1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice

The Trumperium of Mankind

Discussion in 'Politics' started by fire, Jan 20, 2017.

?

New Thread Title?

1. Trumperium 2: We Shall Overcomb

18.5%
  2. Trumperium 2: Remember, no Russian

13.8%
  3. Trumperium 2: Executive Dis Order

12.3%
  4. Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

36.9%
  5. Trumperium 2: From Russia with Love

18.5%
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDiddy

BDiddy Second Year

This might be the craziest POTUS press conference ever. It's so adversarial, even when it doesn't need to be because Trump hates Media outlets. He just said BBC is like CNN, which obviously means it's fake news.

I don't think he's had a cordial answer to any answer at all. Straight confrontational.

Good lord.

2. Ryriena

Ryriena Second Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Jesus Christ that press conference was legendary. Trump vs The Media, holyshit.

4. Ryriena

High Score:
  5. EsperJones

EsperJones Order Member

...becoming?

6. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Post reports Flynn lied to the FBI when he was interviewed last month.

Felony.

7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

What are the actual, realistic chances that he will be prosecuted?

8. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Depends on whether Sessions has the balls to sign off on it.

So 1 or 2 chances in 5.

9. Ryriena

High Score:
    He was already broaderline unhinged but after this press conference he has broken free and became fully unhinged.

10. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Today in Trumpistan:

So last week, it came out that the CIA had denied a clearance to one of Flynn's deputies at the National Security Council.

Yesterday, it came out that Flynn's clearance was revoked pending review. Odds are he won't ever get it back.

Today, Politico reports that another six White House staffers failed the most basic round of clearance investigations, and had to be walked out of the building. Including his scheduler.

--

Edit: LOL

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  11. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

Apparently the guy who was offered the job to replace Flynn, Bob Harward, turned it down.

CNN

12. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Order Member

Hahahaha oh man. I can't decide if I'm happy or not, because Harward is reportedly very competent.

13. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

It seems Trump is doing a Mainstream Media Accountability Survey.

I wonder if they are measuring the support they will get to restrict the media. It also accepts donations from people to contribute to working against the Mainstream Media.

14. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Looks like they're gunning to revoke CNN's and MSNBC's press credentials.

15. Agayek

Agayek Dark Lord

This... disturbs me on a pretty fundamental level. Not only that Trump is doing it, but also that both networks have legitimate reason to worry about an impartial accountability check.

16. awinarock

awinarock The Chosen One

I think they're just putting up a poll that they're going to use as justification for pushing an agenda that aims at restricting access and maybe even more . And holy shit are those "survey" questions leading as fuck.

17. Banta

Banta The Chosen One DLP Supporter

What's really funny (sad(!)) is that it asks for money when you finish it.

18. Azira

Azira High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

19. Ryriena

High Score:
    This was the most cringe worthy of press conferences. He ranted and raved about the media and litterly called for a Jewish reporter to sit down and be quiet. And asked the black news reporter to set up a meeting with the black congress members. :wall: By saying you know them their friends of yours..."

20. Oment

Oment The Betrayer

Unfortunately for Trump, his survey (along with being hilariously leading. Were I to have handed those questions in at uni, I would have received a failing grade) made one crucial mistake: it's a not-very-veiled attack on the established press. Even if it's not the first time he's done such a survey, now he actually has power behind him to act on the results. And, as we've seen from the responses to Leveson in the UK, nobody in the press really likes it when you start throwing around restrictions for a variety of reasons. The UK papers accepted some changes regarding accountability, for example, but they still prefer - logically - to be more self-regulating and less government-regulated.

This is why one Fox News anchor is also peeved with the President's treatment of the media (with CNN being one example mentioned in these clips): ideology aside, there's a professional standard and an obligation to [the US public/the truth/the advertisers/whatever] that journalists feel they should uphold, and none of them are going to like it when you attack them and limit them in their actions, especially if dictated through laws. You might not be the one on the chopping block now, but a different government might be antagonistic towards you and yours. Better to avoid the possibility and all.

Do CNN and MSNBC have issues with bias in their reporting? Of course they bloody do. Every outlet does: be it deliberate (like hiding damning information or not retracting it when it has become demonstrably false), by accident (because they were given wrong information, cf. eyewitness accounts, or misreading given information), or even institutional (e.g. a defence of the Murdoch media empire in a Murdoch-owned newspaper). This is a feature of journalism: eking out a niche without providing an opinion is asking to be doomed to fail, especially on television. Modern society doesn't want dry facts. Modern society wants scandal, salacious details, scoops. (Of which I am as guilty as basically anyone in this thread, and more than some probably.) CNN, MSNBC, any cable channel being the corporations that they are (or belong to, w/e), they want to turn a profit. This is logical behaviour and shouldn't be some revelation to anyone who's got a quarter of a brain.

Back to the topic of restrictions. No. Hell no. Insert all the clich├ęs you like about free marketplace of ideas, call me a biased regressive leftist anti-American European gay Jewish commie cuck* for all I care. The be-all-end-all of this matter is that restricting press access, on this scale, to the executive branch is, in my view, likely to do far greater damage to any free country than whatever benefits it may offer. It decreases media plurality, and it forces self-censorship in those who still have their access. Questions that may be tough will not be asked and disagreement with the official line might be stifled in an effort to keep that vaunted permit of being able to directly report on what the White House is actually doing. That disturbs and scares me on a fundamental level.

*Did I get all of the common r/t_d 'insults'? Some of them are actually true, mind.