1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Why some lefties aren't as worried about Russian Collusion

Well, to be entirely fair, our elections probably weren't directly affected by Russian Collusion. Is the Trump administration's clear ties to Russian oligarchs worrying? Yeah. Did it decide the election? No. Crosscheck, funded the Kochs, had a much more quantifiable effect. IIRC they purged 10% of the registered voters in Illinois. I know they had ops in Wisconsin, Iowa, and other swing states too. Florida has a system to purge black "felons" from their rolls because they're likely democratic voters. For non-US residents, African Americans are extremely predictable as a voting demographic, something like 80% usually vote Democratic, which makes them convenient targets for election fraud, since they also don't have much power or money to fight against in the courts.

On top of that, Clinton ran the worst presidential campaign in recent memory- worse than Kerry's, I'd argue. If you want to really dig into how peoples' votes are stolen, look up Greg Palast and his documentary "The Best Democracy Money Can Buy." Our elections aren't free and/or fair. They're totally rigged, and they have been pretty much since the inception of our country. Crying about Russian interference rings hollow to a lot the lefties because they're aware of how corrupt our political system is.

(Don't worry my right-wing dudes/dudettes, Democrats are just as corrupt and use the exact same tactics as the Republicans to maintain a stranglehold on what power they've got left, to service many of the same donors. To quote Carlin, "It's a big club, and you ain't in it.")

That said, Trump's Russian connections are a legitimate concern- just like Clinton's Saudi connections. However, she's not president. The main concern with the Trump-Russia connection for most lefties is what it signals in terms of potential crackdowns on Freedom of speech, and other authoritarian leanings.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Yeah. Damn those Republicans for demonizing the other side and calling them monstrous monsters. Polarization really is the root of all evil, hysteria then? Literally worse than Hitler.

/Rolls eyes. GOP doesn't look much different from the 80s. In contrast Blue Dog Democrats and Dixiecrats all died and the Dems are restricted to the coasts. You can either believe that everyone but the coasts became ultra-conservatives... Or Dems and the coasts turned very very liberal.

Compare Clinton and Sanders platform. Or Sanders and Kerry. Even Hillary's platform was much more to the left. Meanwhile Trump internal affairs measures aren't far from what Bush Jr. or Reagan's ones.

3. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Auror DLP Supporter

I think this baffles me more than most things - how the hell can there be this complete xenophobia against all things Islam and Middle East by so much of the country over several administrations running, yet there's always this blind spot for the biggest piece of shit of the region? The current administration works its hardest to ban six countries from entering the USA for dubious-at-best reasons, then makes a $100B+ arms offer to arguably the largest funder of terrorism and spreader of radical ideology on the planet? GTFO.

This isn't just a current problem either - it's not like the previous did anything different - $100B+ over the last eight years to them too. Aside of handwaving it away with the usual "because oil", I just don't get it.

4. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Order Member

Man the Donald Trump Jr. shit might have legs.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/07/...smid=tw-share&referer=https://t.co/1WWLrSerOD

I smell pardons incoming, because if collusion is indeed a crime and it really doesn't matter if that Russian lawyer even gave anything, Mueller was just handed an open-and-shut case.

You can't really get more explicit than this outside of literally going:

>> "Hello, I am a drug dealer, would you like to buy some some drugs?"

>> "Yes, I'd like to by some drugs please."

5. Invictus

Invictus Heir

You forgot about publishing it all on Facebook and tagging your local police department.

6. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Pretty much this. I think it's a "They're assholes, but they're our raghead assholes," mentality. Also, CNN and Fox tend to treat them like a legitimate nation, rather than the US's North Korea.

7. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Order Member

This email shit is so ridiculous, Louise Mensch didn't even make it up.

8. Invictus

Invictus Heir

As someone studying to be a lawyer I just can't believe someone was that stupid. I just can't. It has to be fake and he is trolling everyone. Or he is so fucking dumb that he must have someone to remember him how to breath every week least he forgets how.

9. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

At least the Trump family is still sticking it to Fake Journalists.

[​IMG]

10. EsperJones

EsperJones Order Member

11. Banta

Banta The Chosen One DLP Supporter

12. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

I think this one was my favorite.

Maybe they really should've tried that earlier lol

13. Innomine

Innomine Auror Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    These email shenanigans are the first thing that is truly damaging to Trump, and may actually put him in real trouble for the first time. However, I don't know if it'll actually do as much damage as it should, as people have been 'outraged' for too long. Those who already hate him will hate him more. Those who like him will probably just assume it's more attacks by the establishment liberal elite and ignore it.

We'll see how the fallout from this goes, but if it doesn't stick, I think it'll be a great example of what Agayek is talking about. And why playing his game, and reacting to every single thing he says is a bad idea.

14. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My understanding is that the Times had copies of them, and asked him for comment, and told him that they would be writing more stories on it, so he (apparently) released them to get out ahead of it. I don't see how it helps him at all, unless he doctored them to be less-awful, but if that were the case, then the Times would release the real ones?

He's not the spiciest chili in the spice cabinet.

But, really, every single thing he says is a bad idea.

15. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Junior released the emails for one key reason; so his alt-right core supporters can all go "nee nee, he released the emails so he must be innocent, also remember seth rich also shillary ate paedophile babies''.

And you know what? It fucking worked.

16. Innomine

High Score:
    I completely agree. But the fact of the matter is, it's turned into a war of attrition, one that we are losing. What matters more, reality or perception? Ultimately, it's perception that determines reality, as if people perceive this as less than it is, then how is it not damaging?

This is the crux of where I fundamentally disagree with what you and Banta have been saying. It doesn't matter how right you are if you still fail.

17. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I don't think 'saving up the outrage' is viable. Why should we let 95% of the bullshit pass on the vain hope that the 5% will be the stuff that kills him? I think it will be the sheer weight of it all that will get him, not a sudden left-hook.

18. Hopper

Hopper Second Year

People in Venezuela thought this too.

19. Innomine

High Score:
    Actions matter, not words. Where there is smoke, there is fire, but do you counter the smoke or the fire?

The game here isn't whether he's done bad things or not, that is without question, the victory comes when you can convince his supporters that he is not fit for purpose. Let's not forget, this man was elected the President of the United States legitimately. And much of the outrage over his past came out prior to the election. The very definition of stupidity is to keep doing the same thing and hope for a different result.

20. Invictus

Invictus Heir

I mean. You can try to look at the recent election record. That could be an indicative of what (isn't) working and try to focus on what people care about. Or you can keep ignoring the pleb's opinion which you so candidly dismiss all the time. Can't imagine that backfiring in a democracy.