1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned The Time of the Turning by DracoNunquamDormiens - M

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Fuegodefuerza, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Title: The Time of the Turning
    Author: DracoNunquamDormiens
    Rating: M
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Angst
    Pairing: None...ever.
    Chapters: 21
    Words: 231,718
    Updated: February 21, 2010
    Published: October 26, 2005

Summary: Harry returns to Privet Drive, Sirius' death heavily on his heart, the Prophecy heavy on his shoulders, and a seemingly endless void in his soul. Nobody said growing up would be easy, and the BoyWhoJustWon'tDie is no exception to this rule.6th year AU.Rat
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2634465/1/
    Suggested DLP Category: Independent or General, but most likely Independent

This story is comparable to Rob's, in that it is canon-friendly, beautifully written, and realistic to a fault. There is no "Harry snapped and knifed his aunt in the ovaries!" nor are there any sudden changes of character. This is a story written about Harry's maturation, through life-threatening experiences and simple observation.

Because of that, there will be people on this site who will dislike this story because of its canon-friendly characters. As a consolation, though, there is very little mention of Ron, Hermione or Ginny, and Mrs. Weasley only makes an apppearance halfway through the story. This author has constructed many OCs, one of whom is my favorite villian of all time (Rasmus) and the other is has all that I wish Harry could have, except for his confidence. The incredible thing is, she has kept from creating any Mary-Sues! All characters are realistic, believable and entertaining.

She writes good action scenes, and manages to implement enough new twists to keep me on the edge of my seat as well as giving Harry some down time in between action to rest. The only fault with this story is that Harry always seems to be injured, which is only bad because the story is 170,000 words long and has only covered a few weeks, it seems.

Bottom line, this story is a winner. One of the best I've ever read. 5/5 for me, and an instant place in the library.

Checked by Minion, March 29, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013
  2. Sanctimonius

Sanctimonius Guest

you haven't failed me yet ip82, so i'll take a swing at it.

3. Stalicon

Stalicon High Inquisitor

Heh, thats not Ip Sanctimonius...

Thanks Fuegodefuerza for putting this up, I almost did awhile ago. This story is amazing. Has it updated?

5/5

4. doc_gerbil

doc_gerbil Sixth Year

souuunds to ME like a teenage angst fest without smoosh gooshy romance. ill shy away from this one until i get a review to the contrary. and the author has draco in his/her name. definitely a turn off.

5. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    The name Draco in the name isn't a big deal look at draco664, Draco gets his hand blown off then dies in that story.

I've read the first couple of chapters but it's a long story, the writing is great but I just can't seem to get into it. 4/5 anyway.

6. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

I read this story before, it bored me to death. 3.5/5.

7. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The authors name is a latin phrase, Never tickle a sleeping dragon is what it translates to. I've got oh... 16 hours to kill so I guess I'll start reading. I'll also edit with my thoughts.

8. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

Well...

Well...

Well, this fic wasn't too bad, but it got boring halfway through. All sorts of trippy flashback scenes that I couldn't follow / didn't think made much sense. IMO, Harry and Dudley getting on reasonably well = kinda cliché. I've seen too much of that while fic scanning.
    It kinda gets silly after a while, and sometimes even retarded, as despite all the things he's done over the years, he hugs Harry and everything is hunky-dory after that. Somebody needs to give off a required "Awwww..." , before I forget. The same thing goes for Harry and Molly interaction. "Eat, eat, eat," is all she ever says in some fics, directly copied from Garfield comics. It always looks like she's trying to replace Lily, taking advantage that she was never able to be there for Harry (unless you're reading one of Vash's fics... heh heh) during his rough days with her sister.

My aunt sometimes does this, and it's very annoying. Harry could have / would have done himself a favour by telling her off a little, if not distancing himself a bit. Just because you're my best friend's mum does not mean you're my mum, thank you very much. Perhaps this is why J. K. R. named her Molly... her chosen profession of molly-coddling...?

The little Language Arts teacher inside my head has very few complaints; good spelling and grammar and whatnot. So all in all, thou art blessed with my rating of:

3.25 / 5

Oh, and "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus" can be found on the title page of any good HP book, or perhaps the fireplace ashes when you burnt "The Horrible Baked Potato".

On the baked potato bit, it's very difficult to be inventive at three-thirty in the morning, thank you very much.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  9. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Meh. I remember this fic. Definitely a good author, and some good action sequences (I'm remembering Harry on the run from Death Eaters throughout Privet Drive), but the story was so incredibly eye-gouging-ly slow going. There was more time spent on the millions of original characters and their back stories that I couldn't even bring myself to care about. I could tell it was good writing, it just wasn't interesting to me.

It was supposedly Harry growing up but it was just him getting angrier at the Order and meeker and following orders, and bleh. I was on an Indy!Harry kick when I read this and this sort of Harry just made me want Voldemort to win. I probably left a caustic review though I was kind enough to compare the fic to Wishweaver's and the-dreamer's. You'd think that'd be more of a compliment, but after hundreds of thousands of words, far more depth than I could ever care about and basically we were still early in summer of what looks to be a fic that will never be finished. I think a few months later, the author pulled the fic from ff.net in protest saying she'd never post there again. Not sure if it was song lyrics or why. But a half year or so later, and it's back being posted on ff.net again and I'm not so sure her audience has come back to her.

I remember enough of it, to know I'm not going to read it again until it's actually finished.

Written very well with a number of in-depth human original characters. (Fans of angst may love).
    But that's not nearly enough for me.

3/5

And the author's name is from the Hogwarts motto people! Why must everything be about the Malfoys? Tsk tsk.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Totally off topic but lol. That's the funniest thing I've read all day.

I'ma have a crack at this later, maybe. I dislike the use of heaps of OC's.

11. doc_gerbil

doc_gerbil Sixth Year

i stand corrected. i forgot both that draco664 owns and that draco means dragon in latin. or something. woops.

12. eXcalite

eXcalite Seventh Year

I for one love this story. Although I have to read it all again to refresh my memory.

It has been updated btw..