1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Strangergod by Andromalius - M

Discussion in 'General Fics' started by Andro, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Title: The Strangergod
    Author: Andromalius
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Mystery
    DLP Category: General
    Pairing: None
    Chapters: 4
    Words: 10,615
    Updated: July 10, 2011
    Published: December 7, 2008

Summary: He was revelations of darkness, hidden behind a forgiving smile. Freed from the desolation of Azkaban and reinstated as Head Auror, Harry Potter engineers a dark resurgence in secret.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4701341/1/The_Strangergod

I know I'm a couple of years behind when Azkaban fics were popular, but thought I might try my hand at one. Hopefully it is as non-formulaic as I hope it is.

If the writing style in the prologue seemed too introspective, it is entirely gone by the beginning of the first chapter.

Checked by Minion, June 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
  2. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

You suck Andro. You just suck. At everything.

*cough*

No, not really. It's great so far, if a little short. I'm putting it on alerts, and I'll rate it when it's got a bit more material.

Best Azkaban fic I've read in ages. In my opinion of course.

3. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Listen, anyone who correctly uses the word sluiced gets a thumbs up in my book. A very decent start. If you're just looking for a rating, and not a real review, then I can do that. It's short, but not bad.

3.5/5 (inching toward 4).
    -J

4. Andro

Oho? Have you recently self-inserted yourself into a story that you didn't write? :awesome The mechanics of it confuses me too...

Yeah, the plan is to compensate for the brevity of the chapters with speedy updates. I literally wrote the first chapter 12 hours after finishing the prologue. The chapters will be longer though, hopefully without compromising the update speed.

I don't remember learning the definition of sluice. :/ Thanks for the rating. You're right, what I want most at the moment is a meter to judge the quality.

Edit:
    Oh what the fuck.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sluice[2]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  5. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I'm officially your number-one fangirl.

6. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

I am not really much of a fan of Azkaban fics, time travel, cross dimension, and comedy are more my thing, combine all three and its even better.

Perhaps a bit more chapters are needed until I can make another decision, not much has happened yet.

I am leaning towards a pass into the library right now becuase I have seen a lot worse enter the library.

7. Andro

Unfortunately, I beat you to it: I'm my own number-zero fangirl. Which brings up a question: If the smaller the number the greater a fan you are, if you are a fangirl with a negative number, are you a greater fan than someone with a positive number? :confused:

Or is it done by absolute values?

Me neither! :cool: I seriously read only I think only three Azkaban fics - the ones by Lord Silveris, Rorschach, and Padfootjr.

Thanks for yours guys' inputs.

8. Vengashii

Vengashii Banned

If you discontinue this one too, I swear to god, I will cut you.

9. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

It's an absolute value thing, and I'm in agreement with Vengashii, only I'll carve instead of cut. I had high hopes for The Serpent of Haradrim and you had to go and put it on hiatus, which means that it'll never get finished.

10. Andro

If this ends up discontinued, I will have mysteriously stopped posting because I will have killed myself in shame. I dont think it will happen, as for some reason this plot I outlined seems writable. A really strange way to put it, but it has something Serpent of the Haradrim lacked inherently.

Here is where I dampen your enthusiasm, to ensure my well-being: there will be a Horcrux hunt. I hinted to it in the first chapter, with the worst case scenario being Harry had sent his agents to retrieve his Horcruxes.

Next chapter will feature that agent.

Edit: Partially. It is Harry-centric above all.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  11. merchantofam

merchantofam Fifth Year DLP Supporter

This story is quite good, though the only complaint I have is that the chapters are tad short. The mundane details that you give actually take more space than the actual plot, but that is to be expected if you're attempting to build up to a explosive climax. The grammar is well handled, but there were a few instances of repetitions such as "populace to to climbing a hill" (chp.2). The writing so far seems to flow, but from what little has been revealed so far the plot seems unbearably slow.

However if you're looking for just a material value for your story, then I would rate it 3/5, only because very little has been revealed.

12. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

I seem to remember hearing you say something about sticking with "To define Treachery"....Hmm I must be mistaken.

Doesn't matter though. A good, if a bit short, start.

13. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Hmmm...Dementor's don't have eyes and I'm sure Harry knew that...but this seems solidly AU so the point is moot. Also, I felt more than a little put-out by the magic-suppression wards...it doesn't feel like magic at all but more like the chakra/mana-thingy from Naruto and video games. But I'm sure this issue has been argued to the death so no point in bringing it up again.

All in all, it is intriguing. I have it on alert, hopefully this will see regular activity unlike Assassin's Creed :) (Haven't read Serpent of the Haradrim, I always passed it by for some reason, no affront to your writing of course). Is Assassin's Creed still in the works btw, or is it on hiatus like SotH?

Edit: I was hooked by the panopticon idea. Where did you come across it? I found a pretty good article on Wiki-the-universal-band aid of course.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  14. Andro

Fuck, I hate Naruto. The wards is there to show two instances of cleverness between Harry and Maazel, which will come up in a few chapters from now. Shallow of me, but it will be awesome.

The panopticon? You mean the actual concept? A friend built a model of one. Davidson Fellow. In terms of the story, I wanted to have Harry know he was being watched, but the panopticon is a much more elegant solution than having some crazy supernatural shit.

Thanks for your comments. Merchant, I will be plowing through the plot from shortly. Just wanted to indulge in a little scene-setting, is all.

Excalite, you can watch me make shifty eyes.

Anyway, two out of three finals dealt with. One more tomorrow, and then it's free sailing for the next chapter.

Edit: The model also led someone else to graphically represent it, using Eclipse.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  15. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I already reviewed, and expressed my outrage at the cliffhanger. I like this story; it has a believable premise and sports an original plot. 5/5 (I feel like I should wait to rate it, but this is too awesome and I expect that you will keep up the excellence.)

P.S. STOP CHANGING YOUR FUCKING FF.NET USERNAME EVERY HOUR!!! I had no idea who you were until coming here. Of course, now that I've said this, you're going to keep doing this. Ah well, I am resigned to the fate of being eternally confused by Andromalius.

16. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

Just posting here what I said on FF. Though, I am waiting to rate it till you get a few more chapters out. It will be a toughy, is this a 4/5 or a 5/5 ;)

I'd like to read more soon.

Yeah, I agree, the genre is beaten to death, but since I never read much in it when it was popular I am still fresh to it.

That said, I really liked your style. The first chapter was excellent in setting the mood. Azkaban settings typically invite exaggerated macabre-ness, and though you had a bit of that it was not so over the top to be 'same old same old.' I really enjoyed it.

Don't know really what is up with Harry yet, why he joined VM, etc. But so far I really like your storytelling. Especially the magic suppressor chamber was inspired.

17. Marsupial

Marsupial Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Picture a circular building, a circle encompassing five hundred yards in radius. Hollowed out, so that only the rim remains. That rim was divided into nine levels of cells...

Did they perchance have Dante design their prison for them? Nice description though; I'm mightily sick of Azkaban being some dank, dreary clone of Hogwarts, and this is a very welcome alternative vision.

18. Andro

Thanks Nuhuh, hopefully I will sway the vote more towards the 5/5. :) I have 662 words of chapter 2 written, and it should be completed quickly.

Anubis, the panopticon concept was a metaphor waiting to happen. I dislike the Hogwarts clones too. I would prefer even the triangular tower portrayed in the PoA movie.

To be fair silverlasso, I stopped changing the titles of my stories, and either post new ones in Work By Author or here. That's an improvement, yes? Thanks for the compliments.

The last final (final final?) is in 3 hours, btw.

I have an open question. Some of the FFnet reviewers have, pretty much rightfully, criticized me of focusing on style over substance. Is substance equivalent to plot? My reasoning is that I kept the writing style and things happen, there will be both style and substance.

19. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Azkaban

That's pretty awesome.

20. Andro

Dementors can fly? -_-

0:10 was hot though.