1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q3 2019 Story Competition entries are up folks! Reviewing open untill TOMORROW! (September 24th)

Once you have reviewed, you can rank your top three
    Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. pbluekan

pbluekan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Eh. That’s not the question here, IMO.

The issue at hand is the shitstorm that would flow when kids aren’t granted the citizenship their parents already have. What do you do when they turn 18 and lose their greencard? Deport them, because fuck you, you’re not American even if your parents are citizens, you went to public school, and have spent the last ~two decades of your life being raised as an American?

Gaining American citizenship isn’t a matter of apply, wait, get a rubber stamp, and then you’re singing the Star Spangled Banner. Applicants are vetted fairly heavily. For anyone but asylum seekers, the process is pretty intensive, and for asylum seekers it’s a legal pile of shit that is all but impossible to get through now. So, if we want kids to go through the citizenship process, how do we vet them? How do you interview a toddler? Give them a citizenship test? Gauge their benefit to the country? How is a citizenship application for a small child, even one tailored for them, anything more than a bureaucratic formality?

There are already enough problems with that system that adding pointless paperwork to it will only compound the issues.

2. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Firstly, green cards never expire, they can only be revoked with cause.

Second, the citizenship process is not particularly intensive, it's just long. You have to have had residency for x many years, pay the application fee, have a basic background check, submit to an interview, and take the test. It's mostly formality. Rarely does someone fail.

The intense parts you're thinking about are for asylum and refugee visas, and for immigration visas.

An addendum application to their parents' would not be a heavy burden, you could waive some of the components a kid can't do. If my suspicions are correct, they mainly just want the additional application fees.

3. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Weekend news. One that's likely to get all the attention, and one that's actually interesting. I'll let you decide which.

A look at a GOP operative, after the North Carolina legislative maps were tossed out earlier this week.

Yeah yeah, both sides, blah. After the rulings of the SCOTUS, expect more gerrymandering to come after the new census, given that it's clearly allowed in some regards.

Suspicious detours at the US Air Force.

Unsurprising, naturally, but you know, grifters gonna grift.

4. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

The midterms* are finally over, as NC-09 voted today.

Be interesting to see what the result is. The Dem lost by about a thousand votes in November, but election fraud took place, so it's a new round. Could be the final flip in the blue wave, though I don't think they'll be too sad if it doesn't - it's nominally R+8.

*Yes, yes, it's not a rematch from the midterms, but since the district went without a representative in the mean time, I'm taking creative license.

5. Tapi

Tapi Third Year

So John Bolton is out

6. pbluekan

Another senior cabinet member is gone. Just another day at the Trump Administration at this point.

I guess it’s nice to know he’s not getting his way anymore, but I’m always left wondering who is advising Trump at this point.

7. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

Times are getting good for labor. United Auto Workers are striking; Schrodinger Trump has and hasn't supported the UAW against General Motors. 80,000 Kaiser Permanente workers are set to strike Oct 14. US Army been missing its recruitment targets.

[​IMG]

It's almost like unions know when they have leverage or don't.

8. pbluekan

Speaking of, who wants to bet we’ve got another decade in Afghanistan ahead of us?

9. tikkier2000

tikkier2000 Fourth Year

High Score:
    I don't know about you, but I don't want to leave Afghanistan with no support by withdrawing everything in one fell swoop. I can see beyond the end of my nose, even if our current government can't.

10. Longsword

Longsword Seventh Year

It doesn't matter how and when, leave and the place collapses. Unless you are willing to play coloniser the likely result is some sort of civil war which the regime in Kabul would lose.

It won't be too bad, and this isn't the first time it has happened. Congress got over selling South Vietnam down the river, this by comparison is peanuts.

11. ThePinkTomato

ThePinkTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Maybe if we stopped murdering civilians there, there would be fewer enemies to fight in the future.

12. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Or murder them all so there are no enemies to fight. /s.

13. Longsword

Longsword Seventh Year

Killing civilians over there has no effect. Taliban blowing civilians up certainly hasn't destroyed their control over parts of Afghanistan.
    Taliban should be happy to see America leave, attacking the US again would just get them kicked around for no reason.

Should have had the common sense to kick Osama out when they were told.

Meanwhile :
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...is-taliban-civilians-death-toll-a9111956.html

14. ThePinkTomato

High Score:
    I'm sorry, are you trying to argue that murdering civilians has no chance of radicalising the people around them?

15. Longsword

Longsword Seventh Year

Radicalising them will have little effect unless you are creating an open door policy for letting them in. The radicalised will go and attack the Afghanistan government instead.

16. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    [​IMG]

17. Longsword

Longsword Seventh Year

Its true though. Attacking the US mainland directly is a very stupid strategy. Proxies of nations like Iran would rather attack American presence in the Middle East.
    Odd ball Islamic threats like ISIS are rashes that cannot be easily foreseen or completely eradicated, but some bombing along with support to local actors should mop them up.

A "gradual withdrawal" from Afghanistan is just a face saving measure.

18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

I parsed this three times through my Trump bullshit filter, and I still think it's relevant news, so here it is: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...651aa2-da60-11e9-bfb1-849887369476_story.html

There's a defined process for whistleblowers as it regards to the national intelligence, so that the House comittee can execute oversight the way it's intended to. The filed complaint checked all boxes, and the acting director of the DNI refuses to hand it over. The result is a ton of speculation about Trump personally being involved resp. incriminated.

The problem is that the PR (for those that care) is so bad that you'd expect this only to be a thing if, y'know, the truth is actually worse, but given that it's Trump, it's entirely possible he's doing it just because.

19. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If I were the whistleblower right now, whoever he/she is, I don't see what's stopping them from walking into Adam Schiff's office and just telling him.

20. ThePinkTomato

High Score:
    Yeah, it's a pity that you guys didn't have The Wall built back in 2001.