1. Hey Guest, welcome back to DLP

As you can see, we've changed our look. We've migrated from vBulletin to the Xenforo forum system. There may be issues or missing functionality, if you find anything or have feedback, please check out the new Xenforo Migration Feedback forum.

Our dark ("Dark Lord Potter") theme is under heavy development. We also have a light ("Light Lord Potter") theme for those happier with a light background and darker text.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest! Are you any good at cooking? Got a favourite recipe that you love to cook or bring out to impress that special someone? Why not share it! A new forum called The Burrow has opened and it's all about homemaking!

The Trumperium of Mankind

Discussion in 'Politics' started by fire, Jan 20, 2017.

?

New Thread Title?

1. Trumperium 2: We Shall Overcomb

18.5%
  2. Trumperium 2: Remember, no Russian

13.8%
  3. Trumperium 2: Executive Dis Order

12.3%
  4. Trumperium 2: Caesar by the Pussy

36.9%
  5. Trumperium 2: From Russia with Love

18.5%
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banta

Banta The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. Solfege

Solfege High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Yea, he'd decided by the beginning of the week after Comey's several weeks of "attention-hogging" and went to Sessions and Rosenstein for a written validation.

Very amusing interview with the Economist.

Falsehoods and self-delusions aside, Trump's been adopting Keynesian terminology for longer than he remembers, as Vox notes.

Does he even know what a VAT is...? "I pay it every year, and every year they send it back?"

3. Darth_Revan

Darth_Revan Secret Squirrel Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm gonna lay this out in basic outline for those of you wondering why Trump's motivation in firing Director Comey matters:

If the President, in his official capacity, fired Comey in an attempt to impede/tamper with/stifle/otherwise affect an ongoing federal investigation, whether or not he is a subject of said investigation, but in which he has a material interest, that would be chargeable as federal corruption (abuse of powers), obstruction of justice, and interfering in an FBI action.

His stated reason was that it was in response to the recommendations of the AG and DAG. He then said he was planning on doing it anyway, and the DAG disputes the claim regardless. Multiple well-sourced media reports also show that he was angry that Russia was such a focus and that Comey wouldn't 'shut it down'.

You decide.

4. FriedIce

FriedIce Seventh Year

He'll be sticking everything he does as expenses against his business - businesses get VAT back.

5. Solfege

I'm not disputing that he gets his VAT back, as his accountant must surely tell him. What I'm pointing out is whether he understands what a VAT is.

Seems just another example of the affect bias. "I like the experience I've had, therefore the entire shebang must be good."

"Coke products make me feel warm and fuzzy, therefore I'll put down on a few hundred thousand stock, without examining whether it's currently undervalued."

Not that specifics really matter, I suppose, so long as Mnuchin et al continue to enable his ego, as in the interview, and set forth papers for him to rubber-stamp.

He only has to license his name to sell it, right? Protecting Brand Trump comes first.

6. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    This is accurate. State has a pretty bad reputation for information security/adherence to classification standards. This is mostly down to the notoriously lax practices of the Diplomatic Corps. They say in their defense that they do a lot of work 'outside the wire', but that's no excuse.

This is fairly amusing. Two possible things happened (or both): Either the WH didn't bother to pass along the names they needed vetted, or it was checked and the security folks didn't think it was an issue. I'm guessing the second.

It wasn't a security concern, really, it's just that the WH got tricked and they feel mad about it.

Frankly, any rookie could have told them this would happen, they're just too stupid to realise it themselves. The Russian Foreign Ministry has a solid reputation of being on top of their public relations game when it comes to interactions with the US.

7. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

I thought the White House and Trump were pissed because they specifically banned American journalists access which first off says one thing, but secondly because on the White House ledgers of who they were meeting Sergey Kislyak's name was notably absent. You know, the guy widely considered to have had great influence and helped orchestrate all the election shenanigans. That guy.

So for some reason the administration went to great lengths to organize a secretive meeting, only for photo's to emerge of Trump smiling and shaking his hand.

That's why they are pissed.

8. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    Their stated reason for being angry was that they weren't told that Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov's 'personal photographer' was also a photographer for TAS, the state news agency, and that they did not know photos would be released.

Exactly why those photos being released would be an additional embarrassment is another matter, I guess. I'll take your word for it, but I haven't heard that from other sources yet. Links?

9. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

I try. I really do try. I really fucking do try to look at both sides objectively and analyze the points of view feeding them. I want to find some point to compromise on.

But to call Trump anything other than an idiot is absurd. This isn't political doubletalk or circular logic or buzzwords...it's incoherence.

