1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Semi-Open Newbie Game Of Awesome

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by MathBlade, Mar 22, 2015.

1. MathBlade

MathBlade First Year

Good week scummers! Welcome to MathBlade's Semi-Open Newbie Game of Awesome. Experts are welcomed, but preferential treatment will be given to new players if more than 18 people sign up.

(Special thanks to Fonti who helped review the mechanics portion of the game.)
    MathBlade's newbie friendly introduction to Mafia:
    The main idea is this:
    There is town who wants to eliminate all of the "scum".
    There are scum players who want to eliminate the town and any other scum faction. Scum players talk with each other during the Night phase. Depending on setup they may talk during the Day, but since this is a newbie game there will only be Night Chat.

Your alignment is randomly assigned as well as your role.
    People must discover your alignment/role in thread so please do not discuss/PM other players about your role outside of the game.
    This is done in three phases: Day, Twilight, and Night.

Day
    During the Day everyone discusses and votes on who they think is scum and vote to lynch them. If a player is lynched they are removed from the game. Lynching occurs 1/2 the number of players (rounded down) plus one. (E.G. 7 players left requires 4 players to lynch, 18 requires 10.) Reaching that point immediately ends the day and moves to Twilight.

Twilight
    This phase starts immediately after someone is voted to be lynched based upon the majority above. At that point no votes can be changed. It is just a continued discussion. The lynched player may continue to discuss if they like until the flip. Twilight will happen until I actually get around to posting said lynch is majority. This may vary depending upon when I am online. Once your "death" is posted, you may not continue to post in the thread or any scum QTs(if applicable) areas. You will be offered a thread to discuss observations with the mod or any other people in obs.

Night
    This phase starts immediately after Twilight. It will last for as close to but not less than 48 hours from Twilight end. During this phase a few things can happen.

1) Scum talk to each other freely in private chat areas known as QuickTopics.
    2) Scum may submit a "night kill" they wish to do.
    3) If any scum faction is down to 1 player, they may kill AND use any "powers" they have.
    4) Should a town role have "powers", they may submit them in their quick topic.

At the end of Night, it transitions into Day where the cycle continues until one of two scenarios:

A single scum faction has majority of players alive or nothing can stop this from happening.
    Town has eliminated all scum.
    The first scenario is a "scum" win. The second scenario is a "town" win. You do not have to be alive for your faction to live.

Rules (with standard formatting borrowed lovingly and changed slightly from Terraine/Sloth):
    Day Length: 7 days (Day 1: 14 days)
    Night Length: 48 hours

Decorum

1.No Out Of Game communication about this game is allowed.
    2.At least some attempt at readable grammar. There is no LoLcat flavor or role in this, so please do not type like one.
    3.Lying about RL commitments is expressly forbidden. Similarly, questioning someone about their RL is forbidden. If you have a RL problem, please also inform the mods in your QT.
    4.Please, try to keep posts civil. We’re not going to make you hold hands and force you to sing kumbaya, but keep personal attacks off the table and focus on the gameplay.
    5.Keep the See You Next Tuesday language out of this game. Please and Thanks.
    6.If we see a post in question, we will PM the player(s) at hand. If you have a problem with a post, bring it up in your QT or PM us.
    7.No direct quoting/screenshotting of a role PM is allowed. You may paraphrase if you like.
    8.Please play regardless of alignment received and pick up your role PM. If you need to go on VLA please let me know. I will do my best to poke after 48 hours without a post. If you don't respond within 24 then I may look for a replacement if not on VLA. If no replacement can be found in 24 hours, then I reserve the right to modkill the slot.
    8.All mod decisions are final unless otherwise specified.

