1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Imariel

Imariel Death Eater DLP Supporter

Let us go back to this again, we had so much fun and managed to keep the argument lucid and relevant.

2. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

[​IMG] I don't know how much it matters but I'm at one of the protests. It has been slow so far but it hasn't officially started yet.

3. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Minister of Magic

I assume you're speaking of Kobach? I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I would be real hesitant to use Kansas as an example against Trump. People in this state hated Kobach entirely on his own merits. Aside from Yoder getting voted out, the GOP still ran away with most of the state.

4. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

The current crop of too-close-to-call races. Listing all of the mentioned ones in the spoiler comment.

Senate: Florida/Arizona, technically Mississippi because of the runoff rules.
    House: CA-10, CA-39, CA-45, CA-48, CA-49, GA-7, ME-2, MN-1, NJ-3, NM-2, NY-22, NY-27, TX-23, UT-4.
    Governor: Georgia.

Some of the House races have been called in some direction already, but people are stubborn or something. Florida governor is also seemingly heading for a recount of some sorts as well - DeSantis leads by 0.4 %, which is recount territory. Probably won't change much, but...

5. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Which he was. So, whatever.

False argument. The credibility of one witness has no effect on the credibility of another. Blasey-Ford was credible. Period.

6. Invictus

Invictus Totally Sirius

So, the question I'm asking myself is, how did the progressive ala come out of this election? Was it like in 2012 where the Tea Party took a big bite and became the more visible part of the party? Did they break down and win way less than expected? Or did they follow predictions and basically just overtook solid blue seats by taking on incumbents/estabilishment people?

This election was interesting since Democrats coordinated better and Republicans were quite uncoordinated, either waiting on Trump or just not knowing what to do much. For the House. Senate was another story, while Democrats seemed to rely much more on ad hoc and grassroots organizing, which while great when everyone's pumped up, doesn't give you a lasting legacy.

But Democrats seem aware of their weakness and willing (if not bey able) to rectify it. So it's a hopeful outlook for them, while GOP became the party of Trump and that means a massive reorganization. However, when Trump's gone, it's likely another realignment might happen.

7. his fluffiness

his fluffiness Third Year

Lol, Arizona now has Sinema leading. A win there would be amazing.

8. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    No false argument. I did not argue that one negated the other. However, I do note your minimizing 3 to 1, since there has so far been three accusers that have recanted. Moreover, one of them was used to support Blasey-Ford's claim. So no, that recant does affect her. It doesn't discredit, but it does weaken her claim to the level it was before the false testimony was given. As far as credibility is concerned, yeah... I just don't know. The Democrat handling of her, she meticulously cleaning out her social media of all Trump hate that by all accounts, ran rampant, and finally, their waiting until the very end for no other reason than to blood the GOP nose a month before midterms really does hurt credibility. It smacks of politics.

But, as others have said, I'm not interested in rearguing this because in the end, it is opinion-based and we're not going to change each other's opinion on this.

Fair enough.

9. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Heir

It'd be cool if the Dems won Senate seats in Florida and Mississippi after a recount and runoff respectively. Especially if Sinema holds on - would that erase any net changes for the GOP?

10. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Yep. That'd be net-0.

11. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy Heir

I understand it's still a long shot, but did anyone predict that?

12. Quiddity

Quiddity Unspeakable

13. EsperJones

EsperJones Headmaster

Huh. The rapid response protests were completely ignored by all of the major press.

14. Paladin

Paladin Third Year

High Score:
    So what's going on with this Whittaker thing? Is it illegal? Not illegal?

15. Agayek

Agayek Heir

I'm no legal scholar, but my understanding is that it's legal for Whittaker to take up the post as acting AG until Sessions' replacement can be found, since someone has to do the job.

Given everything though, I'd be kinda surprised if Whittaker wasn't forced to recuse from the Mueller shit like Sessions did though.

16. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Order Member DLP Supporter

Yeah, and looking at this guy, and the shit they're starting to pull him saying from the last few years, there doesn't seem to be a way for him to avoid it being painfully obvious he's too biased not to.

Except for saying "yeah, we admit it, fuck you anyway", which is what I'm sure will happen.

17. his fluffiness

his fluffiness Third Year

I thought that acting AG has to be confirmed by Congress for at least some previous gov position beforehand, which Whittaker has not been.

18. Agayek

Agayek Heir

As I understand it, that's for the actual AG, and the acting AG is simply the guy the job falls to (since someone has to do it) until Congress and the President agree on someone for long-term.

19. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

20. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Here is the relevant regulation, if you would like to read the specifics.

Suffice to say, it is permissible for the President to appoint a person to fill a vacancy if that person has served as a first assistant to the departing principal, and that person has served for longer than 90 days in a position whose seniority is at GS-15 or higher.