ruskbyte.fanficauthors.net/The_Quiet_Place/The_Quiet_Place.php

I read this a long time ago, and I stumbled upon it again tonight. I was surprised that it wasn't already in library or, at least, the recycling bin. Its got a few funny moments, but it's just a solid all around story.

4/5

Checked by Minion, September 1, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  2. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

I remember this one. It was a pretty decent read then and still holds good. But I'm pretty sure its already in the library. I'll check and get back to you.

I'll rate this a 3/5 because while it was well written, as most of Ruskbyte's works are, it was nothing really special. I remember it being something of a chore to read at times which is an accomplishment since its only a One-shot. But it's still good over all.

3. wolf550e

wolf550e High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

The premise is silly and the humor falls flat. Endless description of how awesome the light characters are (everyone has wandles magic but they still run after the DEs instead of paralyzing them on the spot), how stupid the Slytherins are, no mention of how the good guys live for 500 years and don't kill themselves out of boredom, the morality of releasing the DEs to let them breed even more ignorant children who continue to commit crimes (the first DE attack is always on the good guys because of a spell, but what about that child molester in the bunch? A good idea to release him?), the good guys all repeatedly return to the mainstream wizarding society but they don't actually use their influence to eradicate the pureblood agenda, which makes them not so benevolent.

Very childish, reminds me of the well of shadows which I panned when it was posted on GryffindorTower.net, when I was still a canon shipper, seven years ago.

2/5 for mostly correct English.

4. Bittersweet

Bittersweet Groundskeeper

It was obviously meant as a parody. Unfortunately the only humor that comes about is due to the sheer impossibility of the characters and not the dialogues or anything similar.

I would have rated it as a good light read, unfortunately it's a very short story.

The writing was nice and engaging enough for me to finish it. So a 2.5/5 rounded up.

5. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I couldn't finish reading it. While Ruskbyte is normally a good author, the premise was see through right from the beginning - which is a definite no no in a oneshot. Like DarIm said, it was a chore to read at times. I got about halfway through and just walked away. I won't rate it since I didn't get to the end, but I certainly wouldn't put it in the library.

6. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

Meh...I usually really enjoy Ruskbytes fics. This one...not so much. It was well done for what it was, which shows you jut how good Ruskbyte is. Anyone else would have failed by sentence 4. Still Recycling Bin material IMO. 3/5

7. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty boring in my eyes. You can guess the premise from the beginning and the humour was distinctly lacking. The worst part though was the exposition on who everyone was. I ended up skipping half the story because of it and the only place I really smiled was when Tonks was doing her thing with one of the Death Eaters. Voldemert was smirk-worthy too.

2/5 because I honestly don't think it's a good enough story to be in the library, especially for the genre it's supposed to be. Humour is supposed to make you laugh, this didn't.

8. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

Its not bad, its not great. Just fine.

3/5

Humor is there but only for the sheer lolwtf.

9. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

The best one-shot I've ever read was by Ruskbyte; this story is not nearly as great as "Evil Be Thou My Good." "The Quiet Place" is good, possibly even library worthy especially when one considers the times in which it was written.

Because of that, I'll be a bit generous, 4 stars.

10. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

2/5.
    Normally I like his work, but this was just a drag. I kept hoping something would happen, but just never did.