1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Jun 15, 2017.

1. BTT

BTT Headmaster

And to think Clinton is the one more often accused of being a lizard person.

2. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Headmaster

Missouri Governor Eric Greitens was just arrested for Felony Invasion of Privacy.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article201629499.html

i'm laughing a bit at this though:

E: Ahahaha the statute of limitations would've run out next month. HE ALMOST MADE IT

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  3. pbluekan

pbluekan High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

4. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Which, to be perfectly frank, is impressive.

5. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

My PA friends and I have been going back and forth about this for nearly a year. None of us were completely certain until recently. 8 years ago when it looked like Costello would replace Gerlach we all called him 'Republican Hair Piece' because that's literally all he had going for him.

Now? Especially with his post redistricting comments and increasingly erratic behavior? Yeah he's lost it completely. Pretty sure the tracker on that race will have some stories after it's over. Regardless of outcome I hope he gets the help he needs.

6. Invictus

Invictus Totally Sirius

I wonder if this school shooting with harm Scott's attempt to take Nelson's Senate seat.

It's almost like they don't care and just want to insult everyone. Wait. It's exactly like that.

7. pbluekan

For your perusal:

The official DC indictment filed today - United States of America V. Paul J. Manafort, Jr.

This is not the 32 count EDVA indictment filed yesterday.

8. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

It more or less ended it. Scott skipped the Parkland forum. They might still have a campaign, with lots of spending, but he's not winning this year.

9. Invictus

Invictus Totally Sirius

Thank God. Fuck that NRA lapdog.

10. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    If anyone is interested, the rebuttal memo to Devin Nunes's idiotic hit piece of several weeks ago was released today.

It is heavily redacted, but from what I can see, it is accurate.

11. fire

fire Auror

So Trump attacked immigration again by repeating the allegory of the Snake.

I saved you, cried the woman. And you’ve bitten me, heavens why?
    You know your bite is poisonous and now I’m going to die.
    Oh, shut up, silly woman, said the reptile with a grin.
    You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in.

I don't know why, but this revolted me in a way all Trump's other instances of bigotry/ignorance/callousness didn't. I mostly take Trump's outrages with grim forbearance, since he is what he is, and there's nothing to do but vote him and his enablers out when the opportunity so presents. And yet this... it's just totally dehumanizing. He's not accusing them of being rapists and murderers and criminals, rather, Trump's saying that they're not even human.

This is literally what the Nazis said about the Jews, and what the Hutu extremists said about the Tutsis! Such thinking is dangerous beyond words; it is poison; and it is the germ of genocide. You might think I'm being melodramatic, but if you have studied the history of genocide, you'll know that it doesn't happen like lightning from a clear blue sky - people don't just wake up one day and decide to kill their neighbours. The actual killings must be preceded by a propaganda campaign (whether organized or spontaneous) to dehumanize the outgroup - to persuade people that they are less than human, that they aren't worthy of moral consideration, that the normal rules governing how we treat others don't apply to them.

It won't be apparent, until the end. Maybe there will be sporadic violence on the way, but by and large it'll just be hateful words, and it's easier and more convenient to ignore them. And then finally one day, the Germans/Hutus/<Insert Group Here> wake up, and decide to kill their neighbours.

And by then it'll be too late.

12. awinarock

awinarock Heir

No one's ignoring Trump's hateful words. I think there's enough people speaking out against Trump and his belligerent rhetoric that we don't really have to worry about a repeat of the Holocaust/Rwandan genocide. Is he an ignorant, racist, and sexist asshole? Definitely. Is he the next Hitler? I doubt it. I'll start worrying when members of the press and political opponents start being arrested.

13. Invictus

Invictus Totally Sirius

FDR arrested thousands of Japanese-American citizens. That didn't make him Hitler. "Only Good Jap is a Dead Jap" propaganda didn't lead to mass pogroms against Asians in the US.

