1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Sandman (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by DrSarcasm, Aug 14, 2022.

1. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

An adaptation of Neil Gaiman's 1980s/90s classic, The Sandman.

Trailer:

Surprisingly for a Netflix adaptation, it seems to be pretty good. I'm three episodes in and really liking it so far. It seems to be faithful to the comics (as Neil Gaiman himself is one of the executive producers), from what I can remember.

My one gripe is the casting for Death of the Endless, as the pale and perky (in personality) goth lookwas really iconic for the character and it was something I was looking forward to seeing in live action. She hasn't shown up yet though, so hopefully her performance will make up the difference.

One thing that may put people off if they are unfamiliar with the source material is Morpheus/Dream's voice. He was always portrayed as really grim, creepy, and otherworldly, giving off the vibe that this is very much not a human being. The show is portraying this really well, with a deep and somber voice. That said, it could come across as a person trying to do a "voice"--not nearly as bad as Christian Bale!Batman, but still.

If you read up on the original and see how it is part of the DC universe--it is and it isn't. The original had a tiny bit of crossover and was technically part of the same universe, but in practice it split off and did its own thing. I think it got picked up by Vertigo comics; I'm no expert on the subject. There are a few shared characters--an alternate reality version of John Constantine exists, as does Lucifer Morningstar (similar to the one from the television show of the same name, but with a drastically different personality)--but you aren't likely to see Gotham or the Justice League.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  2. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    She's really, really good.

This show is excellent, by the way. Just finished it last night. 10/10

3. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

Just finished episode 6. Okay, yeah. She gave a great performance. Though a big part of that was how much I love that particular storyline.

4. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

6th episode was easily my favorite. Both the death part as well as, i can't remember the guys name but, basically the dream's friend was also great.

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The ending is rushed and messy and a little melodramatic, but yeah it was enjoyable.

6. DarkAizen

DarkAizen Professor DLP Supporter

From the other thread, after the first 5 episodes.

After watching all episodes, I think the last part was weaker than the second part. Could have easily expanded a little on the first 5 episodes to make a season out of them. And the last 5 episodes about the vortex another season.

Lost opportunity I think.

But looking forward for the gates of Hell to open.