1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. vlad

vlad Groundskeeper Prestige

High Score:
    NYT reaction suggests the establishment isn't going to make a fight of it. Young Turks reaction suggests they believe the establishment won't make a fight of it (and are pissed about that).

Sens Collins and Murkowski are signalling that they'll go through the motions but as long as he doesn't retard himself in the hearings he will have all the support he needs.

Not being on the left myself, I won't comment on whether it's worth a fight anyway at the risk of splitting red state Dems vs appealing to base before midterms. I will say though that I'm impressed Manchin hasn't flipped yet, I've been expecting it for two years now...

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

If it's clear that he is going to get confirmed, and this happens before the midterms, then no, it's objectively a retarded battle to have. But then again, I'm not an American left-activist, either, and don't do "feels" poltics, so eh. I assume they will carefully gauge the mood in their home states, and then make the call.

Time might actually be more of an issue, if they really intend to wade through all of his paper trail, because that must be miles long. How does this work, can McConnell put this to vote whenever he wants, as long as he's sure a majority would vote for Kavanaugh?

Edit: Link.
    Yes, well. I'll take the five bucks I bet against myself, thanks. Just useless.

3. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Order Member

4. Arthellion

Arthellion Ban(ned) Arthellion

High Score:
    Worth noting a democrat nominee wouldn’t be seen dead with the Federalist society which is cause for the disparity.

Kavanaugh has other libertarian bonafides that allow Paul to keep an open mind. Most notably the originalist/textualist Philosophy that a Democrat nominee would be unlikely to claim to adhere to.
    --- Post automerged ---
    In other new, Attempts to keep RBG alive are becoming increasingly more desperate

https://babylonbee.com/news/ruth-bader-ginsburg-encased-in-carbonite-until-next-court-session/

5. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was reading elsewhere that apparently Kennedy only agreed to step down when he was promised Kavanaugh would be his successor, and that he's been pushing that idea behind closed doors for quite a long time. Don't know whether its true or not, though Kavanaugh did clerk for Kennedy if I recall correctly so it is feasible they have a close enough relationship that Kennedy might lobby for him. But I don't like the idea of Justice's getting to choose their successors. The whole idea of "I'll step down only if you replace me with who I want..." just doesn't sit right with me.

6. Spanks

Spanks Minister of Magic

The reporter who tweeted about it retracted. She says it was from a source who wasn’t involved in the process and she couldn’t corroborate the claims with anyone else.

7. Solfege

Solfege Order Member DLP Supporter

Don't recall if it's been mentioned here, but Kennedy's son was the global head of real estate capital at Deutsche, whose private banking operations (encompassing multiple departments beyond Kennedy's, ok, and the Russian money-laundering took place after his departure) made over $1B in loans to a financially troubled Trump whom none of the other banks would touch. Still, Trump did work directly with Justin Kennedy at points, and his family's likely been lobbying Tony through the Kennedy children for months now.

Jared and Justin have done business together (Justin rescuing Jared's company in a merger), and Junior knows Justin thru the NY real estate circle ofc. Gregory Kennedy, the other son, went to Stanford with Thiel, and his company more recently worked with Palantir.

May not've been these backchannels solely that tipped the scale --- and of course rumors have abounded for months of reassuring Kennedy using the prospects of his own clerks too --- clearly Kennedy has been thinking of retirement for some time, but it's interesting that he chose this time now, when his clerks for the next term have already been selected.

Horse-trading, personal promises at the highest levels, is not unheard of, if infrequent. May not be the best example but despite being appointed Chief Justice, and a successful one who upheld Lincoln's vision of an emancipated society, Salmon P. Chase's ambitions for the presidency (and political machinations on the side, he was ever one to act behind Lincoln's back) didn't fully subside until his attempt to secure the 1868 Democratic nomination was frustrated by his favoring of voting rights for black men.

Edit: Also, Kavanaugh and Gorsuch were classmates at Georgetown Prep. Quite a tipple for a private Jesuit school, to have two Supreme Court justices at the same time.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  8. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Holy shit, I''ve been listening to the hearing of Peter Strzok. Trainwreck is literally an understatement.

Have a clip.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  9. Invictus

Invictus Totally Sirius

Hey turns out that Ocasio-Cortez does have something in common with Trump. Namely, thinking that Twitter is where you do politics and clean supposed dirty laundry. Oh and persecution complex for electoral reasons seems to be a possibility too.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/12/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-joe-crowley-twitter-feud-714983

What he said:

10. vlad

vlad Groundskeeper Prestige

High Score:
    Unironically a smart move on her part, for promoting her national image. She's angling for widespread support among liberals on a national level.

Starting a twitter fight against an establishment white man in the Democrat party. From her point of view, pretty much a guarantee win-win.

A coup has been brewing in DNC since Clinton's loss. I honestly don't see who could possibly bridge the gap in 2020, especially if funding looks bad (scotus decision on public union dues pushes this to the fore). If the old guard tries to find a self-funding billionaire from corporate America, the base is going to absolutely lose its shit.

Obviously, she won't be a candidate herself. Just as obviously, she's positioning herself to be a rallying point and standard bearer for a not insignificant faction. Which means making a name for herself outside her district as quickly as possible.

11. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

This entire interrogation has been stupid bullshit.

"You stated in your text that 'this place smells of Trump support.' What exactly does that smell like?"

12. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Bullshit, indeed. Is he biased? Yes. Everyone is. Did that bias affect his work? I don't know, but they sure as hell didn't provide any evidence to show that. It was pretty embarassing to witness.

13. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gotta love the Friday news dump here at Justice. ;-)

14. DerHesse

DerHesse High Inquisitor

15. Dystopian Destiny

Dystopian Destiny Third Year

I think China stopped accepting American trash as early as January.

Here:
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

Trade war threats began around May, but Trump had already imposed a tariff on solar panels as early as January.
    Wikipedia link

So, not really retaliation, but might have been a part of the first moves towards trade war.

16. blob

blob DA Member

Was it aimed at USA though? I know that China stopped importing trash from EU early this year.

Poland took up the task and provided a novel technological solution - storing trash in the cloud (as in, setting landfills on fire to make room for new trash because money).

17. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ah, how environmentally friendly.

18. Rehio

Rehio Alchemist DLP Supporter

Well we've gotta make stars somehow.

19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
    I hate that my govt's response to concerns about about our coal dependency is to burn garbage for money.

20. awinarock

awinarock Heir

For a second there, I honestly thought you meant they stored their trash in Google Drive or some shit.