1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Real Epilogue by DrT - R

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dungbomb, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Dungbomb

Dungbomb First Year

Title: The Real Epilogue
    Author: DrT
    Rating: R
    Genre: Drama,Erotica,Romance
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: H/Hr/G/L R/Hr
    Summary: There was much more to 'The Epilogue' than was shown in Book 7.
    Link: http://www.ficwad.com/story/75245

4 chapter story the fills in the 19 years up to the book Epilogue with DrT's usual style. Manip Dumble's, Harry/Many.

2. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Wizards may be ignorant of a whole century worth of psychology, but it's so hard to swallow this. WWll anyone? Milgram's Study? Even if people served a dark lord enthusiastically, they aren't much different than the Nazis. Yuck.

I think I'll withhold my judgment for now... this might be good, I dunno, but I can't read anymore of it after the author expressing this sentiment...

3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

Meh, this is just an exercise in how to recreate the same characters (manipulative!Dumbledore, super!Harry, Ginny & Ron bashing), situations (corrupt Britain) and pairings (H-Hr-Luna) DrT ALWAYS writes, out of the Deathly Hallows setting; not a real story.

4. Drajjen

Drajjen First Year

Although, I don't review very many stories. Just felt like I needed to comment on this one, and Dr.T's work overall.

My problem with this story and Dr.T's work in general is the fact that in almost every fic Hermione is some kind of exibhitionest (think I misspelled that but you get the idea), and while I aggree that the purpose of fanfiction is to make what you will of the characters, Hermione just doesn't seem to be the type to ever go down that road. If anything Hermione comes off as sort of pruddish in my book.

All that being said, Dr. T is a decent writer, the spelling and grammer are usually very good, and to be truthful most of his fics are decend reads, even if Harry is completly controled by Hermione/Luna/Other Witch.

As for this story 3/5

5. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Yes, I have to agree with Drajjen. Granger will always be the prudish one, no matter how people portray her in their own stories (And I totally loathe Granger's personality anyway). As for the rest of the story, its alright, maybe not quite DLP worthy, but almost close. 3.5/5 for me

6. Solomon

Solomon Heir

The best word I can conceive at the moment to describe my feelings for this story is "Meh."

It's well written, sure, but nothing outside the norm. It didn't really catch my interest that much, though it wasn't outright boring. I'm just glad that DrT ended it when he did; if it went on for much longer, the bond thing would have me tearing my hair out in pure annoyance.

Rating: 3/5. Could have been better, could have been worse. Let it sit in the Trash Bin.

On a completely unrelated subject, Drajjen, DLP has a spell-checker, you know. It's perfectly capable of catching any mistakes you find and correcting them. Some words have other words that are too similar to them for the Spell-checker to completely fix (see Conscience and Conscious), but it's a good feature. Use it, abuse it, make it your bitch; that's what it's for, after all.

7. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

"Meh" is definitly a good way to describe this...

2/5

8. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

The average DrT.

The guy needs a reality check. He puts his previous works in a blender, mixes them, then spits them out.

2/5

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  9. Verminard

Verminard Seventh Year

So he's a Hollywood film writer?

10. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Crap. No better than any of the other drivel he's put out lately. Dialogue forced and unrealistic, magical oaths of fealty, magical concubinage and multple wives, super-rich Harry, etc.

Dr.T is like . . . David Eddings. His early stuff makes a good read on a slow day, but after a while, the problems (overuse of cliches, recycled plot elements, etc.) start to outweigh the positive aspects of the story and leave you with a dull, empty feeling of mild disappointment.

Again, I cannot complain enough about his dialogue. He's second only to Kinsfire for me in unrealistic and unappealing dialogue.

Here's an example:

Despite the mild amusement gathered from Hermione using the phrase "anal cherry," who the hell talks like this? What does it add to the story? Why is this even mentioned? Okay, so apparently, when Ron fucked off like a bitch during DH, Harry and Hermione were banging like bunnies, but why the hell do we need details? And it's not even smut!

1/5: I have higher standards than this for Dr.T

11. maidros

maidros Fourth Year

DrT's stories usually give you some interesting material to think about. On the other hand, his cut-and-paste from muggle politics is rather annoying. (Truth and Reconciliation commission - South Africa anyone?) Gods! Don't we have enough politics in RL that we must bring in those empty words into fiction?

Overall 3/5.
    Regards,
    Maidros

12. PsyckoSama

PsyckoSama Groundskeeper

It suffers for lack of lesbians.

13. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wow, what a boring and pointless bit of nonsense. Although I appreciate "The Doctor"'s attempt to improve the epilogue, he has unfortunately performed the same sin as Rowling - writing something silly and illogical because that's how you wanted the story to end. She can get away with that, to some extent, because she did come up with the story in the first place.

But I'm getting a bit tired of DrT's obsession with pairing Harry and Hermione in sexually explicit situations, and describing such business to a ridiculous degree.

I completely agree with most of the comments so far, those being:
    1) The "logical" ranting is not so much logical as just loud.
    2) Just a retread of what he always writes.
    3) Hermione's overly sexualized.
    4) Wince-worthy dialogue.
    5) Clearly not enough lesbians.

Really, reading it just seemed like a waste of time. I didn't vomit in disgust, but I was just mightily bored. Sorry, "Doc".

2/5
    -J

14. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

Meh indeed. Mr. Merriman compared DrT to David Eddings. I think another good comparison is Piers Anthony in that early stuff is very, very good and the later stuff (especially when comparing to PA's recent Xanth series stuff) is repetitive and redundant. PA, though, can be inventive, which is why he gets published.

1/5 -- Redundancy, repetitiveness, and rushed.

15. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

I don't think an infusion of lesbians stirred in Jello would help this fic...