1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Agayek

Agayek Heir

Honestly, I think a big part of Trump's appeal (and I would assume Doug Ford, but I don't know enough to say) is in being an atrocious human being. He's blunt, direct, irreverent, and entirely out of fucks to give about the feelings of anyone who's listening, and seeing that in action can be powerfully attractive to folks who feel like, for whatever reason, they can't be those things themselves.

2. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Heir

Well yeah. A lot of people mistake "he's blunt and tells it like it is and he's not a politician" with "being an irredeemable asshole"

I know, I'm related to a bunch of em

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 4:05 AM
  3. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    I'd also say his position as being fundamentally anti-status quo is a big plus for a lot of folks.

4. kinetique

kinetique Professor

I find it fascinating watching left leaning forums consistently misinterpret the way the general public will react to events. If there was even a kernel of accuracy to these predictions there wouldn't be any hope for a Republican victory in the coming mid terms. Watch it be an absolute landslide.

I also find it bizarre the hills that some media outlets seemingly want to die on. The "shit hole" reaction comes to mind. Tactless certainly, but the immediate push to pretend these nations weren't torn apart was just stupid.

How anyone thought the Kavanaugh decision would go in a different direction is beyond me, how anyone thought it would be a good look for the Democrats overall is even further beyond me.

5. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Words have power proportionate to the influence of the one wielding them. Trump's words - in his role as POTUS - carry more weight than probably anyone else on the planet, and in the past, we've seen people in those positions be careful in weighing their words carefully. This old world order is still moving forward under inertia, though with every passing day, its role is diminished.

Kavanaugh was probably always going to go this way on account of the Senate being GOP controlled, but consider that - before the accusations were made - Dems weren't exactly happy with some of his views either. Executive power is one of them. Given the possible complications w.r.t the Mueller probe and it being the political season to score points, anything less than strigent opposition would've been a very poor look for them. That argument wasn't do anything immediate, but that's just how the lay of the land is at the moment.

Then things got blown open wide, and we've spent the last 500 posts rambling about that.

Re: landslide - that comment falls flat in the face of basically most conventions. Historically, the party that holds the White House loses in midterms. The three most recent exceptions are 2002, 1998, and 1934. Now, I don't have data on 1934, but I'm going to give you three words that 2002 and 1998 share, and 2018 does not.

Positive presidential approval.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 1:05 AM
  6. Solfege

Solfege Order Member DLP Supporter

Hindsight. It very nearly did go in a different direction, and we get Amy Coney Barrett on the nomination stand instead. And your critique is very narrowly aimed; I find it goes both ways --- what looks good "overall" on one side tends to be interpreted through completely different lens on the other. Tan suits, anyone?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 1:05 AM
  7. kinetique

kinetique Professor

The tan suits and Dijon mustard segments were routinely criticised as being (rightfully) ridiculous. CNN are now hosting reaction panels on Kanye West's thoughts on the MAGA hat. I'm not entirely sure I'd want to be tallying points for what's more of a bad look. As a matter of fact I can't believe someone would use Fox's tan suits segment as a justification for anything other than a critique of Fox news.

That is a valid critique, and I agree entirely.

I'm pretty sure most of America thought a 30+ year old baseless accusation wasn't the way to go either.

8. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

An argument about executive power, indicting sitting presidents, yada yada... That's all theoretical, legalistic mumbo-jumbo, and a few more things. That's good for discussions here - and more than a small part of me rues that this was drowned under the tug-of-sexual-assault-war - but overall the only reason that was actually a known and relevant factor is the Mueller probe.

A sexual assault accusation is raw, evocative, and indirectly touches far more people. If you're surprised that the dry and theoretical loses out to the emotional and stirring, then I don't know where you've been. (Not least because it's a very simplified way of categorising the 2016 election.)

9. ChronicallyInsane

ChronicallyInsane Squib

You're kidding. You don't have to have a political slant to realize that CNN is the distilled, most bland, mega-corpified version of news available; whereas Fox has been all but propaganda for well over a decade at this point. There's a vast difference that exists there, and people have been pointing that out since the start of W's administration. Trying to obfuscate the point, by ignoring past behavior is dishonesty squared.

Simply put, CNN will do what makes them the most money; whereas Fox news has a vested interest in propagating a concrete viewpoint.

10. kinetique

kinetique Professor

I'm not surprised at all, I'm annoyed but not surprised. What I am surprised about is that people actually think they're going to win like this.

@ChronicallyInsane Short of hiring Alex Jones I can't think of a less bland way to broadcast than this:

11. Solfege

Except that vis a vis Oment's point, people did win. That's how they got Trump.

12. kinetique

kinetique Professor

More talking about the left thinking they can out stupid the circus which is the right.

Watch Kanye somehow become president. I can think of no greater statement than to have a season of "Keeping up with the Kardashians" filmed on location at the white house, nor for that matter to have a Kardashian be the first lady.

13. ChronicallyInsane

ChronicallyInsane Squib

I mean welcome to the world. It's not exactly a surprise that most mega-corps have this sort of bland, vaguely left appearance. It's apparently what is either most profitable or what is going to be the most profitable. I mean Disney is the same way, and if you're calling Disney an ideologically charged agent, I think it's not them with the problem.

14. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Care to give an example?

15. kinetique

kinetique Professor

This thread? The previous one? The entire year leading up to the election is a good look, consistently wrong predictions, hysteria, the works.

16. Solfege

Broad sweeps that say nothing at all. The election is hardly worth relitigating --- merely to note it hinged on a mere percentage point across three states. Not at all a landslide. Not at all "the general public" you speak of. "The general public," in very fact, seems split nearly down the middle, if not a slight but electorally insignificant majority to the Democrats.

I predict a similarly hard fought battle for 2020, provided no acts of nature intervene.

17. kinetique

kinetique Professor

How do you think the mid terms will go? I suspect 2020 will be a pretty heavy win for Republicans.

18. Solfege

The conventional odds seem to be the House to the Democrats and the Republicans to retain the Senate, if not to gain a seat (Heitcamp's) or two.

2020 is too far off for anyone to say. But a Republican-controlled senate will blunt some of the charges to "Democratic obstructionism."

19. kinetique

kinetique Professor

I'll be genuinely shocked if Republicans don't retain the house, but I do hope I'm wrong.

20. Agayek

Agayek Heir

Midterms are likely going to end with the Democrats taking the House (barely), with the Senate remaining a slim Republican majority.

2020 I'm less confident of, especially given how often the Democrats have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in recent years, but I give it at least even odds that Trump will win re-election and the Senate will probably be divided right down the middle and reliant on the VP to actually pass anything.

Edit:
    Though I am 100% in agreement with you that the Democrats have been flailing randomly, visibly and hard, in the last couple of years, and it's not doing them any favors. I could definitely see the Democrats tripping at the eleventh hour and seeing a complete blowout. I don't find it very likely, largely thanks to the American tendency to swing against the President's party, but it's very possible.