Calm down and actually think before ranting like this. If you can actually start pointing out to armed militias hunting and executing immigrants (which despite Hollywood love to depicting them doing just that I never saw a instance if real life os such Mad Max situations) with the active or silent agreement of the military and police forces, then you can worry about things starting to become like these countries.
    --- Post automerged ---
    http://politi.co/2EW7X2J
    Seems like DCC is refusing to endorse Lipinski, which isn't that shocking. Dems have been signalling that abortion might be a litmus test in reality no matter what the leadership says, like the Tea Party rhetoric overtaking some of GOP former points. Could be DCC is confident enough that it will regain the House that having a clean up of the members that might give them problem with some big votes and media coverage a good idea.

However this lack of endorsement might just be a personal problem with Lipinski and Lipinski os trying to save his own ass by throwing it at the national spotlight as a "Dems hate centrists" thing. @Giovanni any idea?

Edit: Feinstein not getting California Dems endorsement is also another one that could go either towards moderate established politicians or personal infighting.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  14. Jarizok

Jarizok Groundskeeper

Can someone tell me how Trump can make the argument that additional taxes for import promote ‘free’ trade? I do not follow.

15. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Because he's a fucking moron on this subject, and everything he's proposing about this steel/aluminum tariff is stupid.

First off, the main target of this tariff, if intended to be cheap Chinese steel, is not going to be the primary one hit with this, especially as China is 11th in percentage of countries from which the U.S. imports steel. The primary target, even if the Commerce Department isn't saying it aloud, is Canada, and while there's a part of me that thinks this might be intentional (NAFTA and trade talks are stalling out/the U.S. negotiators aren't equipped to play at all, you have the Bombardier/Boeing debacle, the gas mask trade controversy with the DoD, etc.), the fact that Trump likes to play for surprise with a broad brush makes me think this wasn't.

What makes it so goddamn stupid is because of integrated economies and cross-border supply chains and manufacturing, which with this tariff jacks up prices across the board for both U.S. and Canadian manufacturing (particularly in finished goods in the automotive sector) at every point of border contact... and not all of this can be passed down to consumers of said products, which hurts your primary trade partner and industries in your own damn country before Canada even considers retaliatory measures, which you can bet if this is signed off will come - protectionism works both ways. That's why both the Dow Jones and TSX finished down on even the possibility of this getting signed, and it's likely to get worse.

The final teaser: Trump's own construction projects have used Chinese steel in recent years, and since they're not obliged to play nice in the same way as Canada, his own projects through the supply chain will be hurt by this. Fucking imbecile.

16. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    In short, if this is done, car prices will go up a lot, and people in US manufacturing in Tennessee/Kentucky (VW, Toyota, Honda) and the Carolinas (BMW, Mini, etc.) and Detroit and elsewhere are going to lose their jobs when the demand curve jerks to meet the new prices.

Imbecile.

17. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Well I'm convinced he knows what he's doing.

18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Dunno what ya'll's problem is. Seems like you just didn't go to the Trump School of Economics. Here's the course 101 (now at a discount for only $35,000/seminar):

Easy!

Edit: As an aside, I had to smile a bit about the EU-answers we are considering. Tariffs on Harley-Davidson and bourbon? Sounds somewhat odd, until you consider that Harley-Davidson sits in Milwaukee, and Jim Beam in Kentucky (I wanted to link McConnell here, but naturally he is invisible).

Anyway, Trump won't sign it until next week, so he has of course enough time to change his mind twenty times.

19. pbluekan

I was going to mention this. He hasn’t gotten much done because of this. I’m not terribly worried about his tariff ideas. It will likely go the same way as all his other moronic bluster.

20. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I was reading today that apparently no one had been prepared for Trump's announcement of the tariffs, no one had told State or Commerce that it would be happening, let alone looping in the Congressional Leadership on the decision. Really a stunning example of how not to run a Government. Trump seems to think its like one of his businesses, and he gets to just announce things and they happen.