1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Innomine

Innomine Auror Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it's fair to make a distinction between terroristic threatening and terrorism. One, by all accounts, is not the other. In media exposure, if nothing else.

Despite the fact that we can't really define the later. I think The Iron Rose is right when she says that it's a word whose meaning changes depending on the context/social consensus. Right now the consensus is that the word means 'Islamic violence against the west'.

2. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 Prestige

High Score:
    And I wouldn't argue that at all. In fact, I absolutely agree it's all kinds of stupid. My only argument here is how the word, "Terrorism" and it's root is being expanded to the point of being almost meaningless. It's a buzzword, now.

3. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For the media, yes, it's a buzzword. I think we need to specify that.

4. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Yes and no. It's more than just the media, because governments capitalize on it. Why do we have "terroristic threatening" laws? Because legislatures capitalized on the buzzword. Then, when local TV stations report on arrests and the charges that go along with them, "Terror" is reported along with it. Not as a buzzword, but as part of the everyday legal language. And, national governments take it and use it to pound all types of laws and spending though the legislature.

All of this goes back to my single point about the word getting spread so thin as to lose its meaning.

5. Innomine

High Score:
    Ok, but where are the examples of the word being used so often, for so many different things that it has become meaningless?

Literally the only way that it has been used by Western governments and media is to describe Islamic violence against the West. Turkey does not count in this case.

These laws you're describing exist, sure, but where is the widespread and ubiquitous coverage of their enforcement on a scale similar to my definition which would support your argument?

6. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    A simple Google search for the last month shows literally hundreds of articles of arrests.

And, that is only one element. My central point, as I keep saying, is that the word keeps getting stretched until it can apply to almost anything. The very fact these laws exist is not only support, but pretty much proof of my argument, at least here in the US.

But it isn't just that. It's how the word itself is used. Again, it is put out there as a buzzword. A word that by its very invokation, is meant to instill fear.

Such as here, and here.

I don't get why you're so hung up on "Westerners like to accuse only brown people of terrorism." Right now, in the West, the biggest terrorist attacks are Islamic adherents that have been radicalized attacking Western targets. So, of course that's going to be the loudest in the news. But, that does mean in the least that the root word, "Terror" and its different verbal and noun forms are not being used in a variety of ways by the media, the government, and by other entities to drive their own agendas, such as ratings, legislation, or to sway public opinion (as seen in the two link above).

7. Invictus

Invictus Heir

Oh yeah. IRA and the Basques and FARCs and the Oklahoma bombers were never labeled terrorists.

8. Innomine

High Score:
    Fair enough, I guess how the usage of the term has shifted over the last few years in America hasn't really penetrated the international media. I actually just saw the fox news article calling the van that ran into Muslims a terror attack, and thought about this argument. :p

Honestly, I think we are actually arguing towards the same point, just from a different beginning. I definitely agree with you when you say that the word terrorism has become "used in a variety of ways by the media, the government, and by other entities to drive their own agendas, such as ratings, legislation, or to sway public opinion (as seen in the two link above)."

The point that I was trying to make, is that the media tends not to call events like the Charlestown shooting terrorism when they should be.

Happy to put this argument to bed now, as anything else would be quibbling over details.

9. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

If they have those laws, then why the heck there is Terroristic threat??

:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

10. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd hazard the guess that they were meant to cover things like making bomb threats, but were written over broadly and used too frequently.

11. EsperJones

EsperJones Order Member

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  12. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony Prestige

High Score:
    The recent attack on a mosque by a white guy has been universally referred to as a terrorist act.

13. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

Spicer's now out. I wonder who is stupid enough to take the job.

I don't really pity Spicer, he deserved what he got for selling out to Trump. But I just realized Trump could pick someone worse. No one with any intelligence will want the job, and Trump might find someone happy to take the job. I'd hate to see someone like Richard Spencer lead press briefings.

14. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

This is actually fucking brilliant campaign strategy. The only thing they forgot to do was take the voter file down after the election was over.

EDIT: Also calling it here. Ossoff loses 49-51. There's no way his contact universe is large enough for the expected turnout.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  15. Invictus

Invictus Heir

What? As in, can you elaborate on that?

16. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Okay, so say you want to coordinate with a group for TV ads, say a Super PAC. Technically, it's illegal for you to do so. The workaround is putting hours upon hours of b roll footage on your Youtube channel, and letting various people do what they will with the footage.

Now saw you leave your data open for a third party. You're not coordinating. You're just coordinating.

17. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Order Member

Sorta like when the Cruz campaign uploaded 12 hours of raw footage onto youtube for their PAC, yeah?

I also distinctly remember Martin O'Malley's campaign being really blatant about it too.

e: fuck you already referenced that

18. Nazgus

Nazgus Death Eater

Well damn. Turns out I am nowhere near cynical enough for politics. Reverse Hanlon's Razor I guess?

19. Aurion

Aurion Headmaster

I really wish I could say that this is in any way, shape, or form surprising.

But it really really isn't. It's just unusually brazen, really...

20. bob99

bob99 High Inquisitor

I may be cynical, but I thought that was considered a technicality that wasn't enforced. Coordination is the norm, isn't it?