1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Secret World

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Tehan, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

I've sunk 100+ hours into this underappreciated gem and have just finished the main storyline. It's got easily one of the best stories I've ever encountered in a video game, voice acting to match Bioware with actual mocap instead of the same half-dozen gestures repeated over and over, a levelling system that's more TCG than treadmill, and did I mention a fucking incredible story? The first region of the game had Cthulhu mythos going head-to-head with Norse mythology and Native American mysticism with ground zero being the Illuminati-run version of Innsmouth. The second is the Mummy meets Indiana Jones. The third is STALKER meets Underworld by way of Hammer Horror.

If you haven't noticed, I've gone full fanboy. I went into it expecting something to help tide me over in the long wait for that CCP-developed VtM MMO, and found something actually fantastic.

There's a three-day trial, so give it a shot if you haven't already. I'm Koliada on the Daemon shard, but you can jump shards pretty much at will so don't sweat where you begin.

2. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well it looks interesting, but I can't stand subscription fees on principle. And I couldn't afford the fee anyway at the moment. I'll wait and see if it goes free-to-play.

Also, I don't think the free trial you mentioned is going on any longer. But maybe I just couldn't figure out how to get into it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  3. Tehan

From a bit of Googling it seems like it's over, my mistake.

4. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Glad to hear it's good. Was looking at this awhile ago. No free time to play an MMO, shit I bought Rift Collectors Edition, and I've never installed it, or played the game again past beta, no matter how much I want to.

5. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

I've played a few of the beta weekends with Paimon and I thought it was awesome, especially the story line and the music, but well... I really can't justify buying a subscription based game considering how little time I have to play what I already own.

6. Red Aviary

High Score:
    I checked again and it looks like there's now a trial available. I'm downloading the setup.exe now, we'll see how it goes.

7. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

The beta was so ungodly boring I couldn't stand it.

Cool setting, cool missions, but the gameplay was really awful. Even the highest tier abilities didn't seem to add much to it.

It was a cool design but implemented very badly.

8. Red Aviary

High Score:
    I only got to play for a few hours before my desktop started developing some problems. I won't be able to replace the problem component for another few days, and my trial's already run out.

I'll have to use another e-mail and try again once everything's sorted out. I liked what little I saw though. I went with the Templars, but only just started to kill zombies for that one guy in the woods. Went with dual pistols for a weapon.

I'm not experienced with MMOs at all, I should note. I played some Runescape back in like, 2005, and more recently some of DC Universe Online, which is quite a bit different. I don't know how it compares to anything else out there.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  9. Mishie

Mishie Fat Dog

So uh, they've completely changed the payment for this game, instead of having the subscription based system that I loathe in all things, they've instead made it so that you can buy the game for $30, but if you want to get future content then you'll need to buy it. As such, there's a very good chance that I'll be grabbing this for christmas, and hopely I'll see a few DLPers on as well.

10. Legacy

Legacy Death Eater DLP Supporter

You will probably find me playing it at some point. The subscription model put me off after I finished up the beta but for 30 bucks I would definitely recommend it.

11. Tehan

It's currently 25% off for a total of $22.50. Don't know if it's going to get a daily deal at some point, but it's definitely worth it now.

12. Legacy

Standard rules for steam sales, if its not 60-75% off or on a flash sale then you should wait till the last days for the inevitable repeats.

I'm willing to wait, otherwise its still one of the only games I'm picking up this christmas, everything else is going into the new computer.

13. Red Aviary

High Score:
    The problem is that you're apparently locked out of content if you get it after the 31st, and I think the sale won't be ending until after that. If the price doesn't go down more before the end of the month I'll just pick it up for its current price.

14. Legacy

Fair enough, didn't know about that.

15. Red Aviary

High Score:
    I bought it a few days ago when it became clear Steam wasn't going to put it up for sale before the extra content deadline. I'm liking it. Went with Templars, and using assault rifles with elemental magic is both fun and seems to be effective enough so far. My main character's nickname is Aviary and I'm on the Cerberus server, though I'm not far in at all yet, I'm inexperienced with MMOs in general and I'm not a great team player in the first place.

I say if you're interested you should get it now, before this extra content offer ends.

16. Tehan

AR is pretty great, Safety Off is the best builder in the game bar none and leech makes for good 'survival' (solo PvE) builds. I adore elemental but since the Aidelon nerf it's fairly underpowered, everything it does something else does faster.

But that only matters with theorycrafting and endgame dungeons, grab whatever skillset makes you happy. You gain an SP every 120k and an AP every 40k and XP rates just keep going up until you reach upwards of 500k for missions in the last zone, to say nothing of the post-endgame lairs and raids.

Pity you went Templar though, Illuminati is where it's at. Kristen Geary is the best.

17. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Yeah, well, I decided to try them out with a quickly put together fodder character. They drugged me and put some kind of killswitch in my spine. No thanks.

Reading around a bit, it does look like the faction population is a bit skewed towards the Templars. Maybe that's because the other two are kind of scummy in comparison. Also the area of NYC you go to is kind of boring. So is Seoul. Why is it only London has all those vendors and the bank? And hell, even London isn't that big. I was hoping for more on that front.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  18. Tehan

Yeah, sure, the Templars are the good guys. They only hurt bad people. They must be bad because they're trying to disrupt order. You know, the order that is defined as the pre-existing societies of the human world. The societies that the Templar admit they pull the strings of the governments of. Whoops.

The only reason they aren't crushing the world in their iron fist is the last time they tried that, the Illuminati whispered in the ears of King Philip IV and Pope Clement V, and the Templar grandmaster burned.

The Templar fight an eternal and unwinnable war against the forces of Hell. The Illuminati just sit in on the shareholder meetings and vote against domination of the material world. The Templar would seal the Ark of the Covenant away in a warehouse for eternity. The Illuminati would have that sucker reverse-engineered and weaponized within the week. The Templar have the world's biggest library, that only they can access. The Illuminati invented the internet.

The Templar have stared too long into the Abyss. Ideals crumble, tradition falters, and fighting in the name of abstract principles is all well and good when you're sitting by the fire with a tumbler of brandy, but it's hard to keep sight of when you're halfway down the gullet of Cthulhu's ugly cousin. The Illuminati fight for the conviction so bone-deep in humanity that every child capable of rational thought knows it - mine, not yours.

19. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Yeah, well, red looks better on my character than blue. So there.

At least the Dragon gives out blowjobs.

20. Evan Tide

Evan Tide Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

So who's actually playing and can we all get together to kick ass or what?

---------- Post automerged at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

Started playing on Cerberus as Illuminati. Already encountered first bug. Game CtDs when looking at fist skills. Trying to figure out what stupidity is involved to make it happen right now.