1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Return Of Dragon Ball

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Celestin, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Link.

Money can do anything. Still, it will be interesting to see how old master compare to his successors. And I really hope he will completely ignore disaster called Dragon Ball GT.

2. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's probably gonna be a next-gen thing. Still, I'll be reading it when it's released.

Yes, skipping GT would be best. Hopefully we'll get a more 'badass' lead than somebody like Gohan.

3. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Ahh Dragon Ball. I remember when I was about 8, and me and my friends would watch Dragon Ball Z, bitching about how Cartoon Network wouldn't bring the original series on.

Then of course, by the time they did, we were all too old to actually like it. Or at least to admit to liking it in public.

I will say though, I don't think I've ever seen a show sell so much on so little content. 90% of each episode was two well muscled guys throwing punches at each other, while a crowd looks on gasping.

4. Trig

Trig Unspeakable

90% of each episode consisted of trash talking and loud, manly screaming in order to gather power for the next unique transformation and/or attack.

I loved it.

5. digitalstorm

digitalstorm Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I want a more credible source.

6. Nykyrian

Nykyrian Squib

Ahh the Japanese. They refuse to let DBZ die. That being said I'll still read it

7. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Jesus Christ. :| Why can no one leave this to die already? First GT, then that shitty movie, now this? Sure it was how I got into anime in the first place, and every 9 year old twit who ever seen it that doesn't live in Japan, but isn't there an age limit on this shit?

There damn well should be. After a thousand chapters and 300 episodes, you're done. Get the hell off my shit. :|

And anyone who supports new Dragonball is a fucking necrophiliac. STOP FEELING UP GRANDMA!

8. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

True. They explored almost any possible plot device to make it interesting, the underdog, the uber powered, super hero with secret identity, ultra powerful android, aliens, even cheesy weddings and grand kids.

What's next, Fifth and sixth super sayan form?

9. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    While I'm not as DBZ crazy as I was as a young lad, I wouldn't mind a fresh take on things.

That said, major fights lasting 5-10-15 episodes always irritated the HELL out of me. I can only hope they can trim the fat and make things faster and leaner.

Give me a pile of steaks instead of a sack of shit.

10. Nykyrian

Nykyrian Squib

I understand where you're coming from. It's more of a completion thing for me. I wanna see where Toriyama takes it.

11. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I have to agree that Dragonball doesn't need anything new added to it. If they want to keep putting out Dragonball stuff, they could always give the original Dragonball the same treatment as Dragonball Z is getting with Kai. Cutting out almost all of the filler makes the series much better than the old standard DBZ formula of watching two men scream at each other for twenty minutes while background people natter about their power levels.

12. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah, remember that Golden Fighter arc? People didn't like Gohan as the lead, so it switched back to Goku...

13. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

About the only thing I'd be interested in seeing from Dragonball right now would a re-doing of the entire series for DB and DBZ but cutting out all the filler and bad animation and turning it into a tighter piece.

Major fights last a full episode and possibly part of a second one at most. Actual fighting animation instead of flying around throwing punches too fast to see (lazy) while not moving much otherwise. Plot arcs that take a few episodes instead of a few dozen. Etc. Keep the characters and plotlines just streamline the hell out of it.

New material? Not really that interested if it's just SSDD.

Edit: Gohan is easily my favorite character in the DB franchise.

14. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Vegeta/Cell/Future-Trunks > Crappy DBZ fusion of Goku/Vegeta > Mr. Satan. > everyone else > Gohan. Seriously.

FUUUUUUUUUUUU SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIOOOOOON HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! D:

15. scaryisntit

scaryisntit Death Eater

That's essentially being done at the moment in Japan, as Dragon Ball Kai. It's not quite as brief as you're describing, but it's going to end up a lot shorter. What was episode 157 in the original series (or 142 in the dub) is now episode 77, for example. Much more concise.

16. Ragon

Ragon Dark Lord

Agreed I always liked Gohan the best. I wished he had left Gohan as the lead.

17. One armed boxer

One armed boxer Second Year

Have any of you people actually read the manga? Major fights lasting a million episodes is an anime only thing and isn't as bad as any other shonen series (or maybe its because I rewatched the whole thing on youtube and it didn't seem as bad to me without having to wait between episodes).

I'm sporting a huge hardon right now as new DB is better than no DB and its being written by Toriyama so hopefully no GT faggotry. Here's hoping for some Vegito action somewhere along the line. Also I agree that Gohan wasn't the best protagonist.

edit- Though I did sober up at the thought of this just being a tie in for the game.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  18. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

Fuck this whole series. I'd rather see more Japanese weirdshit - like, I dunno, "Mushi-YaYa & the Tentacle Vagina Tree: the Series" - than another Dragonball saga.

19. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Toriyama is a great story teller and a great illustrator with a pretty unique drawing style that separates him from the rest of the copypasta anime out there, so I'm actually really looking forward to this. Manga's getting one of it's Godfathers back.

20. Rynonis

Rynonis Slug Club Member

Its not that Gohan was a bad lead. They just used the wrong Gohan. He was a whiny bitch who loved books. Not the bad ass who fucked up Cell and Bojack when he was a teenager.