Gameplay

1.Days will be 7 days long, with the exception of Day 1, which will be 14 days. Day will be cut short if vote majority is reached.
    2.Nights will be 48 hours.
    3.There will be Twilight for as long as it takes for me or a co-mod to post the flip. Twilight is only as long as until flip.
    4.Deadlines may be extended at mods’ discretion. But, if you don't get an Action in by the end of a phase, the deadline will not be extended for you. The only reason I anticipate is either mod unavailable at potential lynch time OR a major holiday. I generally will not extend a deadline because 1 player is on V/LA.
    5.Posting after the Day/Night deadline but before the Lynch/Kill is resolved is not allowed. Violators will receive punishment (or not) at the mods' discretion.
    6.Day/Night actions have a set order which is both public and reasonable to the mods.
    7.Dead players may post until the mods have flipped them, or there’s an announcement to halt posting. After they’ve flipped, they can no longer post.
    8.Posts cannot be edited.
    9.You may not quote directly from the mods or QTs unless explicitly told so.
    10.Mod questions can be posted in-thread or privately, and will be responded to through the same medium. Please bold and color questions on a separate line.
    11.Lying about anything but RL is expressly allowed. Go Nuts. Hell, maybe we’re lying now by telling you this. Dun dun dun.
    12.While there is limited/no flavor, please do not try to dissect it. I'm not going to try to put things in there that are hints for any faction.
    13.Please cast your vote on a separate line bold and colored, in the regular “VOTE [PLAYER]” format.
    I will attempt my best to find votes and go off "intent" since this is a newbie game. However any vote missed by not going through this pattern, may need to be resubmitted. I am human so please be gentle if I miss your vote.
    14.Lynches occur on vote majority, and if one is not reached by the end of the Day, it will result in a No Lynch.
    15.The Town win when all threats to town have been eliminated, and at least one town player is alive.
    16.The Scum win when all opponents have been eliminated from any other faction, or nothing can prevent this.
    17.If everyone is dead at the end of any phase, however unlikely, the game is a draw.

Setup
    This setup has 5 scum. 3 are guaranteed mafia goons. Two are determined by using the charts below and rolling twice. That will also generate any town "powers" in the game.

I will look at the chart (http://wiki.mafiascum.net/index.php?title=Matrix6).
    I will randomly roll a row OR a column twice. That will determine any mafia or town powers. The scum faction will have any 'powerless' (also known as vanilla) goons added as necessary until the scum faction reaches 5.
    For any town powers, listed in that row/column combination then town will have that role.

The rest of town will then be filled with Vanilla Townies as needed.

For example, if I randomly rolled row 2 for the chart, then mafia would have a role blocker and town would have a cop and a doctor.
    Then for the other roll I randomly rolled column B, then the other mafia faction would have all goons and another cop would be in the game.
    The rest of the roles would be vanilla until the sides are filled.
    The semi open part about this is I will NOT tell or confirm which setup I roll in this chart for each faction.

<THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THIS EXAMPLE IS OR IS NOT IN THE GAME.>

Order of Operations
    1. Mafia roleblocker.
    2. Town jailkeeper.
    2. Any mafia kill actions.
    3. Any other town actions.

You will receive feedback if roleblocked or jailkept. Jailkept feedback is the same as roleblocked feedback. You will not receive feedback if your slot is "healed" or "tracked" or "investigated".
    1 shot bulletproof townies cannot have their ability roleblocked as it is an inherent property of themselves, only actions submitted to the mod can be roleblocked. If 1 shot bulletproof townie is jailkept and targeted to be killed, they will retain their bulletproof if they still have it.
    All other roles can be blocked. If you attempt to roleblock anyone, you will receive confirmation of your submission but not if it had stopped anything.
    Should a player survive a kill, they will not be publically announced as being attacked. Their method of saving will also not be announced.

All roles given will act as per MafiaScum wiki guidelines.

Potential Role PMs can be looked at from the setup thread: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=28482

Dark Lord Potter Quoting is having opportunities so if it fixes itself I will add those role PMs here.

Players

1. Titus
    2. Fontisian
    3. Citrus
    4. his fluffiness
    5. Snowvon
    6. The Waco Kid
    7. Atum
    8. Sloth
    9. Terraine
    10. Plotless
    11. Jpzh2d
    12. Xanidel
    13. Pinky
    14. Rubicon
    15. Lucky Lee

Obs
    1.Riley
    2.Custer

Replacement List
    None

FAQ

Doctors save the person that scum attempt to kill if they guess who scum attempted to kill.

