1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey DLP authors, there's a bit less than a month left to wow us with your story about Daphne or Azkaban.

The Author applies the words to the paper or it gets the hose. Write or die! The more the merrier.

Click here for more information!
    Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

I'm reminded of a document that the GOP has basically been using as very expensive toilet paper for the last couple of years: their 2012 autopsy. A few choice citations, with courtesy to The Atlantic for lifting them and saving me the trouble searching in the document itself (and linking it too):

Of course, this is focused on Hispanics - but I think just looking at the general make-up of the legislature tends to show the story just as well: data from 2015 tells us that Democrats have state delegations that are rather more varied in terms of gender (34 % to 17 % of lawmakers), and minority representation (33 % to 5 %). I can't imagine it's gotten a lot more varied on the right side of the aisle since. I believe the voter demographic data for 2018 bore this out as well.

Fact of the matter is, when it comes to voting, the current GOP's got toxic cred with anything that isn't, crudely put, white and male. It's not too bad for some demographics, but even if you take the black vote out of the equation for being unfairly influenced by the past (which is really stretching it, but I'll entertain it for the sake of the argument), you're looking at numbers that likely scare some number crunchers should the current alignments remain standing. Emphasis on should - this is just unlikely to happen, but realignments take time, and it is, as ever, far easier to destroy (credibility) than it is to build up.

Somewhat fortunately for the GOP, the general pendulum of US politics works in their favour here, as parties generally spend eight years with, eight years without a president. They would have time to rebuild their image from the opposition, and they'll definitely be able to do so. The question is what comes out of that metamorphosis.

-edit- Mixed up a comparison somewhere. Fixed now.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. Agayek

Agayek Totally Sirius DLP Supporter

While I wouldn't say that this point is entirely baseless, it's also excessively cynical IMO. There's almost certainly elements of party leadership who actively think like that, but they're also almost certainly a very small minority of "the left" at large.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  3. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned Prestige

High Score:
    Based upon what justification? If your goal is to get reelected, then you strategize and examine what policies are best to get you reelected. This doesn't mean that politicians -don't- care, but that votes and money takes priority.

For example Biden's recent flip flop on the Hyde amendment. As a catholic, he has stated he believes abortion is morally wrong and for the longest time has supported Hyde; the instant he got flak about it in this election, he changed because of voting. I guarantee you that he still thinks abortion is morally wrong, but voting changes things.

I'd note if I was stating this about the right, most people here would be wholeheartedly agreeing. Both sides do it.

4. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

When you say "the left" at least I assume you are talking about people who hold leftist views. Being both a leftist and a quite cynical person myself I can still say that I do not support immigration due to the reasons you stated.
    Probably the opposite is actually true, the left is bleeding huge amounts of votes due to their perceived weakness on immigration. Perhaps it could be said that politicians think it will increase the amount of people who vote for them in 20-30 years time, but when have you ever seen a politician able to sacrifice short-term benefits for long-term gain?

5. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Rubbish.

6. Arthellion

High Score:
    To clarify im referring to politicians, not voters.

The short term gain is donations. The long term is more votes.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m with the left on this and am actually for amnesty, but the motives on politicians part is hardly pure.

7. Agayek

Mostly on the basis that that's the same logic leftists use to argue that Republicans all cackle to themselves every night over how they're gonna kick out the brown people and subjugate women.

8. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Of course they don't cackle. It's hell on your throat.

The DoJ has agreed to turn over some of the underlying evidence from the Mueller report after negotiations. This also removes the contempt vote that was scheduled for tomorrow.

9. Arthellion

High Score:
  10. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score:
  11. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Ladies and gentlemen, tonight's legal citation, for your own edification and to throw in the faces of idiots on Facebook:

Title 52, United States Code, § 30121(a)(1)(A) and (a)(2), combined:

Prohibition: It shall be unlawful for a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election; or for a person to solicit, accept, or receive a contribution or donation from a foreign national.

12. Agayek

I haven't had time to catch up on today's news. Did something happen to prompt this or is this just the regularly scheduled fact-of-the-day?

13. Innomine

Innomine Death Eater Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
  14. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

"Why will this talk of me being an arsonist not die?" said the man, striking a match and dropping it into a bucket of water.

15. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Headmaster

Pretty much, only thats not a bucket of water.

16. Hakairyu

Hakairyu Third Year

Devil's advocate here (I lol'd otherwise), "money or other thing of value" and the rest of the wording sort of sounds like it's talking about an economic contribution, so I'm not sure if information qualifies. Can counsel cite precedent?

Though yeah, asking "Norway" if they've got any dirt (unlawfully obtained, if possible) isn't what I would typically term... presidential.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  17. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    From the 2007 Federal Election Commission Advisory Opinion on the subject:
    Thus, information that is useful and you would otherwise have to go to some expense to obtain, probably through opposition research, etc, is a "thing of value", and is illegal to accept from a foreign source.

18. 13thadaption

13thadaption Seventh Year DLP Supporter

So, Sarah Huckabee Sanders will be leaving her position at the white house at the end of the month. Possibly with the intention of running for governor of Arkansas. Article

I'm not proud of it, but I really do hate that woman's smug, lying face. I hope all worst for her in her future endeavors.

19. Arthellion

High Score:
  20. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign Prestige

High Score: