1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Random Topic Thread

Discussion in 'Flash and Spam Games' started by Amerision, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Amerision

Amerision Galactic Sheep Emperor DLP Supporter

A social experiment...

We tried something like this in our English class.

You start with a topic, and just run with it.

Debate, Inform, Joke, Laugh, Whatever.

The fun of this game is watching how the thread evolves over time.

--------------

Rules:

You can't talk about something totally unrelated. If you want to change the topic, change it slowly, add suggestions, relate, etc.

Don't flame.

Keep respectful.

--------------

I'll start with...

Computers.

Do you think we're all being addicted?

Is it replacing human contact?

2. 3rdeye

3rdeye Looked into the void

Not at all. I mean, you can't go to cyber bars, get drunk and smack some guy who thought you were a stripper, like you can in real pubs. Also getting drunk and going to pubs helps you get new freinds. So no, I don't think it is. And getting addicted? No way, or else we'd all be obese. Though most countries have countless obese people.

3. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Well, obesity could also come from greasy fast food and no exercise. Of course, computers probably contribute to the latter, but still, eating unhealthily is a major factor when considering your fatness.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I wouldn't go that far -- it's not really the fast food that makes you fat, it's the not excercising AND eating fast food that makes you fat. Thats why whenever I eat fast food I have either just got done with a sports game/practice.

5. Amerision

Well, our food has gotten pretty shoddy over time.

Most of what we eat has some form of chemical additives to make it last longer.

These things probably have some sort of effect on our health...which maybe accounts for all the weird ass diseases we've been getting lately that weren't around a century or two ago.

6. standard

standard Looked into the void

It does not account for most of the diseases. The lack of diseases can be blamed to improvements in medical science. Speaking of which many people try to become doctors, lawyers, and such but fail. Do you think failing at studies is related to stupidity?

7. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Not necessarily. They may have been unfairly treated, not supported enough, had personal problems, were not adequately prepared, didn't know enough, didn't apply themselves enough, didn't know how to study effectively or were just plain lazy. But, I'm sure there are some that are just plain stupid ;P

8. Amerision

Well, people like to dream they're going to be Doctors and Lawyers, thinking it's a quick and guaranteed way to become rich.

We dream alot these days, I think it's a like a place we can escape the harsh cold realities of life.

People are getting depressed more and more often then ever before.

Is this the results of society's growing pressures on the individual?

9. standard

No.

I believe that to be rich and successful, one must have the right amount of luck, courage, ability, and sheer preservence. Maybe that is why success is so hard to achieve? The people who try their best just don't have the other three qualities necessary to succeed?

10. Amerision

We're becoming a success driven society...of course that's not all bad, but we are taking it to new heights.

I mean, we set up play dates for our kids to get them in the right "group".

Teens are doing 2 sports, an instrument, and private lessons on something or another.

Parents are now like helicopters, hovering over their young adult children.

Did you know more and more employers are facing the applicant's parents as well as the applicant his/herself?

A new trend as appeared in employment offices across the US.

---

"So Mr. Smith, what do you think? Will you work for the Acme Corperation?"

Mr. Smith squirmed a bit in his seat.

"Eh, can I get back to you on that? I'll need to ask my parents for some advice. Until when does this offer stand?"

---

Mothers and Fathers are supporting their children further than ever in history, giving them their old rooms after college, and hunting jobs for them.

11. standard

I believe that parents should not give a damn about their kids. They should let the kids fend for themselves. So if they start crying let them deal with it themselves. But this poses an interesting question. If parents remain uncaring about their children will they turn into uncaring adults? Is that a minus for society as a whole?

12. Amerision

^That's a bit cold...

Homo Sapiens are a species that have evolved to raise their children with care.

These children often grow up to be sociopaths, people who are uncaring of the world and its people.

No, Harry Potter isn't an exception. He, by all means, should have been a psychopath by his sixth year. People don't grow through a life like his and not be affected.

Tom Riddle is the perfect example.

13. World

I don't think a human could simply grow up and become a functioning member of society without any sort of parental guideance. No way.

14. standard

Rowling also mentioned/implied in the sixth book that he had some brain problems.

Do pyscopaths and murderers deserve to live? I thiink they should be executed because prisons holding people with lifeterm sentences are a waste of time, energy, food, and money.

15. World

Wherever was that mentioned?

Seems pretty harsh to me. Not a friend of basic human rights, are you?

16. Amerision

We could go a long way with that argument:

Can anyone be a criminal then?

If a man does crimes simply because he was raised that way, or abused to become that way, can you blame him?

Is it the parent's fault?

17. World

Hmm let's not play the blame game. It's hardly possible who's fault it is. It might be the social circles, the parents, some random event in one's life or a certain attitude towards society.
    Though it certainly would be important to find the most important factors and try to eliminate them.

If you think about punishment, it is also a deterrent, so in that case the blame is not important.

18. Amerision

I wonder if TridentWatch/Cupspeaker/standard had a childhood lacking of attention?

Maybe that's why he hasn't taken his third ban in 40 days as a hint...

19. World

Well, you could look at the numbers of bans dlps have received in #dm. would you say they're not getting it?
    Yes I know it's something quite different, but just saying. tri really seems stupid ^_^

Anyway, parents are a very important influence on the children in their formative years, so it's pretty probable. Especially considering many parents use the things like TV and computer to keep their children occupied.

20. Amerision

TV...

Are we turning our minds numb with this thing?

Tvs bring rapid entertainment...young children with developing brains that are exposed to this grow their brain to be used to rapid changes in attention...ie, new commercial, the show is on, change of channel, etc.

This results in ADD often.