ROLE PMs HAVE BEEN SENT. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or post in your QT. I would like to start Sunday if possible but Monday if you have not responded to the role PM I will try to find a replacement if I can but if not it may result in a delayed start or mod kill.

Confirm your role by posting in your QT or PMing me.

The game will start when 13/15 have confirmed or at this deadline whichever comes first.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdow...17&fg1=9acd79&msg=SONG+Day+1+Open&csz=1&swk=1

Thanks!

---------- Post automerged 03-22-2015 at 13:23 ---------- Previous post was 03-21-2015 at 23:32 ----------

With the whole board shenanigans I'm going to try to give a little bit more time for people to confirm their roles if needed til Mid Tuesday. I'll update the timer a bit later on. We have at least a majority confirmed but not enough to start yet. :)

---------- Post automerged at 15:43 ---------- Previous post was at 13:23 ----------

The threshold has been met for confirms :D The day is now open.

It will end at http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/to?iso=20150405T16&p0=217&msg=SONG+Day+1+END&csz=1&swk=1 .

Anyone not confirmed by Tuesday midday I will attempt to find a replacement for. You may begin!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2015
  2. Plotless

Plotless High Inquisitor

So, how is everyone? Not gonna open with a vote because I have no idea how people operate.

3. TerRaine

TerRaine Squib

I'm good person I've never met named Plotless.

I have no idea who some of your are. ^-^

So starting question for new people is can you summarize your mafia experience on DLP or elsewhere?

4. Titus

Titus Squib

We are in RVS. We random vote players (not the mod) until someone finds something scummy.

[color]Vote:Sloth[/color]

No laziness allowed.

Put each vote on a new line. Place all votes in bold. Color helps as well.

---------- Post automerged at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 PM ----------

So does correct coding.

Vote: Sloth

5. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Vote: The Waco Kid

6. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

What laziness are you talking about, Titus?

Vote: Titus

In other news, I totally rolled Cop, but I'm just gonna go ahead and fakeclaim Bulletproof so the scumteam won't shoot me.

7. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Hello.

vote: Titus

8. Xanidel

Xanidel Squib

As a new person, I'm *really* new. Never played mafia on this or any forum, though while I've been lurking I have watched a couple of the games here on DLP.

Whelp, two votes is enough for me. Here's hoping we don't get stalled out, that usually ends badly.

Vote:Titus

9. Titus

Titus Squib

Sloth, as a deadly sin, means laziness. It was a joke.

It's like saying not Tight asses allowed and voting me

10. TerRaine

TerRaine Squib

Cool which games?

stalled out?

11. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Vote: Titus

12. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

Vote: Snowvon

Your new avatar won't fool me...!!

13. TerRaine

TerRaine Squib

In case its not clear I'm asking because it seems to me your suggesting this is a serious vote and not RVS and that its a serious vote because other people are voting...not for any actual reason.

Just so its clear day 1 is 14 days....there shouldn't be any worry of stalling at this point. We need to use the time we have.

14. Xanidel

Xanidel Squib

Mostly the ones based on HP variants, can't recall offhand. Enough that I feel confident enough to come out of permalurk to join this one, in any case.

Well, statistically speaking, the risk of accidentally lynching another town vs doing nothing is almost always worth it, considering that during the night the mafia has much higher odds of taking out one of us successfully. The end result is that doing nothing during the day means a guaranteed eventual win for the mob, whereas lynching provides at least a chance of town victory. Therefore the key is to always lynch, but do so intelligently whenever possible.

15. TerRaine

TerRaine Squib

......boooooo people who ninja me...Booo

16. Xanidel

Xanidel Squib

...and apparently I've still got some research to do, as I don't know what RVS means off hand. To Google!

17. TerRaine

TerRaine Squib

ehhhh......I'd agree if we were a few hours out from deadline. We're 334 hours from deadline.

18. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

Oh, duh. My bad.

Citrus, how many votes before you say actual words?

---------- Post automerged at 20:27 ---------- Previous post was at 20:26 ----------

Who says I'm trying to fool anyone?

19. TerRaine

TerRaine Squib

RVS - Random Voting Stage.

....I'm explaining acronyms! HAH I'm no longer new!

[​IMG]

20. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

So why Titus?