Even Brietbart is losing faith in his failure to deliver on his promises:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0ugNFafVV4

And yet people are still convinced that he is somehow playing a part because he's such a keen businessman? He speaks like a lost, unintelligible, old man who can't finish a single disjointed thought. I see similar rambling in my low-functioning autistic kids. And that's not to disparage my low-functioning autistic kids. They will most likely exceed Trump's speaking ability before they graduate.

10. Solfege

Issue conservatives are quite happy with the big ticket items so far. Trump has delivered Gorsuch and hundreds of like judges over the next four years. A Sessions-run DOJ is much preferable to a Holder-type DOJ. He's prioritizing deregulation and enabling what conservatives would consider a healthy skepticism that we didn't toss out the baby with the bathwater over the Paris Accords or the Iranian deal.

Trump may be incoherent; he may be a greedy, indecorous opportunist diminishing the office in ways unseen since Nixon, but the majority of those conservatives who held their noses to vote him in as a means to an end are very probably much happier vs. a third Obama term.

Promises to 5D chess believers were rarely going to be delivered in any literal part.

Also, I'm hearing along the grapevine that Trump plans to posthumously donate his tax returns to the Trump Library and Monument to be set on 834 acres somewhere midtown between Central Park South and 110th St. Currently in negotiations to purchase.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  11. Darth_Revan

High Score:
    They just fished two corpses out of the Great Pond this week (people who apparently drowned for some reason; why anyone who would swim there is beyond me). If he so much as tries it, Manhattanites would happily add a third.

Length, width, height, time and....bullshit?

12. Solfege

I assumed redditors had upgraded by now to some ungodly transcendental fifth dimension.

I fucking hate the idea too. This came quite accidentally, and incidentally, my way from a source with the personal history to know persons close to Trump. Now I want to see if I can anonymously talk through some people I know about the possibility of these "extensive and secretive negotiations." Just in case.

13. nath1607

nath1607 Groundskeeper

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/862343231366934529

The image has the White Houses release of the meeting.

Notably this meeting happened the day after Comey was fired, so it could have just been optics given Kislyak's role in the Russian interference. Given the reaction to the photos afterwards though, I'm personally suspicious.

14. Dark Belra

Dark Belra Minister of Magic

Is Trump losing it guys? The day has barely started and he has threatened Comey about leaks of their conversations. And he has also thrown out the idea to cancel all press briefings because it is hard to always talk with 'perfect accuracy'.

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

No, he's just being Trump.

Leaving aside that he doesn't even care for accuracy, so regardless of whatever form of communication, it would just be the same lies anyway (cf: his -- written -- tweeting history), it's probably even true. Trump is the dark and extroverted version of myself; he's all of my downsides with none of the upsides.

So I, too, find it hard to talk with 'perfect accuracy' off the cuff, picking just the right words to say and having a clear structure, and prefer written communication if that kind of accuracy is needed; it's got something to do with how you process information. However, I'm not the president of the United States, and as such, that statement is ridiculous. Or in other words, Trumpish.

By the way, here's why you will be stuck with Trump for a long while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You see the problem.

16. Perspicacity

Perspicacity High Score: 3,994 Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    For what it's worth, a large part of the "classified at the time" emails were simply cases of forwarding media reports and articles that contained classified material. It's not criminal mishandling of classified matter to share such over open channels unless attention is drawn to the classification status, in which case there's a possible argument to be made of criminal intent. This is why the Abedin emails were a nothing burger.

The interview with Lester Holt was amusing. Here's the money quote:

In other words, he just admitted to felonious obstruction with an ongoing investigation on national television.

17. wordhammer

wordhammer Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

... that the Washington Post can't line up bar graphs in a meaningful way?

Or that 84% of Republican would rather double-down on a bad bet than admit that they were wrong?

18. NuitTombee

NuitTombee Supreme Mugwump

Some of those looked odd to me, is there some other poll option that was given, and just not shown, because not all of them equal 100% together.

*I added a close approximation of where the percentages lined up.
    [​IMG]

19. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Er, what are you trying to do? I suppose it should be linked in the WaPo article (or you could google the survey), but it's clear that "All" includes Republicans, Independents, and Democrats, and that those (the latter three) aren't equally large groups, right?

20. NuitTombee

NuitTombee Supreme Mugwump

Yes...

I was assuming that the opposing votes, i.e Appropriate vs. Inappropriate or Serious Issue vs. Distraction, for each group would equal 100%. However not all of them total 100% that I can see.

Edit: Perhaps this will better illustrate my point.

[​IMG]

Not open for further replies.