1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

How long until Trump goes on a rant about unions if this happens? And pushes for some union kneecapping legislation?

2. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Unlike when Reagan fired 11k air traffic controllers in 1981 (and subsequently banned them from federal employment for life), they're not federal employees and therefore not under his thumb.

Anti-union legislation and court challenges have been part of ALEC's and the Federalist Society's agendas for decades, a perspective baked into the GOP DNA. It's doubtful that Trump could do much more to hamstring labor unions than he and his Republican Party are already doing.

3. Imariel

Imariel Death Eater DLP Supporter

"We take journalistic objectivity to be as natural and immutable as the stars"

:nyan:

4. Agayek

Agayek Prisoner

Is this a reference to something and I'm just not getting it?

5. Imariel

Quote from the article, meant to imply that journalistic objectivity is inherently unnatural, to the point of nonexistent. I find the rest of the article decent though, I'd characterise the two-sides fallacy as a marketing ploy where conflict entices rather than an attempt at integrity and objectivity personally but they make a clear analysis of the future of media imo.

Edit: I suspect I'm in the wrong thread....
    Edit 2: I'm sure I was in the correct thread. This was the linked article: https://www.wired.com/story/journal...VkmOXiSxfFvyDMaeYGrQN_MdVaH1ibqO9XzMmR9C434Oc

6. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
  8. Arthellion

Arthellion Chief Warlock

High Score:
    Joggers. Anti-vaxxers. Vegans.

9. Imariel

Oi don't hate on joggers! I had to partly give it up to gain weight but I still identify as one :^)

10. Arthellion

Arthellion Chief Warlock

High Score:
    I think you jog just so you can say, "I ran."

Funnily enough, Hillary Clinton can also say that. Its obviously a conspiracy.

11. Invictus

Invictus Half-Blood Prince

Worst to me is that she's a woman. Jesus, who wants to be a woman amidst the Ayatollah's Regime? Literally "at least it's not Saudi Arabia or Taliban-held Afghanistan" is the best thing I can come up with.

12. Quiddity

Quiddity Unspeakable

Bit old, but I found this ridiculous.

Australia, New Zealand, Canada. I'm not sure why you jumped to comparing to Sub Saharan Africa or South East Asia before countries with similar backgrounds and histories.

Also, it's way easier for me to migrate to the EU than to the US.

13. Invictus

If you are of comfortable middle class or upper background with a desired diploma or sought after trade school graduation, then yes. They are much easier. If not, then they are much, much more terrible. US allows a shitton of people come in through familia immigration that neither of thoser three would ever, ever allow. Also, all of those three lose their fucking shit whenever illegals get in the question. Australia buld Guantanamos for them in isolated shitholes and Canada got a few thousand suddenly and it then became such a huge problem that Trudeau's government completely shifted gears, changed speech completely and it became a major issue in the election they are will now address. Soooo.... It has some merit.

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Tactical Tomato DLP Supporter

Excuse me, we build shitholes on isolated paradises. It's a proud tradition going back to the days of Colonisation and Palm Island.

15. vlad

vlad Professor Prestige

High Score:
    Thats my point. There are 195 countries in the world. USA is - maybe - the 40th or so least difficult to immigrate to and acquire legal protections. Hardly "notoriously difficult."

USA also has jus soli citizenship, while most European countries dont. I also doubt very much that it is easier for the majority of Latin America to gain de facto residency in say, Hungary or Poland... or Italy or France, than in USA.

In short, *most conservatively*, America is in the top third of easiest countries to establish residency. Reality puts it higher than that. Top 20%.

The "difficulty" stems from the fact that there are probably a billion or so people who would move here if all barriers of entry were removed; not because of some system that is a global outlier in its restrictions.

What is really being said is, "America has more restrictions than the rest of the Anglosphere," - a sphere that as a whole is the most immigrant welcoming group on the planet - which is very different than the initial indictment that Americans are "notorious" immigration restrictionists relative to everyone.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  16. Invictus

17. Silirt

Silirt Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

>Bezos will pull out
    Should have thought of that sooner.

18. Arthellion

Arthellion Chief Warlock

High Score:
    Did he pull out in those photos though?

19. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

I wouldn't take it entirely on face value. The dog-and-pony show put a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, seemed less about genuine competition and more about extracting 1) maximal incentives from the locations they were going to move to anyway and 2) confidential city data on all sorts of growth prospects for other facilities like warehouses and Whole Foods.

And then they pulled the stunt of splitting up "HQ2." Note they're not reopening the competition, implying other cities didn't have desired infrastructure or talent to support an expansion. There aren't many places that can give them and also support 25k skilled software employees,* and they'll continue growing their presence in NY like any other company.

Google announces they're doubling their NYC workforce without a municipal race-to-the-bottom, no one blinks an eye. Amazon and Google should have a pretty significant NYC presence within a decade regardless.

* Ditto DC-NOVA, which has public infrastructure, cheap office/datacenter space, and a growing pool of engineering talent that's been steadily nurtured by government contractors like Raytheon, Boeing, Lockheed Martin.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  20. Invictus

It's Bezos deciding he's just going to stay in Seattle and expand there since he didn't get what he wanted from NY and now he has a way of threatening Seattle. The thing is, it's still a terrible blow to Cuomo and De Blasio and it really shows that people don't want to deal with progressives and AOC shit. The cost-benefit just isn't there. So ofc, don't take it fully at face value, but they didn't just out a show for nothing. It's a message and ignoring just because it isn't 100% what people from both sides want to be, doesn't mean it's not there