1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain)
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

Not open for further replies.
  1. thejabber27

thejabber27 Slug Club Member

He's just doubling down on what he did wrong in an attempt to normalize it. It's worked before for him so who knows.

2. pbluekan

pbluekan Headmaster DLP Supporter

I mean, somehow the GOP is barking up some tree that it requires the entire House to impeach. Going so far as the House Judiciary GOP Chair telling federal judges to block Democrats from sealed grand jury testimony.

For what it's worth, it takes a simple majority. For example, Clinton was impeached with a 228-206 majority. And, the relevant committees have full jurisdiction to perform investigations without any vote whatsoever.

3. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He doesn't mean it takes a unanimous vote to approve Articles of impeachment, he means that the House has to take a vote to officially open an impeachment inquiry, and they haven't done that.

I don't know the House rules on this, but if delegating authority to the House Judiciary Committee to open an official Impeachment Inquiry does take a vote, then he's actually right, because there hasn't been a vote.

So, clarity.

4. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

I'm not sure if I'm more desensitized due to Trump pulling bs moves, which I was tired of even before he became president, or people shrieking about every single thing he does. I may be from the EU but I've given up even trying to care either way. It's just not on this forum, but our national press is slanted the same way - so whenever he tweets it makes the newspaper. Wholly annoying, only reason I keep reading about it is work.

5. DR

High Score:
    You have to read about his antics for work?

Sorry.

6. pbluekan

pbluekan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Oops, ya, but the fact is, the investigations can be open without the official impeachment inquiry. Congress basically has carte blanch to investigate goings on in the government.

It’s from Wikipedia, but:
    President Buchanan had this fight with congress and lost.

7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

The point being, of course, that just about everything he does is worth shrieking about. Let's not move the goalpost just because he has figured out that behaving outrageously generates outrage, yes?

Anyway, that aside, I can't believe (well I can, but damn) that the thing that actually might get him is him tripping over his own conspiracy theories. I don't think there'd be that much Karma in the universe. All this nonsensical shit about Biden and CrowdStrike and Ukraine that he goes to foreign leaders with, who probably have to have some poor aides digging through WhateverChan or listening in on Rush just to figure out what the fuck he's even talking about -- by all accounts, he genuinely believes that, and tries to enlist foreign help for his campaign on an issue they couldn't even help him with if they wanted to. He's in hot waters for something that literally doesn't exist. That, right there, is the universe saying fuck you.

8. Imariel

Imariel Headmaster DLP Supporter

Foreign policy, the US remains a big actor.

9. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

Screenshot 2019-10-05 03.04.32.png

Shooting at the legs means 50% will be hit in the abdomen or chest and die. 75% of people hit in the legs will bleed out. Good thing this never went thru and the furor over detention camps has passed, migrants getting stopped at the border are certainly getting hit with who-knows-what by the cartels but Not Our Problem.

Anyway, with everything getting washed out by election interferences, House Republicans seem to be terribly concerned... that the White House hasn't come to a coherent counter-narrative.

Discussion by our Ukraine diplomats of the written agreement to have their Ukrainian counterparts investigate Biden took place over WhatsApp. I get that WhatsApp has this veneer of official White House approval as the app by which Jared does his secret backchannel talks with the Saudis whilst sitting on the toilet at penthouse parties, but I just wanted to get a second opinion from the experts: is it as secure as a private email server?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  10. Innomine

Innomine Headmaster ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is a great article on the attitudes of rural America and how they view government spending. Also Trumps base.

Honestly, it’s extremely difficult to see how this will shift. These attitudes have now been ingrained for a generation.

It doesn’t matter how the system works, if no one believes in it. But it becomes a race to the bottom.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/04/...l?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

11. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

More and less. WhatsApp has end to end encryption which means that the only way to intercept message content is to compromise the device or the user, because authentication to the app decrypts the content and displays it in the clear. Both compromising the device and the user is relatively easy when you're that high profile.

For a private server I've actually literally managed email servers for enterprises and when properly set up, the same should be true. You can still use Public Key Infrastructure with exchange, it's just that the whole reason why cloud email solutions are more and more a thing is because on prem/bare metal private e-mail servers suck, configuring then sucks, using them sucks and you have to be really on the fucking ball with patching, configuration manager, auditing and access logging. Most admins don't do that successfully and it's a toss up whether or not Hillary's email guy did. Likely not though!

And as before, encryption doesn't matter if your compromise the device used to access and thereby decrypt that information. I'd worry more about her phone than her server.

12. DR

High Score:
    People get what they vote for.

The only positive here is that the rural population shrinks every year. They can be as vociferous as they want; there are still fewer of them.

13. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, the whole idea of shooting someone without putting them in mortal peril is kind of a pipe dream. It's why the rules of engagement with guns have always been to not shoot unless lethal force is acceptable. I don't see that changing until we get Star Trek phasers that come with a stun setting.

14. JErosion

JErosion DA Member

I feel like Trymp has list a lot of the Farmers, tariffs have done them no favors, and while yes there are government subsidies, most farmers in America don't want them, they have a mentality of earning their way. But that is hard to do when your legs get cut out from under you.

15. Solfege

Solfege Headmaster DLP Supporter

Curious of those of you in favor of pulling out of Afghanistan, what's the difference between retrenching there and retrenching in Syria/abandoning the Kurds?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  16. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I've seen that a few high profile Republicans have now spoken out against Trump, in relation to the Syria thing. Do you think this is going to be their excuse to turn on him? Something they can try and pitch to their bases? And old message that their base already know and understand, the dangers of middle eastern terrorism?

17. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I mean, they can try, but Trump can beat that with "What, I said I was gonna get us out of the stupid wars Obama kept dragging us into".

It's certainly possible, but I wouldn't get your hopes up; ending overseas military entanglements is one of the few things populists in both parties agree on, and I just can't see Trump actually delivering on that being taken badly, on the whole.

18. Jarizok

Jarizok Professor

This is actual Trump, yes? I haven’t been gotten? Goddamn farcical.

19. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So State is preventing Sondland from testifying, and also withholding relevant texts and emails that are on Sondland's personal devices. Makes you wonder what they're afraid he'd say.

20. DR

High Score:
    Also, the WH apparently is officially "not cooperating" with the inquiry, or so they say. I assume they're attempting to tie it all up in the courts and fatigue people into apathy, like they did for L'Affaire Russe.