1. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Q4 2019 Story Competition is kicking off!

Prompt:
    Foreign Magical Regions (Setting outside of Britain)
    Get writing Folks!
    Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium 3: The Gang Gets Impeached

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Oment, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

We are overdue a new thread tbh...

2. Nevermind

Nevermind Auror

High Score:
    May I suggest an image for the OP?
    87849FC7-B2CF-41FE-8774-AFA1993806BA.png

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Administrator Admin

Oh hey I think you're right.

4. Conquistador

Conquistador Professor

High Score:
    I'm all for (successful) impeachment, but are we really inviting political discussion with a megathread title that take a stance on impeachment.

This is a discussion forum and part of what makes it so special is reading opinions you might not encounter irl. Do we really want the forum itself taking an official political stance?

I want to hear the opinions of people that want Trump to stay in office because I'm genuinely interested. I don't think this title is conducive to that goal.

Ultimately, this is a relatively small problem that I don't care that much about. That said, it has a quick fix and is certainly worth discussing.

5. Silens Cursor

Silens Cursor The Silencer DLP Supporter

Yes, when the stance is of common fucking sense and decency.

Hell, I think anyone defending the racist, sexist, imbecilic and proto-fascist kleptocrat currently running the U.S. and through his negligence betrayed your nation's greatest ally in the middle east to get slaughtered by Turks (who are currently also hitting civilian targets, because of course they are) at the behest of Russia needs to make their case against it, not the other way around.

6. Innomine

Innomine Headmaster ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Just imagine how high and mighty you can act if he doesn't get impeached.

7. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones

Is there anyone on this site that is pro-Trump? Conservatives and Republicans, yes, but pro-Trump?

8. Nazgus

Nazgus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

I think maybe Vlad was, but he's long gone

9. Microwave

Microwave Groundskeeper

The title is funny, and that's all that matters.

10. Innomine

High Score:
    This. This is not a place that is seeped in PC culture.

And if you start censoring one thread title on the basis on politicisation, you suddenly set a precedent to do it on all threads.

11. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

It's a joke. Chill

12. ThePinkTomato

ThePinkTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You saw the last two thread titles, yeah?

13. Anumidium

Anumidium First Year

Pro-Trump (or at least not anti) moderate here for roll call! Radical centrism for the win!

14. Longsword

Longsword Groundskeeper

How do you reconcile the two ? Trump's out and out calls for meddling is moderate ?

15. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you are willing to, I'd love you to outline your position a bit more. What has you in favour of Trump? Is there anything you disagree with him on

16. Innomine

High Score:
    I’d just like to add that I’d be really interested in hearing from the pro trump side of this board as well.

Can we get some sort of no lynching rule in place? Whistleblower protections? Or at the very least be civil in this conversation?

I would find it extremely valuable to be able to better understand the perspective of the pro trump crowd (from a personal and professional standpoint).

17. Agayek

Agayek Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

I'm not pro-Trump by any means, as I'd like to think I've made pretty clear, but a lot (possibly even most) of it is more because Trump ranges from total sleaze to completely incompetent, rather than objections to policy positions (or, perhaps more accurately, to the ideas and goals underlying said positions).

For example, the fact that, by our best (and likely lowball) guess, ~4% of the people residing within the US aren't legally allowed to be here is a problem, and one that needs to be addressed because between current economic projections and climate change, the ratio is only going to get worse. The primary reason for this is less about economics and jobs, though that is a factor, and more about sovereignty. At the most fundamental level, a state's sovereignty is defined by its ability to enforce its rules over its territory, which most definitely (and I would say most importantly) includes controlling who is and is not allowed access to said territory. Illegal immigration, therefore, is a direct attack on American sovereignty, and while no single person crossing the border will spell the immediate end of the nation, the more consistently the rules are flouted, the less they mean, and the death of a thousand cuts is a very real thing.

Combine this with the fact that no one has a right to immigrate, it's a privilege granted by the destination nation (albeit one most nations should and generally do extend), one that the destination nation can rescind at any time to any applicant, and I feel like border security is immensely important. And the Democrats refusal to accept anything less than the total irrelevance of the borders is fundamentally a long-term and insidious threat to the foundations of the country.

At the same time, however, the solution isn't to round up migrants into camps and forget about them, or spend $50b flagrantly violating international law to build a wall that twenty minutes and a trip to a hardware store renders completely useless. My ideal solution involves trimming the bureaucracy and increasing funding for the immigration offices, to get response times to under a year, along with significantly increased funding and training for ICE and a hard stance from the federal government to stamp out the sanctuary city nonsense.

So yeah, as a general rule, I tend to either agree with, or at least understand the reasoning behind, many Republican positions, but the complete clusterfuck that has been Trump (and honestly, most Republican politicians over the last half decade or so) means I rarely vote in their favor. If they're not being too cartoonishly evil to do something decent, they're being too stupid, and it's depressing to think about.

18. kelkorkesis

kelkorkesis Second Year

High Score:
    This isn't thread for it but it is tiring to see such misinformation around about this issue. Turkey has no problem with Kurds. Current ruling party, AKP, has many Kurds in it. Turkey has amicable relations with Iraqi Kurdistan (Erdoğan cut the ribbon of their first international airport for example). There are 13 million Kurds living in Turkey and 40% of them votes for Erdoğan. The problem is PKK/YPG/"Any other rebranding". This genocide narrative is simply absurd.

19. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    Shouldn't being radical centrist place you still on the left from most of Democrats?

20. DR

DR Secret Squirrel ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "We have no problem with the Kurds, just the ones who want self-governance."